PDA

View Full Version : What do they make these handcuffs out of?

Dhavaer
2007-07-11, 05:54 AM
The d20 Modern core rulebook lists handcuffs as hardness 10, hp 10, break DC 30. Well and good. However, chain is listed as hardness 10, hp 5, break DC 26.
Is there some reason snapping the little chain holding the cuffs together is more difficult than breaking full sized chains? Or are they talking about rending the cuffs apart entirely, in which case what would be a good DC to break the cuffs apart?

Ikkitosen
2007-07-11, 05:58 AM
I'm guessing the break DC applies when you're wearing them, meaning your hands are restricted in movement and you can't bring your full strength to bear, as you could if you were breaking a loose chain length.

Elana
2007-07-11, 06:39 AM
Or they might mean those better cuffs that are one piece and not build with a chain.

Dhavaer
2007-07-11, 07:55 AM
What do you think the break DC of these cuffs should be?
http://www.whatsfunky.com/images/product/00000243_LARGE.jpg

Ashtar
2007-07-11, 08:01 AM
Low grade metal, wonky mechanism inside with a simple pin structure to stop them opening (you can feel it by wobbling the closing mechanism from side to side), there is a quick release mechanism on the side (if ever you lose the keys :smallsmile: [See the slot on the side of the left handcuff] ) that is quite accessible.

I would say, DC 16 Break, seeing that I broke a pair just like that during... hum hum... better stop there.

Elana
2007-07-11, 08:03 AM
Funny is, it's a lot easier to open those with the lever instead of the key.

A +20 circumstance bonus to your escape artist roll. Great items :D

Ashtar
2007-07-11, 08:05 AM
DC 26 for something like this: http://www.armynavyshop.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/30093a.jpg

Those are a handful to get out of without the key... I failed.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-11, 08:11 AM
I played around with some last time I went back to camp. With the right key(or some lockpick training), you can even open them while wearing them. Of course, it helps that I can make at least one hand's thumb bend back to its own forearm.

Dervag
2007-07-11, 08:37 AM
Yes, but that's Houdini-ing your way out of the handcuffs using the Escape Artist or Open Lock skill, not Hulkifying your way out of them by breaking them with a Strength check.

At a guess, I'd say that the theory in the second post is correct. Breaking a pair of handcuffs when you're inside them is much harder than breaking them would be if you could grab one cuff in each hand and pull them apart with a vigorous arm motion. That's one of the design features of handcuffs; by chaining your arms in place they make it much harder for you to exert leverage.

Kiroho
2007-07-11, 08:44 AM
Yes, but that's Houdini-ing your way out of the handcuffs using the Escape Artist or Open Lock skill, not Hulkifying your way out of them by breaking them with a Strength check.

At a guess, I'd say that the theory in the second post is correct. Breaking a pair of handcuffs when you're inside them is much harder than breaking them would be if you could grab one cuff in each hand and pull them apart with a vigorous arm motion. That's one of the design features of handcuffs; by chaining your arms in place they make it much harder for you to exert leverage.

Especially if they're on correctly, behind your back. Just try to exert any pressure that way, although I understand that PCP helps considerably.

lukelightning
2007-07-11, 08:47 AM
All I know is that the proper method of breaking your manacles is to yank the chain shackling you to the wall out of its brackets and then use that chain to beat up the guards, then when the big tough guard hacks at you with his sword or axe you "parry" with the manacles and he chops through them, then you disarm him with the chain and take his sword and carve your way through mobs of mooks into the temple chamber where you kill the high priest and rescue the scantilly-cladded princess.

Keld Denar
2007-07-11, 09:03 AM
All I know is that the proper method of breaking your manacles is to yank the chain shackling you to the wall out of its brackets and then use that chain to beat up the guards, then when the big tough guard hacks at you with his sword or axe you "parry" with the manacles and he chops through them, then you disarm him with the chain and take his sword and carve your way through mobs of mooks into the temple chamber where you kill the high priest and rescue the scantilly-cladded princess.

Well played. I actually did that in a game once, minus the high priest and princess parts. Nat 20 strength check anyone?

Jayabalard
2007-07-11, 09:07 AM
I'm guessing the break DC applies when you're wearing them, meaning your hands are restricted in movement and you can't bring your full strength to bear, as you could if you were breaking a loose chain length.that's what I was thinking as well.

lukelightning
2007-07-11, 10:11 AM
DC 69? Or is that too juvenile :smallbiggrin:

What do you think the break DC of these cuffs should be?
http://www.whatsfunky.com/images/product/00000243_LARGE.jpg

Kiroho
2007-07-11, 10:15 AM
DC 69? Or is that too juvenile :smallbiggrin:

Yes it was juvenile. Fortunately, it was also really really funny.

Dervag
2007-07-11, 10:19 AM
Especially if they're on correctly, behind your back. Just try to exert any pressure that way, although I understand that PCP helps considerably.Yes, because when you're on PCP the fact that you just tore apart half the muscle cells in your arms trying to exert that kind of force with no leverage escapes you.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-11, 11:53 AM
Unless you're built like an eagle(with huge lats, or "wings"), it's not too hard to bring your hands to the front by stepping "through" them. The main impediment would be the 2(or more, usually) cops standing around at the time.:smallwink:

As far as breaking them goes, the usual modern method is a fireman's axe. Trying to burst them from the inside is a bad idea, since it leads to stuff like fractured wrists and such.

Little-known fact. Most modern handcuffs usually have a small hole with a notch that the knob at the back of handcuff keys fits into. See "Double Locks" section under Wikipedia article on handcuffs for more details.