PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Levelling my fighter/barbarian/warlock

Monarark
2016-10-15, 12:27 AM
Now I know it's not optimised and that I could have done things better but here I am anyway and everything made sense from an RP perspective. Been playing this character for nearly a year now and will go to lvl 20 if I survive or don't have any IC reason to retire.

Dragonborn Battlemaster Fighter 8 Wolf Totem Barbarian 3 Great Old One Warlock 2

We have a conjurer wizard, an assassin rogue and deep stalker ranger in the party.

My dex is bad and charisma is only 14 and I'm a strength based dual wielder.

So was wondering what everyone thought I should do for my lvl 20 build.
Know I'd go pact of the tome out of the others.

djreynolds
2016-10-15, 12:39 AM
So you are using EB as your ranger attack, very nice.

Well you definitely want to get to 11 fighter and that would give you 4 level to play with.

I would go 12 fighter, 4 totem, 4 warlock you might need the ASI.

I would grab, IMO, resilient wisdom. I'm guessing you are wearing medium armor, half plate

I need more info. What invocations does your warlock have? What are your stats, rolled or point buy?

And it is optimized, you have damage mitigation from barbarian when you need it. You have 3 attacks when duel wielding, and a good ranged attack in EB.

I would make strength, take resilient wisdom, and see what you have left over

Monarark
2016-10-15, 12:47 AM
20 str
12 dex
18 con
12 in
12 wis
14 char
Was rolled.

djreynolds
2016-10-15, 01:30 AM
20 str
12 dex
18 con
12 in
12 wis
14 char
Was rolled.

Agonizing and repelling blast?

Half plate and 12 dex is AC 16, not bad, +1 if you the have duel wielder feat

Max str, good. I would definitely grab resilient wisdom, we had a one time battle versus demon lord, and even with resilient wisdom the barbarian I made spent much time groveling, DC 23.

Fighter get feats at 12 and 14, and the barbarian get 1 at 4th.

Go fighter 14, and barbarian 4 and warlock 2.

That's 3 feats....

But you know what, you have some spell slots you can't use while raging. Hmmm. Power gaming here.

12 fighter, 3 barbarian, 2 warlock, and 3 paladin and use those spell slots to smite while raging. Yes, you'll have 2 feats. Grab resilient wisdom and max out con.

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-15, 04:38 AM
12 fighter, 3 barbarian, 2 warlock, and 3 paladin and use those spell slots to smite while raging. Yes, you'll have 2 feats. Grab resilient wisdom and max out con.

I second this, but don't even really know/care what you take in regards to Pal3. Take that in whatever. You don't have enough Spell Slots as a Warlock to fuel Smites. Even a Lv3 Paladin doesn't get many slots, once you cut that in half due to the stupid multiclassing rules. It would only be worth it for going Vengeance and getting Advantage without relying on Reckless Attack.

I agree, Fighter11 is practically a must, now.
Warlock better have: Eldritch Blast cantrip, Agonizing Blast invocation, Fiendish Vigor invocation, and Armor of Agathys.
You already have what you want from Barbarian - Bear Totem and Reckless Attack.

Cast Armor of Agathys before you Rage - it's not a concentration spell, and it's just TempHP and added damage if they hit you. With Resistance from Bear Totem, you practically double the TempHP gain.

For this reason, I suggest getting Warlock to 5, so that you can cast AoA as a 3rd level spell. That's 15HP, and deals 15dam to whoever hits you.
You'll get a Pact doing this - go nuts, it doesn't really matter:
Chains gets you a cool Familiar who can grant magic resistance
Blade means you always have at least 1 weapon in any situation
Tome is the only one that's really worthless to you, unless you just want some RP cantrips.

So now it's:
Fighter11, Barb3, Lock5.
You could go to Fighter12 or Barb4 for the ASI, or you can go to Lock6. At 6, you get the trait from your Great Old One, allowing you to use a reaction and grant an incoming attack Disadvantage - you get Advantage on the next attack against that person. You can do it once per short rest. I doubt it's worth an ASI, but it could offset your Reckless Attack once.