PDA

View Full Version : Tempest Cleric Ranger Multiclass Help

Xboy389
2016-10-15, 05:05 PM
In a few weeks I will be joining a campaign with two of my friends. One is going to be a Dwarf Battlemaster Fighter and the other is going to be a Halfling Thief Rogue. I was planning on being a Wood Elf Tempest Cleric / Hunter Ranger and using a crossbow but I am not sure if I should use more magic or martial attacks. Is there any other classes I should look to multiclass into or will my current idea work?

Specter
2016-10-15, 05:12 PM
Well, good thing is you can freely shift between support and damage as needed.

5Ranger levels is all you need, I guess: You get Extra Attack, Hunter's Mark, Pass Without Trace and Fighting Style (Archery, of course). I wouldn't use a Crossbow unless you're going for the feat.

Herobizkit
2016-10-16, 03:59 AM
I'd likely just go straight Tempest Cleric, take the Outlander background (if Ranger flavor is what you're after), and pretend to be a Fighter (wear heavy armor and shield, then melee).

Note:
a) Wood Elf gives you weapon proficiency with swords and bows.
b) Tempest Cleric gives you proficiency in all weapons and heavy armor.
c) Ranger gives you proficiency in all weapons, medium armor and shields.

Tempest Clerics are a healthy hybrid of martial and magical might. It seems like your two pals are already going to be heavy single-target damage dealers. IMO, Rangers are more of the same: hit something hard 'til it dies. Archery is a strong option, but some of your early Tempest class powers require you to be in melee.

Let me introduce you to the Ranger/Druid.

2 Levels of Moon Druid gets you some multi-target spells like Entangle, Faerie Fire, Thunderwave, as well as several cure options (cure wounds, healing word, Goodberry) and some decent buffs (Longstrider, Jump).

Plus, if you get wounded, you can morph into a bear and start taking more abuse. :)

Wolfbot skumley
2016-10-19, 11:39 AM
Seven lvls into new revised ranger gets you greater favored enemy, second attack, hours breaker (or colloids) and volley. Take six lvls of tempest cleric gets you two channel divinities. pair that with lightning arrow and you can put out max damage with a long bow 4d6+2d8. Most campaigns don't actually take you past 10 or 11 so 5/6 or 6/5 cleric/ranger can get you some nice damage output/utility.