PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self optimization through the Mountebank prestige class

Soranar
2016-10-14, 01:15 PM
So I'm considering playing a mountebank due to the incredible ability Alter Ego which lets you take a handful of alter self forms at will.

(1 form with 3 HD max at level 3 then another with 5 HD at level 6 then another at level 9)

Since I maximize my BAB and my Sneak Attack progression by taking 8 levels, I don't intend to complete the class to get another alter ego and the sudden escape ability but I'm willing to think about it if someone gives me a good reason to do so.

I also intend to take at least 3 levels of rogue to get the ability to sneak attack almost anything but just about anything can qualify me for mountebank since I just need 8 ranks in bluff.

So my progression so far is this

Level 1 Rogue
Level 2 Rogue
Level 3 Rogue
Level 4 open
Level 5 open
Level 6 Mountebank
Level 7 Mountebank
Level 8 Mountebank
Level 9 Mountebank
Level 10 Mountebank
Level 11 Mountebank
Level 12 Mountebank
Level 13 Mountebank
Level 14 open
Level 15 open
Level 16 open
Level 17 open
Level 18 open
Level 19 open
Level 20 open

Now my first thought is that a gibbering mouther is an awesome fighting form but it requires me to be an aberration so I would need to play an Elan, a Synad or a Daelkyr Half-Blood. It does give me 6 bite attacks +1 ranged touch attack (acid spittle) it also has a swim speed

Another great fighting form would be a Grell (10 tentacles attacks with 10ft range + a bite) and it gives me a fly speed but since I don't get blind sense from it and it has no eyes I'm not sure if it is actually usable

Since both those forms require 5 HD I can only pick 1,

The other utility form would be a Grick (4 tentacles + 1 bite, a climb speed and track) or a skum (a strong bite , 2 rakes and 2 claws + a bunch of underwater abilities)

Now I've been scouring the race books for interesting races and I found the Jermlaine (which has insane STAT adjustments) that can give me access to a Spriggan combat/scouting form (small so a size increase in this case and + 3d6 sneak attack... !) but in that case I'm probably better off playing a ranged character (spriggan also get +4 racial bonus to nearly every rogue skill).

My utility form with the Jermlaine would be a pixie (for a fly speed)

So, on side A we have an aberration that turns into a tentacle monster that flies and has 11 attacks per round or into a starfish alien that literally eats people with 6 bites, a ranged touch attack and a swallow whole ability
Or , on side B we have a tiny fey that turns into a slightly larger fey that gets 3d6 more sneak attack per attack

Role-play wise side B is definitely easier to work with (I'm a humanoid character that shoots people)
than Side A I'm the stuff nightmares are made of (and I'm best friends with a paladin!)

So thoughts, suggestions?

Darrin
2016-10-14, 02:55 PM
Iron Chef LV: Mountebank (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?336373-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-LV) is probably worth a look.

The Viscount
2016-10-14, 09:57 PM
What do you mean when you say that 3 levels of rogue gives you the ability to "sneak attack almost anything"?

As for the build, It depends somewhat on what you're trying to do. If you're focusing on being strong in combat, then I'd go the aberration route. Of the *** races, elan is the worst, and daelkyr half bloods likely the best for this. Ask your dm whether you can keep symbionts once you alter self, since they're separate beings.
For forms, more attacks is the best route since you're a sneak attacker. You are correct in that because alter self won't give you blindsight when you alter self to a grell, you will be sightless and thus unable to make sneak attacks.

Efrate
2016-10-14, 10:33 PM
Trade trapsense for penetrating strike. 1/2 sneak to everything even if immune. And it gets rids of useless trapsense.

Do you have room for swashbuckler for daring outlaw anywhere? For levels 4 and 5 perhaps. That qualifies you for it, and any swashbuckler you take gets you better HD, full BAB, and advances sneak attack. Plus free weapon finesse. Its not earthshattering but solid. With extra sneak, grace if you have decent int, and craven at some point will be a nice chunk of extra damage on your multitude of attacks.

Also, how do soulmelds work with alter self? Some totemist maybe? Even more attacks?

animewatcha
2016-10-15, 02:28 AM
Doesn't it only let you assume the appearance of the other forms, not also take on the 'benefits' of said forms?

Inevitability
2016-10-15, 02:42 AM
What do you mean when you say that 3 levels of rogue gives you the ability to "sneak attack almost anything"?

He's trading out Trap Sense for Penetrating Strike, I presume.

Efrate
2016-10-15, 05:03 AM
Doesn't it only let you assume the appearance of the other forms, not also take on the 'benefits' of said forms?

You are thinking of disguise self methinks.

Link about alter self

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=343.0

animewatcha
2016-10-16, 04:58 AM
Alter Ego (Sp): Starting at 3rd level, you establish an alternate identity. This alter ego has its own distinct physical characteristics, quirks, preferred clothing, and so on. At will, you can switch your form between that of your normal identity and that of your alter ego. This ability works like the alter self spell, except that you can assume only the appearance of your alternate identity. Your caster level for this ability is equal to your mountebank class level.

Bolded part of ability.

Soranar
2016-10-16, 06:36 AM
I never noticed that. Ah well I guess I'm back to the drawing board for that build

The Viscount
2016-10-16, 01:53 PM
This bolded section was the subject of some debate in the Iron Chef thread. Some might interpret this as saying "when you use it to take form of an alter ego you get cosmetic features but not abilities." An alternative interpretation is "when you use this alter self you are limited to assuming the forms of your alter egos, but you still gain their abilities." In the contest we decidied to go with the second. I wouldn't say it's clear either way, so check with your DM.