PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Race built off of the Displacer Beast

EkulNagrom
2016-10-13, 07:02 PM
When I found out about Displacer Beasts, I took a fascination to them. At some point I said, "I should play as one!" My DM said no. So I created this in an attempt to actually play as something close to them. I wanted to find out if it was any good and actually worth using. Please tell me ANYTHING that is wrong and/or completely overpowered. Thank you.

Displacer

Shadowed People: A Displacer does not like to be seen. They wear clothes that blend into the background, with large hoods that cover their face. They mostly come out at night, when there’s less people to run into. If asked a direct question, must would simply run before anyone can get a good look at their face. They will often use their power to project themselves to give a distraction so they get away easily.
Tall and Otherworldly: A Displacer stands taller than all the humans around it, usually with a dark cloak about it. Their skin is a dark blue-black and is usually covered in a light layer of fur. They have four arms, two of which they hide under their cloak as to not draw attention. They have a tail they hide as well, which sometimes doesn’t obey as lashes about. Instead of hair, a Displacer has two long tentacles that come down from the back of its head, and often grown out longer for females. The ends of these tentacles are covered in small barbs, and are useless in everything but getting Displacers caught.

Naturally Wild: Displacers have no qualms about killing. They need to have fun sometimes. Whether it be a cow, someone’s beloved dog or even the person himself, the Displacer will kill for simple reasons, like being seen. They will then usually get rid of the evidence and settle down somewhere where they can enjoy themselves or go hunting again. They delight in nothing more than a simple chase.

Seekers of Shelter: If a Displacer finds a group or place that seems safe enough, it will stick around. In the case of a group, if the members don’t chastise it too much or make eye contact, it will try to help as needed. In the case of a place, if a city or town is large enough for one to simply disappear into the shadows, Displacers will happily move in.

Antisocial: Most Displacers don’t know of each other’s existence. As far as they’re concerned, they’re the only Displacer in the world. As they’re also spread widely apart, they almost never come into contact with another. And most would never want to see another, because that would mean conversation, and conversation is bad.

Names: Displacers don’t usually give themselves names, seeing as how they never go out in public. When a mother Displacer, which are few and far between, has a child she usually just calls it the Child. If a Displacer joins a group, often they will just go by the first thing someone calls them, whether it be “Jimmy” or “Blackie” or “Sneaky” or even “Egad!”

Score Increase: Your Dexterity increases by 2 and your Intelligence increases by 1

Age: Displacers become mature a few years after humans, and continue to live to an average of 400 years. Often they will only see one other of their kind in their lifetime.

Alignment: Displacers are almost never good. What they view as entertainment sees to that. They may follow the laws of the country, but will get rid of them just as quickly.

Size: Displacers are usually a or two foot taller than the average human. They are not fond of this. They’re usual weight is around 150 lbs. Your size is medium.

Speed: Displacers run just as fast as everyone else, if only a little more often. Your base speed is 30.

Displacer History: You know the Minor Illusion cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Disguise Self spell once per day. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the Blur spell once per day. Intelligence is your spell-casting ability for these spells.

Naturally Stealthy: You are proficient in the Stealth skill.

Quadruple Handed: As you have four arms, you are able to do many things at once. You have two primary hands, which can do anything normal hands can. You also have secondary hands, which are far weaker. These hands cannot hold weapons or heavy objects. However, if your primary hands are full, you can still preform all Somatic magic requirements and pick up small items.

Gastronomie
2016-10-14, 11:22 AM
Please tell me ANYTHING that is wrong and/or completely overpowered. Thank you.Umm... everything, I guess?

DEX +2 and STR +1 are fine. Walking speed of 35 and darkvision are fine too. Then comes three powerful abilities that are... no, really, try play-testing it, you'll see it's really damn overpowered. Especially Quadruple-Handed - I mean, two-weapon fighting with Greatswords? Everyone will choose this race over all the others.

Besides, to me the arms of Displacer Beasts look more DEX-ish than STR-ish. I mean, just because a Displacer Beast stood up it wouldn't be able to hold two greatswords. No, just, this is a really overpowered ability that should never be given.

Apart from that, Displacement is the ability of a CR 3 monster. Giving it to adventurers is not a good idea.

I'd make it something like:

DEX +2
Walking speed 35 ft
Gain proficiency with the Stealth skill
Once per short rest, as a reaction, bestow disadvantage on one attack

And that's about balanced I think.

Artagon
2016-10-14, 11:43 AM
Howdy,

In summary, your race is more powerful than PHB races. It grants +# in two of the most sought attack stats, Displacement is too powerful, and Quadruple handed is semi-problematic.

Stats: I'd probably make it +2 dex, +1 int. This separates the bonuses into physical and mental and pushes the idea for my replacement of your Displacement ability.

Displacement: Consider it compared to Blur. This is a spell that costs a 2nd level slot and requires concentration to maintain for up to 1 minute. Not only can your race cast it as a bonus action, it also does not use a spell slot or concentration. Additionally they can do it any number of times per day.. That's far too powerful for a racial ability.

Instead I'd follow the model which Tiefling provides, in granting spells a limited number of times as you grow in level:

Displacer Legacy You know the Minor Illusion cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Disguise Self spell once per day. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the Blur spell once per day. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

It's true that these spells aren't 100% displacer beast abilities, but they do very much fit into a civilized version of a displacer beast. Minor Illusion creates opportunities to hide or deceive quite nicely and Disguise Self gives them the ability to let their hood down and socialize when the need arises.

Quadruple Handed: So here's an ability that when combined with a fighting style and the two-weapon fighting feat allows you to dual wield greatswords or Polearms with full stat bonuses? Yikes! By itself it would be borderline OP. When combined with the other abilities they get it is super over powered.

I would probably change it so that it would let them perform some actions even when their primary hands are filled. For example, they would be able to cast spells even when their primary hands are full, a la the war-caster feat. Basically the second set of arms aren't really powerful enough to swing weapons, but they can certainly do delicate work.

Speed: Totally unnecessary and too much when added to all the other abilities they get.

Darkvision: I'd also drop this. Keep in mind that with what I've presented above you are already getting two full racial abilities that are the equal or even better than most of the racial abilities in the PHB. You need to trim the extra stuff back.

Basically I imagine that the Displacer would be amazing arcane tricksters.. They are naturally stealthy and have magical abilities that bolster that. Having the ability to cast spells or use other dexterous actions (use an item, etc) while their primary hands are full is a HUGE advantage for that playstyle, on top of which they get a small selection of spells that any Arcane Trickster would appreciate. My version is still probably a little too powerful if I'm being honest, but it's a lot closer to something I'd allow.

EkulNagrom
2016-10-14, 05:33 PM
Thank you! This is just what I needed. Sorry about it being WAAAY to powerful. I wanted to stay true to the Displacer Beast, and... well, I did. Which means it's overpowered. I'll definatly take your advise ESPECIALLY with Quadruple-handed. I wanted something useful for it's second set of arms. Now that I think about it... not a good idea. Paladin with Great-sword and two shields...
I'll make it better. Thank you for all the help!