PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How would you rule Jumping Attacks? (Champion Archetype)

TheUser
2016-10-13, 10:41 PM
So I was re-watching Berserk and realized that the main character (Guts) is the embodiment of the champion archetype. In one of his more legendary encounters he faced off against 100 men; in this fight he would jump over troops and used the downward momentum to crush a foe under the weight of his massive sword swings. Remarkable athlete affects the distance he could jump but not the height.

Maximum height of a jump by a 20 Strength character is 8ft (more than enough to clear over most medium creatures) and coupled with the height of the character + arms + weapon length means that the greatsword itself is coming down from a drop of over 15ft + all the body weight and momentum of the drop.

So I was wondering... if you had a Champion PC jumping over people and swinging a giant two handed weapon down upon them....how would you affect the damage of the roll?

Anyway I really liked this imagery and it actually makes the champion a lot more attractive an option in my eyes but then realized that the damage is entirely open to interpretation on the DM's part.

Specter
2016-10-13, 10:45 PM
It could give them a +2 dmg, but the book says you need Athletics to do 'a stunt in mid-air'. So I'd ask for a check.

Erys
2016-10-13, 10:48 PM
A semi difficult athletics check (like 15 or 20 depending on what you are leaping over); add d6 damage.

Reasoning, a fall from 10' is d6 damage. Eight feet is close enough. :smallwink:

TheUser
2016-10-13, 10:50 PM
A semi difficult athletics check (like 15 or 20 depending on what you are leaping over); add d6 damage.

Reasoning, a fall from 10' is d6 damage. Eight feet is close enough. :smallwink:

Seems reasonable. The having 10ft of movement necessary to jump up isn't going to happen for every attack so it somewhat balances out.

Kane0
2016-10-13, 10:58 PM
Well if you round it to the nearest 5' you could apply fall damage as a bonus to the attack. Nothing gamebreaking, might even prompt people to use the jump spell every once in a while.

longshotist
2016-10-13, 11:09 PM
Personally, I wouldn't have this sort of thing affect the damage. My players and i like to describe the action, which includes actions such as this. I guess, we sort of assume fantastically strong, athletic warriors are doing these sorts of things anyway in lieu of standing and swinging their sword arms. The PCs are the heroes with stats, abilities and powers beyond normal human stuff - their 18s and 20s strength is affecting the damage and action already.

TheUser
2016-10-13, 11:22 PM
Well if you round it to the nearest 5' you could apply fall damage as a bonus to the attack. Nothing gamebreaking, might even prompt people to use the jump spell every once in a while.

I actually had a flying suplex build for my twin spell sorcerer;
cast jump on our strength tank pre fight and then twin spell enlarge/reduce: enemy gets smaller the strength ally gets bigger. Flying suplex for loads of damage.

SillyPopeNachos
2016-10-14, 05:57 AM
I'd say +1 damage. Not a massive boost, but a reward to a player if they want to add a unique combat style to their character.

Tanarii
2016-10-14, 06:43 AM
I probably wouldn't give extra damage, or if I did I'd make it clear it was a one time thing, not something where Athletics check = extra damage, every single round. But certainly it should allow him to clear the rank of mooks he couldn't otherwise get past, to sword smash the caster behind. With an Athletics check if they're fairly tall, Ogres or something, where he needs a bit more height.

(Ogres are 10 ft tall, right? For some reason that's how tall I think they are.)

Coffee_Dragon
2016-10-14, 08:07 AM
I probably wouldn't give extra damage, or if I did I'd make it clear it was a one time thing, not something where Athletics check = extra damage, every single round.

This for me too. If someone wants to do some special stunt that fits the situation at hand, that's fine and can give a bonus. If they want it as a regular gimmick, then that's simply what the rules already reflect. You don't get a consistent bonus because you flavour your attacks as hitting harder or better or more often.

Joe the Rat
2016-10-14, 08:26 AM
Seems like a good descriptor for the damage boost on the Great Weapon Master or (shudder) Charger Feats.

CNagy
2016-10-14, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't let it affect the damage, but what I would do is let such a character who has a 6' or more vertical leap to effectively move through another medium-sized creature's space (or multiple such creatures if they have enough horizontal distance) when they wouldn't otherwise be allowed to.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-10-14, 08:32 AM
Seems like a good descriptor for the damage boost on the Great Weapon Master or (shudder) Charger Feats.

I was thinking exactly that about GWM. It's harder to hit because you telegraph your attacks like a crazy person, but when you do hit, you have a little more momentum which translates into lots and lots of abstract HP shavings.

Satsujinki
2016-10-14, 09:51 AM
Looking at thia, weird ideas came out. What if you're a thief archetype, With levels in barbarian, and you're a goliath.... Grapple, dash and climb with your Speed, then Jump... The ultimate scoop slam, aint it?

Foxydono
2016-10-14, 10:10 AM
If the situation calls for it you could award an inspiration die to the player attempting such an attack. For example, if you jump over some minions to attack the boss who is sitting on a horse and you want to chop the head from the horse off. A very berserk like thing to do!

If all goes well the boss even needs to make a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone :)

mgshamster
2016-10-14, 10:28 AM
Give them an athletics check. If they succeed, advantage on the attack. If they fail, disadvantage in the attack.

DC is dependent on the size and number of creatures they're up against, plus any other modifiers you deem necessary.