PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Hunter x Hunter RPG (Nen Aura System)

Mido
2016-10-14, 07:46 AM
Intro

Bare in mind, this is still a bare bones system. It can be used tentatively and is derivative to Pathfinder and the Marvel RPG FASERIP system. Still, I think this would be a good spin for fans of the anime and for a less restrictive class/ability system.

So far, it is still incomplete to just pick up and play. I'm still tweaking and putting into paper the entire system so that it can be played readilly, but for now I wanted to just have most of the broad strokes I already have down posted so that I can get some opinions/critiques on the current iteration.

P.S. Will post draft of character sheet a bit later. Don't have it in a more compliant format yet. Also, the image doesn't seem to be loading well. May just edit later on and fix it up. :smallsigh:

Hunter x Hunter RPG - Nen Aura System (d20)

This is an attempt to quantify the premise of Nen, the Mind Force, that permeates the fantastic abilities of Hunters, elite agents with varied occupations ranging from chefs to enforcers, explorer's to assassins, heroes and villains.

As indicated in the title, this uses the d20 system (Call of Cthulhu) for the character level progression and feats (although skills are more attuned with PF), but with some aesthitical tweaks with a hint of FASERIP (for the Nen abilities) thrown in. The main ability scores are as follows: Might (strength), Agility (dexterity), Hardiness (constitution), Intellect (Intelligence), Cunning (Wisdom), Allure(charisma) (see what I mean about aesthetical?). Each attribute is directly tied to a Nen type hence it's recommended to start off the adventure with the players already aware and capable of wielding Nen, although it is still optional to do otherwise.

How to choose your Nen type

The anime has alluded that one's Nen type is normally based on one's own personality. Choosing to specialize on your natural Nen type gives way to powerful abilities. Choosing to garner abilities from types away from your Affinity is possible but comes at a cost like lesser efficiency, which will be discussed in further detail later on.

*There is still no one way to determine what is the best way to have players determine their Nen type. There are some quizzes online that may make this interesting. As a baseline, one default way is to just let the dice decide:

Roll d100
1-19 = Enchancement
20-38 = Transmutation
39-57 = Emission
58-76 = Conjuration
77-95 = Manipulation
96-100 = Specialiazation

Nen Types:

1.) Enhancement (Might) - The most straightforward type, it has the best balance of both offense and defense. (ex. Gon)
2.) Emission (Agility) - Allows one to extend their Nen to great distances. Often users of this type prefer long range combat. (ex: Leorio, Knuckle)
3.) Transmutation (Hardiness) - Allows one's Nen to take on the properties of a certain object (imaginations the limit). (ex: Hisoka, Killua)
4.) Conjuration (Intellect) - Allows the user to summon an object. It is the only type that is able to materialize objects that normal people can interact with. (ex: Kurapika)
5.) Manipulation (Cunning) - Allows the manipulation of others through Nen, albeit a person or an object/substance. (ex: Illumi)
6.) Specialization (Allure) - Any other effect that does not fall under the above mentioned categories. (ex: Chrollo Lucifer, Kurapika [Red Eyes])

Side Note:
Once you have chosen or have generated your type of Nen, it is important to make note of Affinity. It is most efficient to specialize in the Nen Affinity your character has chosen but for versatility's sake, it is possible to branch out to other types or rather even integrate properties of the other Nen types with your own. Integration will be discussed later on but for branching out to other types, there is a simple guide to keep in mind in terms of efficacy: 100% - 80% - 60% - 40%

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w73/mitomidou/Nen%20Type%20Chart_zpsizofvwsv.png

Affinity
Primary Type: 100%
Secondary Types (Next 2 on diagram): 80%
Tertiary Types (Next 2 on diagram): 60%
Opposite Type: 40%

Example: If your Affinity is with Enhancement, you would be able to use Enhancer abilities at 100% efficacy, Emission and Transmutation abilities at 80%, Manipulation and Conjuration at 60% and Specialization at 40%. (Exception: to simplify, Specialization was included in the example but technically, one has a miniscule chance of gaining Specialization abilities unless you start out as a specialization)

4 Basic Tenets of Nen

Although there are far more compelling uses of Nen, the basics can still be useful in a pinch.

1. Ten - Release and contain Nen around the body
2. Zetsu - Shut off the flow of Nen.
3. Ren - Bolster the release of Nen.
4. Hatsu - Manifest the individual's unique emanation of Nen.

