PDA

View Full Version : Familiars and CR

j_spencer93
2016-10-13, 03:40 PM
So I use the variants for familiars, the tiny creatures thing (I know its debated alot if it even applies to PCs but whatever, I allow it) and have a slight question about it. Would anyone allow a flameskull using that rule?

Maxilian
2016-10-13, 03:50 PM
It can work as long as you:

-Remove its attacks (Familiars can't attack so not a problem)

-Remove its spell casting (Familiars cannot cast spells, only can use the actions given by the Find Familiar spell, so not a problem)

-Remove its Inmunities

-Remove its Resistance (Leave the Fire resistance, only because its a Flame Skull)

-Remove the Condition inmunities (This would normally be not be relevant for Familiars, but having in mind this Familiar will have almost 3 times more HP than most other familiars, but if you decide to reduce its HP, then you could leave this)

-Remove Rejuvenation (His Familiar is already more likely to survive than any other because of its HP, so remove this, they should at least have a penalty when they lose it -Aka a Spellslot to cast Find Familiar or 10 mins to cast it as a ritual-)

Note: He's still getting a pretty good familiar (More durable) and its intelligent (and can speak), and will have a better arcana knowledge than most party members (I was thinking on removing the Arcana skill too but meh)

Note2: A part of me still think that its HP should be halved

DizzyWood
2016-10-13, 03:50 PM
I mean you would have to scale its powers WAAAAAAAAAY back

j_spencer93
2016-10-13, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the input. I am going to cut the Hp in half, remove attacks, its casting, all but fire resistance, remove rejuvenation and keep the condition immunities.