PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a shadow type armor?

ArtikSnow
2016-10-13, 07:27 AM
Hey all my dm is allowing use to take one item of any kind when we start. I am looking for a good light or medium armor that has good stats that looks like it's made of Shadows. If you know of any please link me I will be most greatful.

Necroticplague
2016-10-13, 07:43 AM
+1 Halfweight Full Plate made using the iron produced by a Shadow Conjuration (Wall of Iron).

ArtikSnow
2016-10-13, 07:52 AM
+1 Halfweight Full Plate made using the iron produced by a Shadow Conjuration (Wall of Iron).
Is there a picture of it? Or is it just a made in game?

ArtikSnow
2016-10-13, 07:57 AM
Forgot to mention this is also for spell caster.

Venger
2016-10-13, 08:21 AM
Hey all my dm is allowing use to take one item of any kind when we start. I am looking for a good light or medium armor that has good stats that looks like it's made of Shadows. If you know of any please link me I will be most greatful.

Do you want the armor to give you any kind of special powers?

If it's purely cosmetic, then you might ask the gm if he can just handwave it. if not, then I'd go for glamered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#glamered) armor and say you make it look like shadows when it's visible. that way it won't add too much to the cost of your eventual armor enhancements.

BowStreetRunner
2016-10-13, 08:25 AM
Page 155 of the Tome of Magic has Shadow Silk armors. Padded, Leather, and Hide can all be made from the stuff. They have an increased Maximum Dexterity Bonus and decreased Armor Check Penalties. The Arcane Spell Failure chance also goes down when in areas of shadowy illumination or darkness. They also weigh less and if damaged (but not destroyed) the armor will regenerate while in areas of shadowy illumination or darkness.

Fizban
2016-10-13, 08:48 AM
While there are plenty of illustrations in DnD books, the vast majority of anything is not. Furthermore, the best armor for your character is usually not an existing specific set at all, but a custom combination of effects that works best for you, which will not have a picture for obvious reasons. Items in dnd are either made from physical materials that will look like physical materials, or are magic items that can essentially look like whatever you want as long as it's still clear what it is.

You would be better served to find a picture you like, then ask someone how they might stat it up in DnD. However, the fact that your DM has said you can "take one item of any kind," leads me to believe they ether don't know much about magic items in DnD, or did not mean magic items.

If you have been granted a non-magical suit of armor of your choice, then the shadow silk armor already mentioned is the closest you're going to find, but be warned it's not as protective as other starting armor you could get normally: shadow silk is useful only for absurdly high dexterity characters or people very concerned about how much weight they're carrying.

If you have been granted the ability to "take" any magic item you want, you should tell your DM that's not a good idea and go look up the Wealth by Level chart on DMG 135 for how to equip characters starting above 1st level. The basic armor ability Shadow could be reasonably described as "looks like it's made of shadow" with no special effort.

Darrin
2016-10-13, 08:54 AM
Shadow Silk armor, Tome of Magic p. 155. There's three versions: padded, leather, and hide. Hide is somewhat comparable to studded leather, but x100 the cost. You get a +2 untyped bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks, and the armor can repair itself in shadowy/dark illumination.

BowStreetRunner
2016-10-13, 08:56 AM
Shadow Silk armor, Tome of Magic p. 155. There's three versions: padded, leather, and hide. Hide is somewhat comparable to studded leather, but x100 the cost. You get a +2 untyped bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks, and the armor can repair itself in shadowy/dark illumination.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Hide/Move Silently bonus. Good catch!