PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Bard/warlock multiclass advice

Foxydono
2016-10-16, 03:18 PM
I'm planning to play a chaotic (evil) bard who dips into warlock at some point. At which level can I best multiclass and for how many levels?

Edit: I decided on going Bard 17 / Warlock 3 for the familiar. I am still wondering when to multiclass though, maybe after level 6 Bard for additional Magic Secrets?
Additionally, I made a homebrew familiar for the Great Old One. If you like feel free to comment on it: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?503626-Need-help!-Homebrew-Familiar

NecroDancer
2016-10-16, 03:22 PM
Take 2 levels for extra damage,

Take 3 levels for 2nd level spellslots and a boon(don't take more or you will lose 9th level bard spells)

Take 5 levels for 3rd level spellslots and an extra invocation

Callin
2016-10-16, 03:52 PM
As mentioned 2 or 3. As to when thats up to how fast you want your Inspiration Dice to return. At 5th they come back on a short rest.

So what is your role? Support/CC I would say Valor Bard 5/Chain Lock 3. Use your Familar to do Help Actions. Then go Valor Bard the rest of the way.

Elminster298
2016-10-16, 05:29 PM
It also should be mentioned that ASIs aren't as important for support characters but if you plan on doing damage or heavy cc you will need a maxed out cha while still having survivability. It small but can make a huge difference as to how many levels you take for each class and when.

Elminster298
2016-10-16, 05:32 PM
The same can be said for access to spells... If you get 5th lvl warlock spells and go bard the rest, you have a huge amount of mid lvl spells which is great for support but terrible for dmg and heavy cc.

Foxydono
2016-10-16, 05:56 PM
So what is your role? Support/CC I would say Valor Bard 5/Chain Lock 3. Use your Familar to do Help Actions. Then go Valor Bard the rest of the way.
I am mainly support, but it would be nice to do some damage with Eldritch Blast. I was planning to go valor and just have a lot of versatile spells to help my allies and myself :)

It also should be mentioned that ASIs aren't as important for support characters but if you plan on doing damage or heavy cc you will need a maxed out cha while still having survivability.
As said above I'm mainly support, but I will definitely do some damage or cc every now and then. I was planning to max charisma at one point, but I haven't figured out ASI's yet.

If you get 5th lvl warlock spells and go bard the rest, you have a huge amount of mid lvl spells which is great for support but terrible for dmg and heavy cc.
I'm not sure what my end level will be, but I am hoping to get Mass Heal or True Resurrection at some point. In this case it's probably best to stick to a 2 or 3 level dip. If I do go into a 3rd level I will definitely go with Pact of the Chain for a familiar. Just not sure whether this is worth it. And I was thinking of getting bard 6 first for additional magical secrets and then going Warlock. Or should I multiclass earlier/later?

Edit: I think I will go level 3 warlock for a familiar, but I'm not so happy with the choices I have so I'll make another thread for making a homebrew familiar :)