PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Telekinesis

ZhanStrider
2016-10-16, 12:51 PM
Is there a lower level version of Telekinesis?
Mage hand is 0 but is there a 4th or lower level Spell for approximately the same effect?

Venger
2016-10-16, 12:58 PM
thre's always control object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlObject.htm)

ShurikVch
2016-10-16, 02:54 PM
Greater Mage Hand (in Spell Compendium)?

Mordaedil
2016-10-17, 04:06 AM
Levitate is technically one, but you can only move objects up and down.

Vogie
2016-10-18, 01:36 PM
Prestidigitation somewhat falls in the telekinesis category

Zaq
2016-10-18, 01:57 PM
Does it have to be a spell? There's some psionic powers that do what you're looking for (Telekinetic Thrust, Telekinetic Maneuver, and Telekinetic Force), though I admit that it's always seemed weird to me that those were three separate powers instead of just one power with different augmentations. (I mean, telekinetic abilities have always been associated with psionic fluff, and the whole deal of psionics is to have a lot of utility packed into one power that you can tweak on the fly, but oh well.) Maybe you can research a spell version?

There's also a Shadowcaster mystery (Umbral Fist, a 3rd level mystery from the Night's Long Fingers path, which can be found in one of the web expansions to Cityscape) that lets you make bull rush/disarm/trip maneuvers at range. (The disarm/trip maneuvers are actually at a weird disadvantage compared to the real thing because you probably won't get the +4 bonus for using a two-handed weapon to deliver the maneuver, but you might see if your GM would be willing to let you work around that somehow.) If Shadowcasters exist in your game, you probably don't want to steal one of the few interesting things they get from them, but if no one is actually playing a Shadowcaster (and therefore it's more okay to give normal full casters, who already have all the toys they could ever want, one of the few unique-ish things available to their unloved Shadowcaster cousins), you might see if you can research a spell version of that as well.

One weird thing that always bugged me about telekinesis in D&D—when you're using telekinesis for combat maneuvers, like bull rush, there's usually no text saying that the usual bonuses/penalties for size don't apply. Which is fine on the target, but it's weird on the caster. It seems strange to me that, assuming the same caster level and the same casting ability mods, a gnome is worse at telekinetic bull rushes than a human, who is worse at telekinetic bull rushes than a goliath.

Venger
2016-10-18, 02:02 PM
Does it have to be a spell? There's some psionic powers that do what you're looking for (Telekinetic Thrust, Telekinetic Maneuver, and Telekinetic Force), though I admit that it's always seemed weird to me that those were three separate powers instead of just one power with different augmentations. (I mean, telekinetic abilities have always been associated with psionic fluff, and the whole deal of psionics is to have a lot of utility packed into one power that you can tweak on the fly, but oh well.) Maybe you can research a spell version?

There's also a Shadowcaster mystery (Umbral Fist, a 3rd level mystery from the Night's Long Fingers path, which can be found in one of the web expansions to Cityscape) that lets you make bull rush/disarm/trip maneuvers at range. (The disarm/trip maneuvers are actually at a weird disadvantage compared to the real thing because you probably won't get the +4 bonus for using a two-handed weapon to deliver the maneuver, but you might be willing to see if your GM could let you work around that somehow.) If Shadowcasters exist in your game, you probably don't want to steal one of the few interesting things they get from them, but if no one is actually playing a Shadowcaster (and therefore it's more okay to give normal full casters, who already have all the toys they could ever want, one of the few unique-ish things available to their unloved Shadowcaster cousins), you might see if you can research a spell version of that as well.

One weird thing that always bugged me about telekinesis in D&D—when you're using telekinesis for combat maneuvers, like bull rush, there's usually no text saying that the usual bonuses/penalties for size don't apply. which is fine on the target, but it's weird on the caster. It seems strange to me that, assuming the same caster level and the same casting ability mods, a gnome is worse at telekinetic bull rushes than a human, who is worse at telekinetic bull rushes than a goliath.

It's not just an oversight, it's a pretty important consideration in how the powers work. it takes them up a notch for egoist, for example, since you get more bang for your buck when manifesting the powers in a big form. it does suck that they're 3 powers.

what it could be is, you know how on tv when a character is telekinetic they have to wave their arms around so we know they're being active and to help their human mind understand how they're exerting the force, if you're really small, you can't flail your arms around as great a distance as you can if you're really big, so maybe that lets them overcome the mental block telekinetics have when it comes to having to wave their arms around slightly.

why do you think the spell has a somatic component?

(I know powers don't have any somatic components)

Zaq
2016-10-18, 02:14 PM
It's not just an oversight, it's a pretty important consideration in how the powers work. it takes them up a notch for egoist, for example, since you get more bang for your buck when manifesting the powers in a big form. it does suck that they're 3 powers.

what it could be is, you know how on tv when a character is telekinetic they have to wave their arms around so we know they're being active and to help their human mind understand how they're exerting the force, if you're really small, you can't flail your arms around as great a distance as you can if you're really big, so maybe that lets them overcome the mental block telekinetics have when it comes to having to wave their arms around slightly.

why do you think the spell has a somatic component?

(I know powers don't have any somatic components)

I guess I just get stuck on the trope of the small character who can telekinetically (with whatever magic system is in place) sling around as much mental force as a hulking brute can sling around physically. Just ask Yoda. "Size matters not," right? I'd be okay with the effective size bonus being tied to caster level or to the effective spell level or whatever, or even if the spell (/power/mystery/whatever) itself specified, the way that Forceful Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forcefulHand.htm) does.. Really, though, I just don't get the feeling like this particular weird rule interaction is fully intentional.

Venger
2016-10-18, 02:25 PM
I guess I just get stuck on the trope of the small character who can telekinetically (with whatever magic system is in place) sling around as much mental force as a hulking brute can sling around physically. Just ask Yoda. "Size matters not," right? I'd be okay with the effective size bonus being tied to caster level or to the effective spell level or whatever, or even if the spell (/power/mystery/whatever) itself specified, the way that Forceful Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forcefulHand.htm) does.. Really, though, I just don't get the feeling like this particular weird rule interaction is fully intentional.

Oh, no, in the abstract sense of how telekinesis works narratively, I'm in complete agreement with you.

a weird rule interaction not being intentional? that's impossible

Kantolin
2016-10-18, 02:47 PM
Wu Jen have a 3rd level spell called magnetism. It's not quite the same thing, but it does let you move metal things. Wu Jen do also get telekinesis itself and can apply spell secrets to specific spells, so if you're focused there you can make it a theme by going wu jen.

Venger
2016-10-18, 03:00 PM
Wu Jen have a 3rd level spell called magnetism. It's not quite the same thing, but it does let you move metal things. Wu Jen do also get telekinesis itself and can apply spell secrets to specific spells, so if you're focused there you can make it a theme by going wu jen.

False gravity is a 3rd level sor/wis that lets you move in any direction you like, or dole out the buff to someone else, treating any surface as providing its own personal gravity. it seems similar to the desired effect.

Bronk
2016-10-18, 06:04 PM
There's the level 1 'launch item', which flings a fine item from you to wherever.

digiman619
2016-10-18, 06:51 PM
*cough*Telekenisis Sphere (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/telekinesis)*cough*

Mordaedil
2016-10-19, 01:21 AM
There's the level 1 'launch item', which flings a fine item from you to wherever.
Cantrip actually. And it's more like a perfect toss than a telekinetic ability.