PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Was the Fihyr Ever Converted?

Palanan
2016-10-13, 06:03 PM
I'd like to use the Fihyr in my current Pathfinder campaign, but I'd hesitate to port it directly from MM2, partly because the CRs in that book were generally wonky.

Was the Fihyr ever updated to Pathfinder? And if not, is there a similar creature that fills the same niche, perhaps with creepier fear abilities?

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-13, 07:13 PM
A quick search turns up that the fihyr was created for D&D and isn't based on a specific concept in human mythology or history. That, and the fact that MM2 isn't part of the open game license (except for the Razor Boar and Scorpionfolk), means a direct analogue is unlikely at best. That said, the bog-standard fihyr would port over fine at its printed CR, and the greater fihyr would be around CR 7 or 8.

For monsters of a generally similar sort you may want to take a look at the Occult Bestiary, due to psychic magic's strong ties to emotions in general.

Palanan
2016-10-14, 04:11 PM
Okay, thanks very much. I'm not great at estimating CRs, but if the fihyr works as printed that's ideal for me.

As for the Occult Bestiary, I don't have much sense of what creatures are included, or whether there would be any appropriate for a low-level campaign. My PCs are still first level, and I'm wary of buying the book and discovering that most of the entries are way out of their league.

the_david
2016-10-14, 04:37 PM
You can us the first table here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary/monsterCreation.html) to guesstimate the CR. It would also show you if there are any abilities that are way overpowered. Conversion shouldn't be that hard unless it uses spells, feats or powers you won't find in Pathfinder.