PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Build advice...

Mikey P
2016-10-16, 02:46 AM
Quite possible I will hit level 6 tomorrow and I'm looking for advice. My GM is using all Unearthed Arcana goodies, and so here's what I've been playing...

Current build:
Whateley
Sorcerer 3 (Favored Soul:Light Domain) / Warlock 2 (Undying Light)
V-Human (Feat - Warcaster)
STR 9 -- DEX 15 -- CON 14 -- INT 10 -- WIS 13 -- CHA 18

Armor: Half Plate + Shield and a Ring of Protection +1 -- AC 20
Eldritch Invocations: Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast.
Metamagic Options: Quickened Spell & Twinned Spell

His next level will be in Sorcerer. So the choice I have is raising Charisma to 20, or taking a Feat (I'm considering Elemental Adept: Fire).

At some point I think I will take a third level of Warlock for Tome goodies, as Shillelagh will synergize nicely with the Favored Soul's Extra Attack. I'm not in a rush though...

I was considering trying to talk my GM into letting me take Paladin levels with a DEX substitution for the STR requirement for smites and a fighting style.

but if not, I could still take a level of fighter for "Close quarters shooter" Fighting Style, close up shooting without disadvantage, ignores partial cover and gives a +1 to hit, and it doesn't specify weapons, so should be usable with Eldritch Blast. I'm wondering if it's worth it... it would also give him Martial weapons which he does not yet have...

So, any advice?

Citan
2016-10-16, 03:41 AM
Quite possible I will hit level 6 tomorrow and I'm looking for advice. My GM is using all Unearthed Arcana goodies, and so here's what I've been playing...

So, any advice?
Hi!
I think all are good options in principle, but with nuances...

CQS
Eldricht Blast is surely good, but more so in the long run. At your current character level, you only get 2 blasts. IMO, since you are Undying Light Warlock and Sorcerer, it's not worth grabbing a whole non-caster level now when you could just use Sacred Flame (dex save, +CHA because radiant), GFB (melee weapon attack, +CHA because fire),
Create Bonfire (Dex save, +CHA because fire) or Shocking Grasp (melee spell, no bonus damage but blocks reaction).
So I'd say take only CQS when you reach character level 11 or later, and only if you really feel a) you are too often stuck in melee b) you are not satisfied with your current aforementioned options.

Elemental Adept
This is evidently a great choice of feat because your archetype choice of Sorcerer and Warlock gives fire spells and extra damage on those.
Still, it is a situational feat, although great when such a case arise.
Did you already found yourself fighting resistant enemies more often than not, or do you expect to? If yes, take it. Otherwise, I'd say way for the next ASI.

CHA bump
This affects everything you do, so it is never a bad choice. With that said, you could also keep it at 18 and instead chose a Resilient feat in either Wisdom or Dexterity, depending on if your first level was in Sorcerer or Warlock, to get proficiency and an even stat. Basically you'd be trading a +1 in CHA DC and saves for a +3<x<+7 (bump to even stat+proficiency) in another ability's saves. A very fair trade imo. :)

Hope that helps you decide! ;)

Gastronomie
2016-10-16, 04:30 AM
IMO Elemental Adept should be selected after CHA +2.

If you chose Twinned Spell for Metamagic, you should first get to Sorcerer 8 as soon as possible. Twinning Haste, Greater Invisibility and Polymorph are all amazing tricks (until you get those, you have Suggestion and Phantasmal Force, but apart from that not many good spells that work with Twinned). Once that's done, feel free to go Paladin 2 or 6, and/or Warlock 2.