PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [CR 4 Tactical Monster] The Soul Leecher [PEACH]

Gastronomie
2016-10-13, 10:19 AM
So I have this image of a parasite-ish monster which wraps itself around the head of monsters/humanoids and feeds upon its soul, while bestowing physical vigor upon the target. Sorta like doping, or illegal drugs.

This monster is designed to be both a nasty buffer and a nasty resource-eater at the same time. It may start off attached to an enemy (who will no doubt be buffed like hell), but if the original target is slain, it may attempt to bite at the adventurers, or alternatively, start sucking the life of another enemy, empowering him next. The adventurers are forced to take some time attacking this guy, unless they want to suffer from less resources and more buffed enemies incoming.

Soul Leechers, resembling worms with membrane wings, are unfathomable aberrations native to the Outer Planes. Some whisper they are the offspring of otherworldly entities, while others claim they are the creations of a vile wizard which later found refuge in the world outside the multiverse. No one truly knows.
Soul-Devourers. Soul Leechers suck the raw life force of victims, especially favoring sentient beings over others, to fuel their bodies and survive. While they do so, the life force of the victims undergo a distinctive reinvigoration - their muscles are bolstered, their minds become clear, and they gain supernatural agility. However, as the entire soul of the victim is sucked away, the victims suddenly experience heavy exhaustion and eventually die, their souls forever devoured by the Soul Leecher.
Summoned for Battle. In certain cultures and empires, Soul Leechers are summoned by spellcasters and used to empower their warriors in battle. This is a dangerous, as well as somewhat instinctively unpleasent method of usage that is generally considered a taboo in most areas of the world, but yet, fanatic cultists and the most loyal of soldiers gladly welcome being invigorated by these eldritch parasites.

Variant: Summoned Soul Leechers
Soul Leechers summoned through a vile ritual are obedient to their summoner. In these cases, if the summoner commands so, the Soul Leecher leeches only 1 Hit Die from the target of its Soul Leech ability per ten minutes, instead of per round, greatly extending the length at which it can be used to empower its targets.
If the summoner dies or becomes unconscious, or disappears into a different world from the one in which the Soul Leecher currently exists, the Soul Leecher starts to leech Hit Die as normal.

(In Combat)
The Soul Leecher is incapable of intelligent thought, and behaves instinctively instead of tactically. Unless it has good reason not to do so, it will attempt to latch itself onto either the nearest target, or a near target with the most Hit Die left, and use its Soul Leech ability upon it. Unless it is Summoned, it does not care whether the target is a player character or an enemy NPC/Monster, but it generally attempts to go for sentient beings first. It will then keep on using Bite, till the target loses all its Hit Dice. Once a target loses all its Hit Dice and drops to 0 HP, the Leecher will detach itself and either go find another target, or simply flee from battle, its stomach already being full.

Soul Leechers with free will rarely attack creatures with a small number of Hit Dice (less life energy to siphon from), and will go for targets with more Hit Dice first.

A Summoned Soul Leecher does not use Bite upon its leeching target unless ordered to do so, for the Summoner wishes the target to live longer. It instead takes the Dodge Action every turn.

Soul Leecher
Medium Aberration, unaligned
Hit Points: 45 (10d8)
Speed: 0ft, fly 25 ft
AC: 13 (natural hide)
Str 12 (+1) Dex 12 (+1) Con 11 (+0)
Int 1 (-5) Wis 6 (-2) Cha 1 (-5)
Senses: Passive Perception 8, blindsight 120 ft
Languages: -
Challenge Rating: 4 (1100 XP)
Immutable Form. The Leecher is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
Semi-Ethereal Body. The Leecher can occupy another creature's space and vice versa.
Weigh Soul. The Leecher constantly understands how many Hit Die a creature (except a Construct or an Undead) within 120 feet has left.
Difficult to Dodge. The Leecher has advantage on its attacks.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one creature in the Leecher’s space
Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) piercing damage. The target must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target loses its largest Hit Die till he takes a long rest. If the target loses all Hit Die as a result of this ability, or if the target had 0 Hit Die before this effect was activated, his HP immediately becomes 0.
Soul Leech. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one creature in the Leecher’s space
Hit: The Leecher attaches itself to the target creature (except an Aberration, a Construct or an Undead) and starts to feed upon its soul, while empowering the victim's physical body at the same time. The target becomes under the effects of the Haste spell (PHB 250p), and it cannot attack or otherwise willingly harm the Soul Leecher.
At the end of each of the target’s turns, the target loses its largest Hit Die till he takes a long rest. If the target loses all Hit Die as a result of this ability, or if the target had 0 Hit Die before this effect was activated, his HP immediately becomes 0.
A creature may use his action to make a DC 11 Athletics check, prying the Leecher off a target on a success (if the target of this effect attempts this check, he does so with disadvantage). From then on, the Leecher does not target that old target with this ability for the next 24 hours.
When activating this ability, a Soul Leecher cannot target a creature who is already the target of another Soul Leecher's Soul Leech ability.

