PDA

View Full Version : Orzel's Ranger (class)

Orzel
2007-07-11, 05:32 AM
Here's the ranger I use. Charts come when I'm no longer tired:

Ranger

Alignment

Any.
Hit Die

d8.
Class Skills

The ranger’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level

(6 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level

6 + Int modifier.
Base Attack Bonus

Full like fighter
Saves

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Favored Enemy, Track, Wild Empathy

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Combat Style

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Natural Lore

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Improved Combat Style

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Wilderness Stride

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Swift Tracker

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|Evasion

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Improved Natural Lore

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Combat Style Mastery

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|Prey or Predator

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Improved Prey or Predator

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6| [/table]

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the ranger.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

Favored Enemy (Ex)
At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature, a type of environment, a material, or a type of combatant. If the ranger chooses a creature, he gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

If a ranger chooses an combatant, he gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures, regardless of their creature type or subtype.

If a ranger chooses an material, he gains a +2 bonus on Balance, Climb, Disable Device, Escape Artist, and Search checks when using these skills while dealing with objects of made of this material. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls and Strength checks to damage or break them.

If the ranger chooses an environment, he gains a +2 bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills in that environment. He also gains the same bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks made in association with that environment (or on Knowledge (dungeoneering) or Knowledge (local) checks made in association with underground or urban environments respectively, if the ranger has selected underground or urban as a favored environment). Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex saves while in this environment.

If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature falls into more than one category of favored creature or combatant, the ranger’s bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher.

If the ranger chooses desert, forest, or urban; he must also choose a climate type, as indicated on the table (either "cold" or "temperate or warm" for desert, "cold or temperate" or "warm" for forest, or "indoor" or "outdoors" for urban).

A ranger must choose how much attention he places on his favored creature, environments, materials,and combatants: focused, spread, or customized. This choice affects the ranger's favored creature, environment, material, or organization class feature but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way

If the ranger chooses Focused, each level the bonus against his favored creature, material, or combatant; or gained while in his favored environment increases by 3.

If the ranger chooses Spread, each level the ranger may select 2 additional favored creatures, combatant, material, or environments from those available to him.

If the ranger chooses Customized, at each even level the ranger may select an additional favored creature, combatant, or environment from those available to him. In addition, at each odd level, the bonus against any one favored creature, combatant, material, or environment increases by 2.

Available Ranger Favored Creatures:
{table] Aberration|Humanoid (reptilian)
Animal| Magical beast
Construct| Monstrous Humanoid
Dragon| Ooze
Elemental| Outsider (air)
Fey| Outsider (chaotic)
Giant| Outsider (earth)
Humanoid (aquatic)| Outsider (evil)
Humanoid (dwarf)| Outsider (fire)
Humanoid (elf)| Outsider (good)
Humanoid (goblinoid)| Outsider (lawful)
Humanoid (gnoll)| Outsider (native)
Humanoid (gnome)| Outsider (water)
Humanoid (halfling)| Plant
Humanoid (human)| Undead
Humanoid (orc)| Vermin [/table]

Available Ranger Favored combatants:
{table] Arcanist (has arcane spells or spell like abilities)
Brutes (has Toughness or Power Attack feats)
Divine (has divine spells or spell like abilities)
Psionics (has power points)
Skirmishers (has speed of 50ft or more)
Sneaks (has sneak attack die)
Soldiers (has Weapon Focus or Combat Expertise feats).
[/table]

Available Ranger Favored Material:
{table] Bone|Earth
Force|Gems
Glass|Hide
Ice|Metal
Stone|Wood
[/table]

Available Favored Environments:
{table]Arctic| Desert (cold)
Desert (warm)| Forest (cold)
Forest (warm)| Hills
Marsh| Mountains
Seas| Underground
Urban (indoors)|Urban (outdoors)[/table]

Track

A ranger gains Track as a bonus feat.

Wild Empathy (Ex)

A ranger can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check to improve the attitude of a person. The ranger rolls 1d20 and adds his ranger level and his Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.

To use wild empathy, the ranger and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal visibility conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute, but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.

The ranger can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but he takes a -4 penalty on the check.

Combat Style (Ex)

At 2nd level, a ranger must select one of three combat styles to pursue: archery, two-weapon combat, or unarmed combat. This choice affects the character’s class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way.

If the ranger selects archery, he is treated as having the Rapid Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selects two-weapon combat, he is treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If If the ranger selects unarmed combat, he is treated as having the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

The benefits of the ranger’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Endurance

A ranger gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 3rd level.

Natural Lore
At the 4th level, the ranger select two of five possible class features:

Animal Companion (Ex)

A ranger gains an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures may be added to the ranger’s list of options: manta ray, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the ranger on his adventures as appropriate for its kind.

