PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Chivalric Incubus (Warlock Subclass)

Amechra
2016-10-15, 10:19 PM
The Chivalric Incubus (Warlock Patron)

You see her in your dreams - eerily beautiful and precious - or is it a him, strong but gentle? Such wonderful dreams... you sleep longer and longer every night. One day, you didn't wake up.

That didn't stop you - if anything, it kept you going.

1st: Compelled Duel, Sleep
3rd: Calm Emotions, Skywrite
5th: Clairvoyance, Sending
7th: Confusion, Phantasmal Killer
9th: Dominate Person, Modify Memory

1 - Oneiric Self
You never woke up. You are always considered to be asleep - this doesn't prevent you from taking actions. As a side effect, you are immune to any effect that would cause you to fall asleep, and cannot fall Unconscious unless reduced to 0 HP. In addition, you gain an Ideal of Courtly Love (Neutral) - It is better to love from afar than to be loveless.

6 - Decree of Dreams
Sleep is your sword and shield - whenever a creature makes a melee attack against you, you may cast Sleep as a reaction without spending a spell slot, centred on yourself. Once you have done so, you cannot do so again until you've completed a short or long rest. In addition, if you watch someone you care for (represented by a Bond) sleep for the duration of a long rest, you do not need to eat or drink until the next time you take a long rest.

10 - Audience of Grinning Fancies
Your presence coerces sleepers into halting, brief motion. Attacks made against you have Disadvantage as long as there is a sleeping creature within 5ft of you. If the higher die would have hit, the attacker instead damages one of the sleeping creatures, chosen at random.
You may, as a bonus action, have a sleeping creature within 30ft of you stand up and move up to 30ft in a staggering, stumbling walk.

14 - Knight of Madcap Dreams
Whenever you cast Sleep, you may affect 7d8 HP worth of creatures - casting it from a higher level slot affects 3d8 additional HP, rather than 2d8. In addition, you may have any spells you cast originate from a sleeping creature within 30ft, extending the range accordingly - you may do so with cantrips as often as you wish, but casting other spells this way may only be done once before you take a long or short rest.

=---=

The Chivalric Incubus and Pact Boons

Pact of the Chain - The Chivalric Incubus allows you a very special choice of familiar - you may choose a non-player humanoid with two or fewer hit-dice as your familiar. They are always slightly warped, as if viewed through the lens of a dream, and give the dim impression of someone loved from far away.

Pact of the Blade - The Chivalric Incubus treasures weapons scrawled with love-poetry or bound by some unknown lady's favour. The metal gleams in the light as if polished, even when covered in gore.

Pact of the Tome - The tomes granted by the Chivalric Incubus tend towards scraps of diaries and journals, perfumed with secrets and dampened with tears.

Amechra
2016-10-15, 10:28 PM
This is a semi-conversion of my old Resider-in-Dreams (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=13157506&postcount=3) PrC - that one was a lot more overtly creepy (as someone has put it, that PrC was Yandere: The Dreaming).

On the one hand, this Patron does not make your creepy stalking tendencies contagious, replaces "Hey perfectly ordinary person, you're my familiar now. I hope you like it!" with a much more "normal" take on a humanoid familiar¹, and generally makes you less of an overt villain.

Who knows, I might convert my other Warlock PrCs to 5e...

¹ I literally once wrote a feat that let a parent take their own baby as a familiar. Not the weirdest playable thing I've written.

Sicarius Victis
2016-10-16, 12:38 AM
...Your mind worries me.

But besides that, I have a few clarification questions for this.

Since you're immune to the "Unconscious" condition, does that mean that when you're dying and rolling for death saves, you're still capable of functioning just as well as you would when you're healthy? If so, if you had access to Spare the Dying, would you be able to cast it on yourself?

When you cast Sleep for 7d8 hit points, that would be as a 1st-level slot, correct? If so, I take it that the bonus also applies when you cast it through some other way than Pact Magic, as with Pact Magic by that level you'll be casting it as a 5th-level spell anyways.

What level is Sleep from Decree of Dreams cast at?

If you have a humanoid familiar, do you summon one when you cast Find Familiar, or do you cast it on someone who already exists? If it's someoje who already exists, do they have to be there for as long as it takes to cast the spell? Do they have to be willing, or can you make them a familiar by force? If they weren't willing when you cast the spell, are they compelled into your service afterwards?

If your humanoid familiar dies, does casting Find Familiar again bring them back the way it does with conventional familiars, or do you have to find another person and cast the spell on them?

Amechra
2016-10-23, 09:59 PM
1) Yes, you would. I don't see this as too much of a problem, since you can still die to being shanked hard. If it actually is a problem, I can change it so you still fall unconscious while dying.

2) Yes, the feature "overwrites" the basic effect of Sleep.

3) It should be at the standard level for your Warlock spells - do I have to specify that?

4+5) The humanoid familiar should work the same way as claiming an Imp as a familiar would.

Amnoriath
2016-10-24, 06:30 PM
1) Yes, you would. I don't see this as too much of a problem, since you can still die to being shanked hard. If it actually is a problem, I can change it so you still fall unconscious while dying.

If they hit you 3 times after being reduced to 0. Honestly if they can still run around as normal unless they are surrounded in low levels they aren't going to die.

Sariel Vailo
2016-10-27, 07:53 PM
not bad but how about a sexy fighter, im going to use this one as a npc