PDA

View Full Version : Extra Familiar (#280) and Improved Familiar questions.

bean illus
2016-10-15, 08:54 PM
I am playing around with the Extra Familiar idea and have some questions.

Q 1 Extra Familiar states "Existing familiar feats apply" to the new familiar. That would include Improved Familiar?

Q 2 Is there a way for me to get a Changeling Wizard with Morphic Familiar to include Improved Familiar?

Q 3 Can that be two Morphic Improved Familiars (within alignment constraints etc)?

Nifft
2016-10-15, 11:17 PM
I am playing around with the Extra Familiar idea and have some questions.

Q 1 Extra Familiar states "Existing familiar feats apply" to the new familiar. That would include Improved Familiar? The text seems to indicate yes.

Q 2 Is there a way for me to get a Changeling Wizard with Morphic Familiar to include Improved Familiar?

Q 3 Can that be two Morphic Improved Familiars (within alignment constraints etc)?
Part of the strength of a Morphic Familiar is that you can exchange the bonus which the familiar provides to the Wizard.

Improved Familiars don't provide any bonus to the Wizard.

So this might be a nerf rather than a boost.

- - -

It's not clear to me if Improved Familiar and Morphic Familiar can both apply to one familiar at the same time -- but if they can, then it seems that both should also apply to any Extra Familiar you gain.

Troacctid
2016-10-16, 02:16 AM
Part of the strength of a Morphic Familiar is that you can exchange the bonus which the familiar provides to the Wizard.

Improved Familiars don't provide any bonus to the Wizard.

So this might be a nerf rather than a boost.
First off, you don't lose the option for normal familiars by taking Improved Familiar, so you can still get the boosts if you want them. Secondly, having access to the full variety of SLAs out of all the possible improved familiars is pretty great. And, thirdly, Dragon #331 gives you access to a bunch of improved abilities if you keep your standard familiar after taking Improved Familiar: the bat gives you blindsense, the weasel and snake give you scent, the lizard lets you heal yourself, etc.

So not only is it a boost, it is a massive boost and you'd be crazy not to take it.

bean illus
2016-10-16, 11:31 AM
First off, you don't lose the option for normal familiars by taking Improved Familiar, so you can still get the boosts if you want them. Secondly, having access to the full variety of SLAs out of all the possible improved familiars is pretty great. And, thirdly, Dragon #331 gives you access to a bunch of improved abilities if you keep your standard familiar after taking Improved Familiar: the bat gives you blindsense, the weasel and snake give you scent, the lizard lets you heal yourself, etc.

So not only is it a boost, it is a massive boost and you'd be crazy not to take it.
Yeah, i was thinking that there must be something at least fun to do with this idea.

Obviously (till someone disproves the assumption), I'm gonna ask for build help. Assume 32 point. For reasons that some will think are obvious and others will think are stupid, try to get Facto3 under it. 10 10 14 18 10 12.

Q 4 The needed feats include Extra Familiar and Improved Familiar, but is there a way to improve the build by trading Summon Familiar and then using Obtain Familiar? or is that useless or redundant?

Q 5 Can Racial Emulation be used to take Elven Generalist, thereby getting an extra 9th level spell at 17th level for the cost of a feat?