Water Divination

Admittedly, this part is only to provide flavor if you decide to start out the adventure with your players not knowing about their Nen types. One determines their types by doing the Water Divination test. This test requires a glass filled to the brim with water and a leaf floating atop the water. The Nen user is then instructed to emit their aura thru using Ten towards the construct to see what reactions occur. Results are as follows:

1. Enhancement - Volume of water increases.
2. Transmutation - Taste of the water changes.
3. Emission - Color of water changes.
4. Conjuration - An object/substance appears in the water.
5. Manipulation - The leaf starts moving.
6. Specialization - Any other effect other than the above mentioned (GM's choice).

New Skills

Gyo (Cunning) - skill to see/detect Nen
In (Intellect) - skill to conceal Nen
En (Hardiness) - extend to detect life forms

New Feats (details to follow)

Shu - Imbue benefits of Nen to Objects (Usually to bolster hardiness or sharpness)
Ko - Concentrate Nen to bolster attack (+DMG, Enhancers have bonus, cannot be used if Ken is activated)
Ryu - Advanced form of Ko, affects both attack and defense simultaneously (able to use Ko and Ken at same time)
Ken - Concentrate Nen on Defense (DR, Enhancers have bonus, cannot be used if Ko is activated)
Sakki - Nen enhanced intimidation (Frightful Presence)

Nen Points (NP)

Putting together a new system is all well and good, but we have not covered quantifying such fantastic abilities into something we can put into paper. Luckilly, this is where we cover how much Nen Points (NP) the character possesses and it is determined by a simple computation: NP = Nen Attribute/2 x Affinity [compute for each attribute/ability score].

Let's try to compute using our example from a couple of pages ago:

Enhancer (Primary Ability: Might)
Might: 18/2 x 100% = 9
Agility: 16/2 x 80% = 6 (from 6.4)
Hardiness: 17/2 x 80% = 7 (from 6.8)
Intellect: 12/2 x 60% = 4 (from 3.6)
Cunning: 15/2 x 60% = 5 (from 4.5)
Allure: 10/2 x 40% = 2
Total NP: 33

Side Note: Results are always rounded off (0.5 always rounded up).

Uses of NP

The number of NP needed to manifest abilities as a Nen user varies for the type of effect or ability you wish to manifest.

Enhancement: Raises combat capability (more on this in a bit)
Transmutation: Manifests transmuted aura
Emission: Enhances distance of emitted aura
Conjuration: Conjures Item/weapon
Manipulation: Allows control of objects/other people.
Specialization: Allows use of special ability

Primary = 1 NP
Secodary = 2 NP
Tertiary = 3 NP
Opposite = 4 NP

For our overarching example of the enhancer, for them enhancement abilities or effects would cost only 1 NP to use while, if for some miracle, they wish to summon a specialization ability, it would cost them 4 NP.

General Uses of Nen

1 NP = Raise any Physical Ability Score by 1 (cumulative)
[Note: Enhancers get +2]
Duration: 10 Rounds
1 NP = Raise Speed by 15 feet (cumulative up to 60 feet)
[Note: Enhancers get +20 and up to 80 feet]
Duration: 10 Rounds
1 NP = Raise Physical Skill by 10
[Note: Enhancers get +15]
Duration: 10 rounds
1 NP = Raise Defense +5
[Note: Enhancers get +8]
Duration: 10 rounds

Affinity Growth

Every time you gain a character level, other than the regular perks of gaining a level, you also gain a Nen level that you assign to a type of your choosing. The maximum level for each type depends on the PC's Affinity to the type:
* Primary = Level 10, Secondaries = Level 8, Tertiaries = Level 6, Opposite = Level 4

Hatsu (Nen Abilities)

Finally, we get to the fun part of the system, coming up with your own unique Hatsu/Nen Ability. These are the specific attacks/abilities that are made to being from the use of Hatsu. These are usually trained to be able to use the attack/ability with regularity. Examples of these would be Hisoka's Bungee Gum, Killua's Godspeed or even just Gon's Jakenpon Rock! attack.

Specs:
- The first Hatsu the PC gains once they unlock their Nen is always successful. It takes great care between GM and player to make a balanced ability within the bounds of the Nen type's description. In this case the GM has final say if an ability is something that can be used in the campaign.

