PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Phoenix Knight: A Fighter Archetype (PEACH)

PapaQuackers
2016-10-13, 06:33 AM
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJZ_hHfkJe

This is the rough draft of a new Fighter archetype that revolves around self healing, doing some fire damage, and protecting those around you. Let me know what you think!

Lalliman
2016-10-13, 10:54 AM
Cool idea. I find it hard to estimate the balance, but it doesn’t seem grossly out of line. I was going to say that the lingering fire effect of Rejuvenating Flames might be a bit much and that the Con-to-Persuasion part of Born in Flame would’ve caused a jarringly big improvement in one level, but I see that you’ve removed those since I last read it. Seems like the right call.

One problem that remains, now that I look at it again, is The Flames of Life. At the level you get it, it will restore an average of 20 HP to all allies within 30 feet. That’s more powerful than Mass Cure Wounds, a 5th level spell, and you can cast it three times per short rest. At best it should heal your allies for half the amount you receive. I also suggest that you make Rejuvenating Flames of the Phoenix consume one use of Second Wind, both to tie the effects together and to prevent having access to sooo much healing.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-15, 06:07 PM
Updated the class quite a bit, gave it some flavor, and put it into the home brewery. Let me know what you think peeps.

Sir cryosin
2016-10-17, 11:08 AM
Ok so rejuvinating flames is find it not op because the tempest cleric does I think (afb) 2 or 3 d8 if someone hits them and they only have so many times they can do that which is more time then this. Now warlocks have the spell hellish rebuke whick is a first lv spell it does 3d10 damage doing more then then this ability. Now the other ability and spell may be able to do more damage and more often but. With rejuvenating flames your getting heal back so. I say it a far ability no need to change any more. BUT I'm afb so I cant remember if you get second wind back on a short rest if so I might change it so you don't get 2 second wind. But what you could play around with is instead of getting a second second wind just make it recharge on a short rest.

Now for Comforting Warmth I would change the persuasion skill for any intelligent bace skill. This is to represent the knowledge you would acquire throught your many lifes.

Wings of the soul is find I like it but you can't give things out for free. So make it a reaction to use this ability. You also gain res to fire damage.

All encompassing flame I'll would get rid of the temp hp you don't need that.

Born from ash I would change it to when you make a death savings throw and succeed a burst of flames engolf your body in fire quickly buring you. From your smoldering ashes you rise with half of your hp. You can use this ability a number of times equal to you Constitution modifier per long rest.

I really like the feel of this archtype I think I'm going to use it in my campaign. Create a order of Phoenix Lights the are guards in my city runs buy wizards.

P.S I know I'm one to be talking, but you should go back and check your spelling there are a few that's not right. Good luck and it's a cool archtype.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-17, 11:25 AM
Wings of the soul isn't a reaction because it has limited uses. If it were a reaction itd be a slightly improved fighting style at 10th

Without the temporary hp its the 3rd level SCAG fighter archetype ability at 15th level.

Capstone suggestion is way more powerful than mine and less flavorful so thats a no.

As for second wind damage I've done the math and even if its 2x per short rest its in line with other archetypes.

Thanks for the feedback.

StarvingGamer
2016-10-17, 07:48 PM
No real balance thoughts, just a couple Q's.

Wings of the soul refers to you as having wings despite them never being mentioned anywhere previously. Are they literal feathery wings that just don't fly? Do ethereal spirit wings spring from the body?

Also I'm assuming the egg can be broken and that just kills the Fighter outright? Or is that not the case.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-17, 08:59 PM
Wings of the soul is referring to flaming wings that sprout from your body to protect people. Ill clear it up in the text but its referring to the phoenix who melded with your soul.

Destroying the egg will turn it to ash, it won't kill you it'll just make it impossible to transport you.