PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for the new Evangelion movies.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-11, 01:24 AM
Or at the least the first movie (of four): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWj2mCm5TU

TSGames
2007-07-11, 01:41 AM
Or at the least the first movie (of four): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWj2mCm5TU
I will watch that movie no matter how bad it is.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-11, 09:17 AM
Despite the poor quality of the video, from what I can make out of the trailer a lot of it is familiar from the series (the first three movies are a retelling of the series), but there definitely seem to be some improvements, like sharper background/landscape detail and computer animation for one of the more "geometric" monsters.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-11, 09:45 AM
Funny, I thought they'd already redone Eva several times, just with differant music and character designs.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-12, 08:29 PM
Funny, I thought they'd already redone Eva several times, just with differant music and character designs.Yes, well, a lot more people seem to know about Evangelion than RahXephon, Gasaraki, Argento Soma, or Fafner:smallwink:

Teioh
2007-07-12, 10:11 PM
So, is this just a remixed version of the original series, just with sharper graphics and maybe a different ending? Either way, I'll still watch it, as I love me some Eva. Ah, and I didn't catch any glimpse of Asuka in trailer, which was a bit odd, seeing as they had most of the rest of the cast. Was a good deal of Rei though.

The Demented One
2007-07-12, 11:18 PM
So, is this just a remixed version of the original series, just with sharper graphics and maybe a different ending? Either way, I'll still watch it, as I love me some Eva. Ah, and I didn't catch any glimpse of Asuka in trailer, which was a bit odd, seeing as they had most of the rest of the cast. Was a good deal of Rei though.
I think this is supposed to be the first of a trilogy, which covers the first three angels...so no Asuka.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-12, 11:33 PM
I think this is supposed to be the first of a trilogy, which covers the first three angels...so no Asuka.Four movies - the first three retell the story from the TV series (so you're probably right), the fourth movie present another new ending (this would be NGE Ending #3, I believe).

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-13, 07:45 AM
(this would be NGE Ending #3, I believe)

Supposedly the endings are actually the same, the original was just from a really low budget viewpoint.

Yes, well, a lot more people seem to know about Evangelion than RahXephon, Gasaraki, Argento Soma, or Fafner:smallwink:

Was Argento Soma an Eva clone? That was the one with the robots called fairies that they made out of bits of other robots or something right? It looked like it might actually be original to me, but I only saw episode 1. I though Gasaraki was more military based as well, but I didn't see much of that either.

The Demented One
2007-07-16, 01:39 AM
Here's a slightly better quality clip of the trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pfnqsEEEpo)

Also, this is AWESOME.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-16, 02:33 AM
Was Argento Soma an Eva clone? That was the one with the robots called fairies that they made out of bits of other robots or something right? It looked like it might actually be original to me, but I only saw episode 1.Mysterious hero robot created directly from the enemy aliens. The aliens (or at least the humanoid aliens I saw) looked very much like NGE angels. Central characters routinely engaged in cryptic dialogue that could end up meaninglessly abstract. The overall story focusing heavily on existential themes. Though not really a clone, it was definately part of the NGE-inspired mecha anime trend.
I though Gasaraki was more military based as well, but I didn't see much of that either.Again, not an NGE clone, but a close relative. Although the trappings are considerably more plausible than NGE or Argento Soma (near future, not post-apocalyptic, technologically plausible mecha), the plot eventually includes ancient monsters and powers linked to spiritual transcendence. Add to that the usual cryptic characters and dense mystery, and it ends up seeming a lot more like NGE than you would expect.

Tengu
2007-07-16, 06:00 AM
Supposedly the endings are actually the same, the original was just from a really low budget viewpoint.

I stand by this point. There is nothing contradictory in endings shown in the series and in End of Evangelion - the sieries just shows how a certain part of it looks inside of Shinji's brain.

And the new movie is definitely a must see. From what I know they're also expanding the role of Kaworu.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-16, 10:28 AM
I stand by this point. There is nothing contradictory in endings shown in the series and in End of Evangelion - the sieries just shows how a certain part of it looks inside of Shinji's brain.And I wasn't trying to contradict that point. However, the television ending and the original movie ending were animated differently, narrated differently, told the story differently, and are thus two different endings. The ending that will come with this series will also be different in this way.

It's not an issue of budget, style, or quality of storytelling, it's a matter of the overall story of Evangelion being just too large, too cosmic for any one ending to definitively resolve the story. We can't really grasp the "big picture", so we have to look at it through flashes of different limited viewpoints.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-16, 10:43 AM
We can't really grasp the "big picture", so we have to look at it through flashes of different limited viewpoints.

I'm personally still in the "there is no big picture, its a waste of time created by lack of anti-depresents" camp.

Also, THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-16, 11:04 AM
I'm personally still in the "there is no big picture, its a waste of time created by lack of anti-depresents" camp.If modern anti-depressants had been widely available over the last 1000 years, we'd only have a fraction of the art and literature we have today:smallwink: