PDA

View Full Version : Optimization EK /Wizard Multiclass Break Points

Captain Bob
2016-10-15, 03:45 PM
So the thread floating around about a high level EK / Wizard multi-class caught my eye...I'm currently playing curse of Strahd as an EK, and I'm contemplating a dip into wizard. We just hit level 5 (expected to reach 10), so my question is: 5 EK / 5 Wiz? Wait for 7 EK / 3 Wiz for the ASI and war magic? My thought was to go with the latter, since the major pick ups for wizard are available with the 3 levels alone - 3rd level spells, spell book, level 2 feature, while still boosting at-will damage with the retention of war magic. Advice? Is this just a bad idea in general and I should be staying with EK all the way through? Thanks.

**Relevant background, my part consists of 2 barbarians 2 fighters and a rogue... we fixed stat rolled each slot and no one got creative, thus I'm the closest thing to a caster we have. Which is the motive behind the MC idea

Captain Bob
2016-10-15, 03:47 PM
Nevermind... just saw the other post addressing this very top. Sorry Mods

PeteNutButter
2016-10-16, 12:56 PM
ASIs are very strong, especially when you need warcaster. I'd recommend fighter 6/wizard from then on. It's best for you to get EK levels in numbers divisible by 3 for optimal multiclassing with spell slots.

The seventh level EK feature can be attractive but is often outpaced by using extra attack so long as you can make good use of your bonus action.

If you don't have anything good to do with your bonus action you can take fighter to probably 8, but then you are multiclassing very late, and barely get much from wizard.

Point is ASIs are of higher value than most class features.

DivisibleByZero
2016-10-16, 01:19 PM
My thought was to go with the latter, since the major pick ups for wizard are available with the 3 levels alone - 3rd level spells, spell book, level 2 feature, while still boosting at-will damage with the retention of war magic.
Negative on 3rd level spells.
EK7 has 2nd level spells.
Wiz3 has 2nd level spells.
Multiclass EK7/Wiz3 has 3rd level slots, but doesn't know any 3rd level spells, nor can he copy any into his spellbook until he could cast them as a single classed EK or a single classed Wiz.
All he can do with those 3rd level slots is upcast lower level spells that he knows.