This ability functions like the druid ability of the same name, except that the ranger’s effective druid level is one-half his ranger level. A ranger may select from the alternative lists of animal companions just as a druid can, though again his effective druid level is half his ranger level. Like a druid, a ranger cannot select an alternative animal if the choice would reduce his effective druid level below 1st.

Spells

A ranger gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells, which are drawn from the ranger spell list. A ranger must choose and prepare his spells in advance (see below).

To prepare or cast a spell, a ranger must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a ranger’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the ranger’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a ranger can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Ranger. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score. When Table: The Ranger indicates that the ranger gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Wisdom score for that spell level. The ranger does not have access to any domain spells or granted powers, as a cleric does.

A ranger prepares and casts spells the way a cleric does, though he cannot lose a prepared spell to cast a cure spell in its place. A ranger may prepare and cast any spell on the ranger spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation.

Through 3rd level, a ranger has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, his caster level is one-half his ranger level. A ranger who does not choose spell as his natural lore feature is still considers as having the ranger spell list.

Sneak Attack (Ex)

The ranger gains the sneak attack ability is like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage increases by +1d6 every fourth level beyond 4th (8th, 12th, 16th, 20th). If a ranger gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack. The ranger only receives his bonus sneak attack damage when fighting favored enemies and combatants or when fighting in one of his favored environments.

Smite Enemy (Su)
Once a day, a ranger may attempt to smite an enemy with one normal melee attack. The enemy must have the same type as one of his favored enemies or combatants, must be located in a favored environment, or a object made of favored material.

He adds his Wisdom modifier (if positive) to his attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per 2 class levels. If a ranger accidentally smites a creature that is not a favored enemy or in a favored environment, the smite has no effect but it is still used up for that day.

At the 9th, and every 5 levels thereafter (14th and 19th), a ranger may smite enemy one additional time per day.

Wild shape (Su)
Once a day per 4 ranger levels, a ranger gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again as the druid ability. The effect lasts for 1 hour per two ranger levels, or until he changes back.

Improved Combat Style (Ex)

At 6th level, a ranger’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery, two-weapon combat, or unarmed combat) improves.

If he selected archery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Manyshot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selected two-weapon combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selected unarmed combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Deflect Arrows feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

As before, the benefits of the ranger’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Woodland Stride (Ex)

Starting at 7th level, a ranger may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment.

However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.

Swift Tracker (Ex)

Beginning at 8th level, a ranger can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. He takes only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Evasion (Ex)

At 9th level, a ranger can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the ranger is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless ranger does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Improved Natural Lore
At the 10th level, the ranger may improved one of his natural lore abilities.

If the ranger chooses his animal companion, his effective druid level for his companion is now equal to his ranger level.

If the ranger chooses his spells, his caster level is now equal to his ranger level

If the ranger chooses his sneak attack, his extra damage increases by +1d6 every other level beyond 4th (6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th).

If the ranger chooses his smite enemy, his extra damage now deals 1 extra point of damage per ranger level.

If the ranger chooses his wild shape, the effect lasts for 1 hour per ranger level and he may shape the shape of Large animals.

Combat Style Mastery (Ex)

At 11th level, a ranger’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery, two-weapon combat, or unarmed combat) improves again.

If he selected archery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Precise Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selected two-weapon combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selected unarmed combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having both the Snatch Arrows and Stunning Fist feats, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feats

As before, the benefits of the ranger’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Prey or Predator (Ex)

At the 13th level, a ranger must choose to focus on his stealth or detection.

A ranger who chooses Stealth can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

A ranger who chooses Detection gain Trapfinding, Trap Sense +4, and Uncanny dodge when in any sort of natural terrain

Improved Prey or Predator (Ex)

At the 17th level, a ranger's skill focus improves.

While in any sort of natural terrain, a ranger who chooses Stealth can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

While in any sort of natural terrain, a ranger who chooses Detection gains Improved Uncanny Dodge and Improved Evasion.

JackMage666
2007-07-11, 04:28 PM
Well... Main problem I see is that, f you do this right, you're a much better Rogue than a Rogue. I mean, two-weapon fighting for free, +8d6 Sneak Attack, Improved Uncanny Dodge and Improved Evasion, Trapfinding, Trap Sense +4, in addition to Favored Enemy, Full BAB, 2 good saves, and another benefit (Animal Companion, Smite, Spells, or Wild Shape).

Seems to detract from a rogue quite a bit, especially in higher level campaigns.

Orzel
2007-07-11, 05:14 PM
Well... Main problem I see is that, f you do this right, you're a much better Rogue than a Rogue. I mean, two-weapon fighting for free, +8d6 Sneak Attack, Improved Uncanny Dodge and Improved Evasion, Trapfinding, Trap Sense +4, in addition to Favored Enemy, Full BAB, 2 good saves, and another benefit (Animal Companion, Smite, Spells, or Wild Shape).

