PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Sorcerer Spell Help.

Metahuman1
2016-10-16, 07:28 AM
Long story short. Just hit 16th level, getting my first 8th level spell known. Need suggestions. Things that don't offer a save and cause loose/die effects (especially if it gets around things like immunity to death effects somehow the way say, disintegrate does.), and don't allow SR would be preferable.

Someone Else DM
2016-10-16, 11:00 AM
Hard to get no save, no SR spells to meet your requirements.

One of my personal favorites for 8th level is Flensing (SC pg 95)- 1d6 Cha, 1d6 Con, 2d6 damage - lasts 4 rounds. Fort save does not end the spell, but there is SR.

It doesn't follow your needs, but Irresistible Dance is always fun.

Search the forum for Complete Spell list - it will provide numerous lists of sites for research.

Good luck!

MisterKaws
2016-10-16, 11:05 AM
Greater Arcane Fusion is usually regarded as a no-brainer for 8th-level spells, so I guess you should take a look.

Thurbane
2016-10-16, 02:48 PM
No Hit, No Save, No SR effects (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9207.0)

eggynack
2016-10-16, 02:52 PM
Maze does the no save thing. Pretty good, I think.

Metahuman1
2016-10-16, 03:17 PM
Greater Arcane Fusion is usually regarded as a no-brainer for 8th-level spells, so I guess you should take a look.

What book and page number is Greater Arcane Fusion found in/on?

Venger
2016-10-16, 03:19 PM

complete mage, page 96

Blackhawk748
2016-10-16, 03:20 PM

Complete Mage, somewhere in the 90s i suspect

Troacctid
2016-10-16, 05:04 PM
Polymorph any object is also good. It offers a save and SR when used offensively, yes, but the fact that it can also transform yourself, your allies, and inanimate objects in addition to being a save-or-lose makes it arguably the most powerful 8th level spell in the game.

JeminiZero
2016-10-16, 10:25 PM
... PAO is also considered high cheese. Check with DM.

Irresistible Dance is level 8 and has no save, but SR applies and it is blocked by immune to mind affecting.

Stun Ray [Spell Compendium] can stun 1 round even on failed save. But its level 7.

Maze has already been mentioned.

What exactly are you up against? Anything that can cast Deathward will also likely be able to cast:
-Freedom of Movement (web and solid fog and their relatives won't work)
-Sheltered Vitality (immune to Fatigue and Exhaustion, and ability damage and drain).
-Stone Body for Clerics or Plant Body for Druids grant immune to Stun among other things.

Fizban
2016-10-16, 10:34 PM
8th level is a lot like 4th: lots of support and utility spells, not really a new tier of attack spells. It's outside the range where they do battlefield control or really much of any conjuration, you won't find gobs of the cheesy no save/no SR/just lose variety. Maze is the best you're gonna get, assuming you can take them one at a time.

You really want to ruin some group's day, take Chain Dispel (PHB2). Hows about all's of you lose all your buffs, mmkay? Otherwise I like the style of the other Complete Mage 8ths, but if you're looking for auto-win spells they're not what you're looking for.

Âmesang
2016-10-16, 11:11 PM
When I found myself in the same situation I opted for mind blank because mind-affecting effects can be really nasty to deal with, and the last time our party dealt with an insanity-struck PC was by killing him (because grappling him for a limited wish cure took too much effort, apparently, and it was the player's last game with us, anyway). Only my character, the evil character, attempted to keep him alive. :smalltongue: Go figure.

Had the character been able to achieve higher levels prior to the campaign ending short, I would have followed up with polymorph any object and either Otto's irresistible dance or Tharizdun's maddening scream. I may never get the chance to transmute a section of floor into a pool of lava, or transmute a door into a jar.

DirePorkChop
2016-10-17, 10:39 AM
One word.
AVASCULATE!!!

Venger
2016-10-17, 11:18 AM
One word.
AVASCULATE!!!

avasculate is really good, but it's a 7. you want the more powerful version, avascular mass, an 8. it provides the same effect, but the target's blood vessels entangle everyone in the area too

Erit
2016-10-17, 01:11 PM
If you feel like stepping back to 7ths, Geas/Quest is a pretty good option. Ten minute casting time, but who can say no to magical enslavement? Just tie them up, Geas them, and boom; BBEG now serves you.

Venger
2016-10-17, 01:23 PM
If you feel like stepping back to 7ths, Geas/Quest is a pretty good option. Ten minute casting time, but who can say no to magical enslavement? Just tie them up, Geas them, and boom; BBEG now serves you.

geas is a fun spell, but is a 6th, not a 7th

Erit
2016-10-17, 01:59 PM
geas is a fun spell, but is a 6th, not a 7th

Really? Huh. Still pretty strong for how broadly it can apply. I'm surprised it doesn't see more consideration in Tippy-level hypotheticals, really.

Venger
2016-10-17, 02:04 PM
Really? Huh. Still pretty strong for how broadly it can apply. I'm surprised it doesn't see more consideration in Tippy-level hypotheticals, really.

yeah (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasQuest.htm)

I mean, it's a fun spell, but it's really weak. like 99% of ench, you can get blanket immunity from it via protection from (alignment), plus that casting time, you can only zap living creatures with it, and it's a language-dependent mind-affecting compulsion. if you're doing TO stuff, there's little reason to use anything besides mindrape. in actual play, geas is definitely useful when you're doing planar binding type stuff though. it fulfills all the criteria of having an enemy who's at your mercy and where time casting this spell isn't an issue.

Metahuman1
2016-10-17, 04:16 PM
What book is Avasculate in?

Venger
2016-10-17, 04:19 PM
What book is Avasculate in?

originally printed in libris mortis, reprinted in the spell compendium.

Troacctid
2016-10-17, 05:18 PM
... PAO is also considered high cheese. Check with DM.
I mean, is it really "cheese" if you're just using a core spell exactly as intended, and it just happens to be the most powerful 8th level spell in the game even without any shenanigans?

Fizban
2016-10-17, 08:55 PM
Yes. 10 characters