PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4e Need help with a d20 Modern 4e conversion

Delicious Taffy
2016-10-13, 11:01 AM
I recently decided I needed a break from only running serious-business high fantasy campaigns with light comedy elements for levity. However, I didn't want to change systems from 4e, because learning another system as a method of relaxation seems counterproductive. So, I opted to find a middle ground and look for a more modern version of 4e. My search led me to this d20 Modern conversion (http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=434), which immediately caught my attention, with all its high-tech gadgetry and modern commodities like firearms and cars. The moment I finished skimming through it (I actually skim pretty thoroughly, but I don't know the word for that), I remembered I also have the Open Grave and Heroes of Shadow handbooks. My initial idea was to create a normal zombie-apocalypse campaign, but then I realised just how limited the options are if I want to stick specifically to zombies. I'd have to throw dozens of them at my players just for one decent encounter.

After considering things for a moment, I decided to go for a broader setting and add in demons, vampires, werewolves, and other things of that nature. I'm pretty confident in the concept of a modern-day setting with supernatural creatures and dark magic (see: Buffy, Angel, Supernatural), but I do have some concerns. As I'm still reasonably new to 4e and haven't yet learned entirely how things tick, I'd like some help from someone more experienced. Does the book I'm using have any glaring flaws, beyond some spelling, grammar, and formatting errors? I'm not super worried about having to rebalance my encounters, but I would like to know if there are any downright unusable features in this handbook.