PDA

View Full Version : Mage's Magnificent Mansion Madness

Chestofponders
2016-10-14, 07:41 PM
Good afternoon!

I am new to the forums and tried searching online for assistance in this, so I apologize if this is rethreaded. But this is a Pathfinder related question.

So one of my players can now cast mage's magnificent mansion. This has pretty much turned into him casting, hiding, and then shooting out. Is this even possible? If so, can the outside see in well enough to shoot back? How would you handle this?

TheCountAlucard
2016-10-14, 09:11 PM
MMM is, unfortunately, a very good bolthole. The door is invisible when you close it, and even when you open it, enemies can't enter unless you permit it. However, once it's cast, the door is the only way you're getting in or out, so smart enemies could set up a trap or ambush for when you come out, hiding out of sight of the door.

legomaster00156
2016-10-15, 11:59 AM
The entire point of this (level 7, so not exactly Rope Trick here) spell is to provide refuge. That said, the door can be seen by creatures who can bypass invisibility, and it can be dispelled (thus forcing all inhabitants out).

Inevitability
2016-10-15, 12:04 PM
The mansion is stationary once created, so the player is basically using an action each combat to direct attacks that would've hit him towards his teammates. If he wants to spend his 7th-level spell slots on that, let him.

If it really bothers you, you can dispel the mansion or have monsters ready actions.

Jack_Simth
2016-10-15, 02:46 PM
First off, the spell in question (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/spells/mageSMagnificentMansion.html).

Secondly, it has a nice little line at the end, which is the closest it gets to saying whether or not spells can pass through the door:

Since the place can be entered only through its special portal, outside conditions do not affect the mansion, nor do conditions inside it pass to the plane beyond.

It's easy enough to rule that no, you can't cast through the door, open or not.

Anthrowhale
2016-10-15, 02:57 PM
Transdimensional spell is +1 metamagic which turns MMM into a trap.

Tvtyrant
2016-10-15, 04:27 PM
Transdimensional spell is +1 metamagic which turns MMM into a trap.

Or an artillery platform. How many opponents are going to take that feat? Never in the whole time I have been playing.

Anthrowhale
2016-10-15, 04:42 PM
How many opponents are going to take that feat?

If the opponents are intelligent, then quite a few as Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) is cheap compared to death.

Pyromancer999
2016-10-15, 04:58 PM
If the opponents are intelligent, then quite a few as Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) is cheap compared to death.

True, but that doesn't work in Pathfinder, given it doesn't exist in that. Transdimensional spell would not either, unless there is an equivalent in PF under another name. Unless the game is 3.P.

Telok
2016-10-15, 05:48 PM
Drop an anti-magic field on the exit point and kill everyone else while the wiz either waits for the field to go away or Plane Shifts and Teleports back to the fight.

bookkeeping guy
2016-10-15, 06:18 PM
Well the traditional stance is to build a giant wooden horse out front and hide in it with peace offerings surrounding it and a fake surrender offer. Then his maid brings it into the garage to please her master, putting it next to the ...BMW Peasant cart 2.0 with anti-lock mule yokes. ( He must have a custodian right? And who wouldn't have a maid in a miniskirt in the mansion? If he's any kind of mage worth his salt if there's no hot maid in a miniskirt you should fire him from adventuring. )

I've heard it works rather well.

Psyren
2016-10-15, 07:28 PM
MMM is on another plane. Furthermore, the spell only mentions that "observers" can pass through the entrance - it says nothing about spell effects. So the default rule applies - you don't have line of effect to another plane and therefore casting from inside is not protection.

I would allow casting/shooting from inside a Tiny Hut, but the monsters can come in after you anyway (if they figure out which square you're in.)

elonin
2016-10-16, 01:04 PM
The spell clearly states that spell effects don't pass through the barrier. I'd rule that spells don't pass in either direction.