PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Hellbred race into 5th edition.

keeper2161
2016-10-13, 08:48 PM
I thought how to bring the Hellbred into 5th edition. 5th editions races seem to have no negative to attributes. Keeping the two types of Hellbred, body (+2 con) and spirit (+2 cha), having all Hellbred having a +2 to wisdom makes a little sense. Hellbred tend to be pretty wise and very understanding. All Hellbred should also have dark vision because they are devil like maybe giving them the warlock's devil sight. Hellbound, Infernal Mien, and Automatic Languages: Infernal should be kept. Evil Exception should also be kept as it is more of a role-playing ability rather then a mechanical ability.

So a Hellbred should look like this:

+2 wisdom
Devil Sight: grants 60ft dark vision.
Hellbound: A devil lays claim to part of the Hellbred's soul. As a result, a hellbred can be restored to life only by a resurrection spell or greater magic.
Infernal Mien: Hellbred have a sinister presence. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks
Evil Exception: Hellbreds are bred in hell. Evil objects pose no threat to them.
Automatic Languages: Infernal
Infernal Aspect:
Body: A hellbred who chooses body as his infernal aspect gains a +4 bonus on saves against poison. In addition, he gains +2 to Constitution. The process of the Scourging strengthens his body.
Spirit: A hellbred who selects the spirit aspect acquires infernal senses, gaining darvision out to 120ft and is able to see in magical darkness and a +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive checks. In addition, the hellbred gains a +2 bonus to Charisma. The process of the Scourging leaves him with a strong mind.

What does everyone think?

Original race http://faerunian.wikia.com/wiki/Hellbred

Discord
2016-10-13, 10:08 PM
Infernal Mien: You gain proficiency in the intimidation skill.

Body: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance to poison damage. In addition, he gains +2 to Constitution. The process of the Scourging strengthens his body.

Spirit: A hellbred who selects the spirit aspect acquires infernal senses. You gain darkvision out to 120. You also have proficiency in the insight skill. In addition you gain +2 bonus to charisma. The process of the Scourging leaves him with a strong mind.

This is how I would do it, being able to see through magical darkness at first level is pretty powerful, this race would also pair to well with Warlocks freeing up an invocation for the Warlock to take instead of Devils Sight.

Kane0
2016-10-13, 10:34 PM
The body and spirit divide makes for a good pair of 'subraces'.

Devil sight probably shouldn't rip off the warlock invocation, regular darkvision works fine.

The +2 intimidate should probably be proficiency in the skill instead

The Hellbound part I probably wouldn't have as a mechanical thing, though infernal exception is good (unless you don't use magic items in your game. maybe extend it to spells/abilities too?)

Naanomi
2016-10-13, 10:37 PM
Why are they a race with two +2 stats? I'd cut the sub race bonuses down to +1. Also didn't they used to be a +charisma race not a +wisdom one?

Arkhios
2016-10-13, 11:02 PM
I'm not familiar with hellbred but that list of racial traits is already quite strong, therefore (and because it's against usual design) I would decrease either Str/Con or Wis to +1.

Straight pluses to any rolls are all but nonexistent in 5th edition races, but advantage is roughly worth ~ +5 bonus, so the +4 bonuses could be replaced with advantage.

+2 bonuses could be reasonable as racial proficiencies instead, I guess.

DivisibleByZero
2016-10-14, 06:15 AM
What does everyone think?

I think Tiefling is already a thing.

Feuerphoenix
2016-10-14, 06:44 AM
I think Tiefling is already a thing.

Jep, I directly was thinking about tiefling oO

And having darkvision of 120ft without penalties only happens once, with the deep gnome... and this is a very powerful trait. Especially with 4 Stat points. With +2 to wisdom they become an excellent cleric choice (although this feels weired), and with charisma they even become viable for paladins, sorcerers, and especially warlocks oO

Naanomi
2016-10-14, 07:48 AM
The fluff of hellbred was basically to make vengeance paladins, their stats should line up to encourage that choice

keeper2161
2016-10-14, 04:03 PM
Ok so far.

Infernal Mien: You gain proficiency in the intimidation skill.
+1 to Strength. The powers of hell have given you greater Strength then most mortals
Darkvision: 60ft. Your time in hell as given you the gift of the devils sight.
Body: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance to poison damage. In addition, he gains +2 to Constitution. The process of the Scourging strengthens his body.
Spirit: A hellbred who selects the spirit aspect acquires infernal senses. You gain darkvision out to 120. You also have proficiency in the insight skill. In addition you gain +2 bonus to charisma. The process of the Scourging leaves him with a strong mind.
Evil Exception: Hellbreds are bred in hell. There are no negative side effects that deal with alignment for wielding evil items or casting evil spells.

Any other changes?

Feuerphoenix
2016-10-14, 04:20 PM
now it almost reads like a dwarf...just worse... I don't know, there is a lack of this IT thing that makes this race memorable...

keeper2161
2016-10-14, 05:06 PM
I tried to keep as true to the original as possible. I think its not having the devil feats.

Mongobear
2016-10-15, 12:17 AM
Having more than +2/+1 to ability scores isnt too strong of an option as long as they are fixed to a specific stat, or the rest of the racial bonuses arent strong. Just look at Mountain Dwarf and Half-Elf. Alternatively, you could "refluff" the Body/Spirit divide to be more unique with 5e mechanics.

Suggestion of how I would try to do it:

Ability Score Increase - +2 Constitution
Infernal Mien - You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill.
Darkvision: 60ft. Your time in hell as given you the gift of the devils sight.
Size: Medium
Move Speed: 30 Feet

Subraces:

Body
+2 Strength
You have advantage on saving throws against poison.
Your carrying capacity is doubled for a creature of your size.

Spirit
+2 Charisma
You are proficient in the Insight skill.
You know one cantrip from the Cleric spell list. Your casting stat for this spell is Charisma.

keeper2161
2016-10-15, 12:46 AM
I like it. Any other things that should be added?

Mikey P
2016-10-15, 11:12 AM
It is not appropriate for an entire PC race to see through darkness spells. The usual dark vision should suffice.

Naanomi
2016-10-15, 11:27 AM
Mountain Dwarves get +2 to 2 stats because their abilities are not synergistic... anyone who wants STR/CON probably already has or doesn't need Medium Armor (there are a few fringe exceptions... strength rogue maybe); this is a whole lot of 'working well together' abilities, I wouldn't allow it at my table with 2X+2 stats

Feuerphoenix
2016-10-15, 11:55 AM
Mountain Dwarves get +2 to 2 stats because their abilities are not synergistic... anyone who wants STR/CON probably already has or doesn't need Medium Armor (there are a few fringe exceptions... strength rogue maybe); this is a whole lot of 'working well together' abilities, I wouldn't allow it at my table with 2X+2 stats

maybe its just me, but I think duregar are by far the strongest dwarf subrace. They get a strength numb plus spells, plus extra advantages against certain conditions, plus enhanced darkvision. The only disadvantage is their sunlight sensivity. Which to be honest, is not a great thing, except your DM designs his encounters around that. But on an mechanical stand point, this race is on the same (Highpower) level as half elves, at least in my eyes