- Hatsu's are gained every 4 levels. One is able to manifest more abilities for every one of these 4 levels but these abilities are gained in the form of a d20 roll. Don't worry though, even if you fail, you get a retry for any of your Hatsu's you have attempted previously for every level. DC check for gaining a new Hatsu is as follows:
*DC 20 = d20 + Affinity Level + NA modifier (attribute of nen type)

- When attempting to learn a new Hatsu, a certain level in the type of Nen is required. If the Hatsu does not correspend with the PC's Affinity, there is a chance for error and to lose progress in gaining the new ability. Mainly, even if the PC is successful in their DC check to gain the new ability, they must still roll a d100 to see if they are thoroughly successful. This also applies if the PC is just integrating a Nen type's properties on a different Hatsu. If they roll lower than the Nen type's Affinity percentage, they are unsuccessful in learning the new ability. One thing to make note of though is that the next attempt they do make to acquire the new ability again the next time they level up, they only need to roll the d100 and not the DC check.

- Normally, one use of an ability is equivalent to 1 NP. If the Hatsu is based on a type/types other than the PC's primary, Affinity rules for NP usage apply.

- Hatsu's from types other than the Primary is possible but with some drawbacks, normally, the Affinity kicking in, wherein only a certain percentage of the efficacy of the ability is displayed.

- It is possible to integrate aspects of Nen types into one Hatsu. A good example would be extending the reach of an attack with the Emission aspect even if your type is Enhancement. The PC's first Hatsu is always solitary and of the user's Nen type. Incorporating a different type of Nen on a single Hatsu changes the computation a bit. A +5 to the DC check is added to the difficulty class for each additional Nen type added but the PC will also add their Affinity level and ability modifier that corresponds to the Nen type to be integrated.

- Normally, Hatsu's dissipate after combat or when dismissed by the user. Sometimes it's when the user is defeated. Some are able to set duration during the conceptualization of the Hatsu.

Conditions (further details to be added)

Conditions are rules placed on Hatsu's to enhance their effects. Examples of such enhancements would be more damage, greater range, additional targets. Conjuration and Manipulation types usually take such conditions in order to further bolster their Hatsu's. Conjuration types for example put oaths onto the object they summon increase it's capabilities while Manipulation types put limitations on their control over creatures if they are able to attach an object on a specific part of their body.

Limitations - These are detriments placed on Hatsu's to greatly enhance their effect. Think conditions bonus multiplied by 2 as a rule of thumb.

Oaths - This is a vow, typically to the oath-taker's disadvantage, that immensely increases the effect of the ability. Think conditions bonus multiplied by 4 as a rule of thumb.

Traits/Hobbies/Favorite Items/Bauble Affinities

Again, this can be considered as just fluff, but can be interesting. This is a bit of flavor text that can be used as a basis for the manifestation of the PC's Hatsu. As an optional rule, if the player is unable to justify the basis of their Nen/Hatsu as a part of either a character's trait, hobby, or favorite item, the Hatsu's power is quartered.

Hatsu Stunts

Due to the myriad nature of Nen, it is easy enough to extrapolate additional functions for them. Such things are referred to as Stunts. The stunt check is as follows:
*DC 20 = d20 + Affinity Level + Nen Attribute

Five successful checks are needed to remove the stunt check and make the stunt a regular Nen ability wherein you only have to spend NP's to use them. 1 check per week is possible although if the PC is forced to try the ability in an appropriate environment (in combat if the Hatsu is a type of attack or defense for example), a check can be warranted but only once in such an instance. This additional chance for a stunt check does not negate the check they are able to do in the current week.

Azmodieus
2017-08-25, 03:54 PM
I know that this seems like a dead post, but I have a working concept for a homebrew system based on this anime, wondered if you had some ideas, after its finish I'm willing to let you look at it to see what you might think.

Mido
2017-09-04, 05:48 AM
To be honest, I put this here to get a bit of feedback. Since then I've found a system that may be more conducive to the Nen ability and that's Fate Core. Still I have given it another run through and I think I can still fine tune this. If you've got any feedback or comments by all means.

ilkerpipi
2017-12-10, 04:57 PM
I'm trying to build one right now, but my main focus was on a system called Anima. Yours seem interesting as well. If there's a finer tuned version, or if you'd like to continue, I am very interested.

Deakins2658
2017-12-11, 03:55 AM
im playing game i think it that good

Toastyonekenobi
2019-01-15, 04:08 AM
I know that this seems like a dead post, but I have a working concept for a homebrew system based on this anime, wondered if you had some ideas, after its finish I'm willing to let you look at it to see what you might think.

I really like the idea of a hunter x hunter D20, I thought of making it work with mutants and masterminds, it would support super human ability and has a flexible power system.

Zhon
2024-02-15, 01:17 AM
I have started making system myself. I have used a bit of your ideas but I have changed a lot. I have it all organized in a discord server but I cannot post link as I'm a new user here. If anyone is interested pm me and I'll invite you.
zhoncinema#5155