Bonus Actions
Detach. The Leecher detaches itself from a target it is attached to with its Soul Leech ability.

Comments and constructive critisism greatly appreciated~!

JeenLeen
2016-10-13, 11:01 AM
My main critique is that Hit Die drain, unless I've just been lucky in games and am ignorant of the mechanics, is not something already in 5e. Adding it in makes using HD to heal during a short rest a dangerous action. I'm not sure how 'cool' it is to change that. This could be brutal or instantly fatal against a party that has already used up some or all of its HD to heal.

BUT, assuming that isn't an issue:
I think Soul Leech should require a save, for the attachment to be successful. Also, good word choice on not using Charmed status to keep the afflicted from hitting it, as immunity to Charm is perhaps too easy to get.
I also think you should words about being able to attack the leech, like how another character can try to pry it off. You can attack webs or a net on someone without risk of damaging them (Giant Spider text on webs, text on Net, in PHB), so makes sense you can attack this.

Could a group of 4 soul leeches all leech the same person, causing a level 4 PC to die at the end of its next round?

I do think this is a cool concept and a neat tactical element. I'm mainly worried about no-save and insta-killing (either by swarming one PC or by attacking PCs that already short-rested them away).

Minor critique: as Weigh Soul is worded, it seems that it can sense HD through walls and such. It can also sense other aberrations, constructs, and undead. Not sure if you want that or not, but I could see rewording it so that it is a line of sight (er, blindsight) ability and ignores constructs and undead.

Technical note: upon a re-read, the soul leech only drops to 0 HP if the target's last HD is drained. So a party with 0 HD left, due to already spending them all, is immune to soul leech?

Gastronomie
2016-10-15, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback~!

My main critique is that Hit Die drain, unless I've just been lucky in games and am ignorant of the mechanics, is not something already in 5e. Adding it in makes using HD to heal during a short rest a dangerous action. I'm not sure how 'cool' it is to change that. This could be brutal or instantly fatal against a party that has already used up some or all of its HD to heal.Well, I designed this as more of something that eats away at resources, but true, depending on how it's used, it may punish overusing resources. I might wanna change that if possible...

I think Soul Leech should require a save, for the attachment to be successful. Also, good word choice on not using Charmed status to keep the afflicted from hitting it, as immunity to Charm is perhaps too easy to get.
I also think you should words about being able to attack the leech, like how another character can try to pry it off. You can attack webs or a net on someone without risk of damaging them (Giant Spider text on webs, text on Net, in PHB), so makes sense you can attack this.Right now it's possible to detach the Leecher as an action, but perhaps I should make the original attachment require an attack roll. Thanks~

Could a group of 4 soul leeches all leech the same person, causing a level 4 PC to die at the end of its next round?Well, not that putting 4 CR 4 monsters against 1 level 4 PC is a good idea. But perhaps I should add that it can only target those who aren't already being leeched.

I do think this is a cool concept and a neat tactical element. I'm mainly worried about no-save and insta-killing (either by swarming one PC or by attacking PCs that already short-rested them away).It wouldn't be an insta-kill though, it just drops him to 0 HP. But thanks anyways.

Minor critique: as Weigh Soul is worded, it seems that it can sense HD through walls and such. It can also sense other aberrations, constructs, and undead. Not sure if you want that or not, but I could see rewording it so that it is a line of sight (er, blindsight) ability and ignores constructs and undead.I'm fine with it detecting stuff through walls, but you're right about constructs and undead. Thanks!

Technical note: upon a re-read, the soul leech only drops to 0 HP if the target's last HD is drained. So a party with 0 HD left, due to already spending them all, is immune to soul leech?Again, true. I should edit it. Just to note, a wild Leecher (not a summoned one) would not attempt an attack against someone without a Hit Die though - it wants to drain life energy, so it's no use attempting to suck from someone who has almost no life force left.

Thanks~!