Seems to detract from a rogue quite a bit, especially in higher level campaigns.

The point is half of the stuff only works in certain areas and versus certain enemies. My Ranger is designed to be the best skill user in natural environments, the best slayer of particular foes, and below par everywhere else.

I forgot the additional restriction on Ranger sneak attack though.

Orzel
2010-07-21, 11:22 PM
I have updated my variant of the ranger to represent my current view of the class.

To me, the ranger is the master of studying the element of the world that most ignore. Only they bother to know the odd positioning of the elven heart, the strength of a zombie's elbow, the mindset of a demon, or the traction of a forest floor after two days of rain. Nature has it's rules and only a ranger knows how to exploit them for his benefit.

I love a capstone but this good for me for know.

Thoughts?

IcarusWings
2010-07-22, 11:39 AM
I like it, but I don't think Favoured Obstacle works. I just don't like it. Enemy, Environment, and Combatant are good but Obstacle just seems too narrow.

Spiryt
2010-07-22, 11:49 AM
Is it just me or is Favored combatant way better than Favored enemy?

Just way bigger chance that it will kick in.

Not that favored enemy didn't need a buff, but why keep it then anyway?

Also, what happens if enemy counts for more than one category?

Has sneak attack, and ability to cast spells?

Orzel
2010-07-22, 05:28 PM
I like it, but I don't think Favoured Obstacle works. I just don't like it. Enemy, Environment, and Combatant are good but Obstacle just seems too narrow.

A ranger couldn't see so many pit traps that he can find them easily. Truthfully I am still looking for the right combination of skill to use it on. I may even reduce it to doors, walls, traps, ropes, and natural objects.

Is it just me or is Favored combatant way better than Favored enemy?

Just way bigger chance that it will kick in.

Not that favored enemy didn't need a buff, but why keep it then anyway?

Also, what happens if enemy counts for more than one category?

Has sneak attack, and ability to cast spells?

The large one counts. No stacking. I might even increase the number of combatants.

IcarusWings
2010-07-23, 12:54 AM
A ranger couldn't see so many pit traps that he can find them easily. Truthfully I am still looking for the right combination of skill to use it on. I may even reduce it to doors, walls, traps, ropes, and natural objects.

Yeah, but the point is I don't really like the fluff of it either. I like the fluff of Ranger Lord of the Wood, or Ranger Orc-Slayer, or Ranger Mage-Hunter, but Ranger Who is Good at Getting Out of Traps, isn't really as iconic a fantasy archetype.

Orzel
2010-07-23, 05:29 AM
To each his own.

It was more of a Wallcracker or Mazewanderer fluff.

"The good thing about the Wall of Stone spell. The 3rd rock from the bottom..."

CRASH!

"...is always the weakest point. Let's not let him get away. I hate people who use those spells."

Pechvarry
2010-07-23, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I agree with the flavor, or at least putting in the ability for players to use said flavor even if you don't intend to use it yourself. I also really like favored combatant. I am a bit fuzzy on how the favored X grows, but I just need to read it a 2nd time.

Anyway: I don't like that your animal companion and caster level are still half level. Especially animal companion, as it makes it pretty much inferior to other options unless you're a good optimizer (sneak attack build using a companion whose goal isn't to hit but to survive while providing flanking). I'd like to see both of those options changed to Ranger level -3, but that's me.

Draz74
2010-07-23, 05:31 PM
Yeah, but the point is I don't really like the fluff of it either. I like the fluff of Ranger Lord of the Wood, or Ranger Orc-Slayer, or Ranger Mage-Hunter, but Ranger Who is Good at Getting Out of Traps, isn't really as iconic a fantasy archetype.

I dunno. My mom used to watch some Western series when I was a kid where the main character was basically a Ranger Who Was Good at Getting Out of Traps. (Oddly, in light of D&D rules, his best skill seemed to be Escape Artist, rather than Search or Disable Device.)

Orzel
2010-07-23, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I agree with the flavor, or at least putting in the ability for players to use said flavor even if you don't intend to use it yourself. I also really like favored combatant. I am a bit fuzzy on how the favored X grows, but I just need to read it a 2nd time.

Anyway: I don't like that your animal companion and caster level are still half level. Especially animal companion, as it makes it pretty much inferior to other options unless you're a good optimizer (sneak attack build using a companion whose goal isn't to hit but to survive while providing flanking). I'd like to see both of those options changed to Ranger level -3, but that's me.

Focused Rangers get one favored enemy at +2. It increase each level by +3, to a maximum of +59 :belkar:

Spread Rangers start with one and gain two per level (39 favoreds at level 20). They are all at +2.

Customized ranger start with one and get one each even level. Each odd level after 1 they increase one favored by +2.

Also, Improved Natural Lore boosts animal companion's druid level and caster level. But you only get to choose one.

EDIT: I changed favored obstacle to material to make it easier to fluff and crunch.