PDA

View Full Version : Playing Mount and Blade: Warband

Jeivar
2016-10-14, 09:36 AM
I logged twenty hours in this game a couple of years ago. I built up a decent little force, a bunch of NPC's and made a name for myself in the arena, but eventually quit due to a lack of immersion. But I like the gameplay itself, and I'm feeling an itch to give this game a second chance. Was I maybe doing something wrong, or approaching the game with the wrong mindset or something?

I never did the sieges or anything large scale like that (never worked out HOW), and none of the nobles you encounter have any real personality. I know this is a game about creating your own story, but to me that requires a setting with a bit of depth to it. How do people maintain their interest in this game for any length?

Also, I've heard that the viking expansion has a bit more of a story to it. Is that true?

Toastkart
2016-10-14, 07:51 PM
It kind of depends on what you want to do. There's depth there, if you look for it. You can do missions for guild leaders in towns, elders in villages and things like that. Join a faction as a mercenary or a vassal and do missions for your king and the other nobles. Play the political game and gain influence and prestige, participate in wars. Start your own faction and do all those things.

Sieges aren't very different from combat in open fields other than you have to deal with the fortifications and the meat grinder that happens when passageways become blocked or narrow. You could, in theory, never lay siege to a castle or town, but I wouldn't expect to expand very far if you don't. I also wouldn't rely on any ai allies to take castles. They often break off before they finish the job and if they do happen to take a castle, they often don't leave troops behind to garrison it and it gets retaken rather quickly.

I know many people swear by the Swadians and the Mamluks, but I personally enjoy using the Vaegir. They've got their weaknesses, of course, but they suit me very well. Do a little research into the factions' troop types to see which fits your playstyle best, but don't be afraid to mix things up and try other strategies.

The Hellbug
2016-10-18, 02:58 PM
It's kind of a game where you have to make your own story--I know the feeling you're talking about, and, for a person like me, it really helps to set a goal of some sort in the sandbox and then just reevaluate or be done once I reach it. That said, sometimes stupid little things happen in this kind of game. When I played it, I had an ongoing rivalry with Jarl/Emir/Count Olaf, who switched factions to always be my enemy for most of the game.

nooblade
2016-10-20, 10:24 AM
Maybe I should look into the Viking Conquest stuff. I haven't played this in over a year.

Probably your first goal would be to gain character levels and renown and wealth and some nice weapons. Usually the way I do this is completely immersion breaking unfortunately, but I want to get it done to get to the rest of the game which I think is more fun and interesting. Having troops in the early game will slow down your renown gain. It's faster just to have a horse and a club or a crossbow and fight three dozen looters at once and hit them in the head one by one. With the club you can sell some prisoners too. Then loot sea raiders and maybe destroy some bandit camps and then start playing the game. I guess you could talk to lords or do errands for them or something before taking a liege but there are faster ways to gain friendship.

Maybe you could try the trader merchant start? I've never done it but I hear you can make lots of money. I don't know how they gain levels or renown or skip to the part of the game where that really matters. Maybe they just pick up some guild quests along the way or something?

Triaxx
2016-10-20, 01:53 PM
I've seen a lot of people playing the Game of Thrones mod for it if that's your cup of tea. New places to go, new people to kill, and unique new quests.