PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fighter (EK) / Ranger Build

Linker2k
2016-10-16, 09:59 AM
Hello i wanted some opinions and guidance (+d4 on options choice :smallbiggrin:) for my build

STATS (rolled)

13 13 14 14 13 11

I choose Ranger 1 (UA Revisited) and Fighter (EK) X

For the race i selected high elf (prestidigitation cantrip)

CHARACTER (Starts at lvl 2)

STR: 11
DEX: 16 (14+2)
CON: 13
INT: 15 (14+1)
WIS: 13
CHR: 13

Armor: Std Leather
FS: Dueling
Favored Enemies: Humanoid
Weapons: B+S (Rapier)

--------------------------------
The first level was Fighter

QUESTION1: Feats

Feats (fighter):

At F lvl 4 :

a.(+1 DEX + 1 CON)
b.(+2 DEX)

At F lvl 6 :

If a:

a. (+1DEX +1 INT)
b. (Resilient DEX)

If b:

a. (+1 DEX + 1 CON)
b. (Warcaster)

At F lvl 8:

Warcaster or any stat bump mentioned above to compensate, any other suggestions available (maybe the sword feat).

QUESTION 2:

Maybe i should just go +2 INT and +2 CON (14 / 14 instead of 15/13). i have History and Investigation selected so it's the +1 really that important?

QUESTION 3:

What spells should i take? (I'm thinking greenflame blade as it escalates really good & Booming blade), for spells, find familiar, shield and absorb elements, down the road maybe mage armor or blur and eventually haste. That's where i dont know if i should get my INT that high.

Specter
2016-10-16, 10:45 AM
I say take Warcaster ASAP. Using Shield and Absorb Elementsalong with a shield turns you into a legitimate Panzer tank. Dex saves don't matter too much if you have AE.

Take one of the SCAG cantrips and a ranged one, like Frostbite or Firebolt and you're good to go. From Ranger take Hunter's Mark and maybe Goodberry and feel fine. And don't take more than 4 ranger levels.

As for archetype, I'd go Hunter for that extra d8.

bid
2016-10-16, 11:06 AM
CON: 13
INT: 15 (14+1)
WIS: 13
CHR: 13

Minor nitpick: you might as well start Con14 and Int14, those odd values give you nothing.

I'd go BB to stop one creature, and take warcaster for your attack of opportunity to stop a second creature with BB.

Linker2k
2016-10-17, 05:32 PM
Minor nitpick: you might as well start Con14 and Int14, those odd values give you nothing.

I'd go BB to stop one creature, and take warcaster for your attack of opportunity to stop a second creature with BB.

Thanks i did that.

I have another question, how good is BB and GFB as i will be having 2 or 3 attacks at some point.

Are these even useful?

Specter
2016-10-17, 06:07 PM
Take one of them. Before you have many attacks, you'll use them, and with War Caster your op attacks with bb/gfb will hurt.

Linker2k
2016-10-18, 07:46 AM
Take one of them. Before you have many attacks, you'll use them, and with War Caster your op attacks with bb/gfb will hurt.

Which one? i was thinking of getting both, BB seems useless for a fighter w/o mobile unless you want to lock an enemy from other party members.

Specter
2016-10-18, 07:51 AM
Which one? i was thinking of getting both, BB seems useless for a fighter w/o mobile unless you want to lock an enemy from other party members.

Exactly. If you want to tank, BB. If you want to damage more close enemies, GFB. I'd go GFB because it plays to one of the Ranger's strenghts, attacking grouped foes.

Linker2k
2016-10-18, 08:04 AM
Exactly. If you want to tank, BB. If you want to damage more close enemies, GFB. I'd go GFB because it plays to one of the Ranger's strenghts, attacking grouped foes.

At first i tought on taking both, but GFB its the only one that compares to multiattack.

At lvl 5 it does extra d8 (as if it was a secondish attack) and d8 + int to the nearest enemy.

What other cantrip can i take, i will only have 14 int so the ones for DC are not strong on me

tieren
2016-10-18, 08:16 AM
What other cantrip can i take, i will only have 14 int so the ones for DC are not strong on me

If you are going to use a bow or crossbow consider mending. If you can repair broken ammunition you will be able to recover more after each fight and have fewer issues with running out.

Specter
2016-10-18, 08:41 AM
The way I see it, you have to choose between Minor Illusion/Create Bonfire/Light for utility, or a ranged option like Fire Bolt or Frostbite. You won’t be as good with it as with a regular attack, but it’s there so you don’t need to drop everything and use a bow.

Linker2k
2016-10-18, 08:42 AM
If you are going to use a bow or crossbow consider mending. If you can repair broken ammunition you will be able to recover more after each fight and have fewer issues with running out.

Ill use sword and shield, i was thinkinh minor illusion but 14 int DC is 12 so pretty bad.

CNagy
2016-10-18, 10:25 AM
I would grab two more levels of Ranger at some point and the Hunter Conclave, with the understanding that Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade can both trigger Horde Breaker.

tieren
2016-10-18, 12:00 PM
Ill use sword and shield, i was thinkinh minor illusion but 14 int DC is 12 so pretty bad.

Minor illusions aren't really meant to stand up to investigation the way non-cantrip illusions do. In most situations just making them burn an action investigating is enough, but more often not necessary (the sound of you running away down the other hallway, some muddy footprints leading to the door you didn't go through, temp. emergency hiding spot, etc...)