PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advice for a low level Brawler and Martial Flexibility?

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-16, 07:20 PM
Just got done playing in my first ever Pathfinder game with a Brawler character. Lots of fun, but I forgot to make a list of combat feats to make use of with my Martial Flexibility class feature.

Before I go digging through the pfsrd myself, I thought I'd see if the Playground had any advice about really standout feats that I'd want to keep in mind, or ones that are situationally good but not worth spending a normal feat choice to get. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for feats to take as I level up in order to expand the range of combat feats I qualify to spontaneously acquire, that would be neat.

Thanks! :smallsmile:

CharonsHelper
2016-10-16, 07:33 PM
The first thing - take Combat Expertise yourself. A LOT of situational feats are hidden behind Combat Expertise.

Then you can take all of the Improved Maneuver feats with Martial Flexibility which can all be situationally handy. (including Improved Feint - which is awesome against high Dex targets such as Will o Wisps) On a narrow bridge over a chasm? Bull-rushing them over the edge sounds pretty awesome. etc.

Blind-Fight is a very situational feat - but amazing when it comes up. You can even just use it when up against Mirror Image, Displacement, or anything with a gaze attack by closing your eyes.

Deflect Arrow is handy if you run into a nasty archer.

Step-Up can also be awesome against either an archer or a spell-caster.

Once you can take 2 feats - having the option for Point Blank Shot & Rapid-Shot is pretty sweet in situations when you can't melee. (against flyers etc) You won't be as good as a dedicated archer, but you'll be decent.

Note: To warn you - due to all of the situational feat choices, a normal Brawler might not be the best choice for your first Pathfinder character. You might want to consider seeing if your GM will still let you take one of the archetypes which gives up Martial Flexibility. (Snakebite Striker is a pretty solid archetype which does so and gains Sneak Attack and some other bonuses.)

Secret Wizard
2016-10-16, 08:24 PM
Dirty Fighting is a million times better than Combat Expertise.

CharonsHelper
2016-10-16, 08:35 PM
Dirty Fighting is a million times better than Combat Expertise.

Yes - but Improved Dirty Fighting requires Combat Expertise. Martial Flexibility doesn't let you ignore prerequisites, so I suggested taking Combat Expertise himself to allow him to have many more options (such as Improved Dirty Fighting) with Martial Flexibility.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-10-16, 09:36 PM
He means this feat. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dirty-fighting-combat)

CharonsHelper
2016-10-16, 09:41 PM
He means this feat. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dirty-fighting-combat)

Fair enough - but that's rather situational since you need to flank.

Secret Wizard
2016-10-16, 10:57 PM
Better situational than "never used".

DedWards
2016-10-17, 12:11 AM
Depending on the other player characters, we must not forget Teamwork Feats, some of them are Combat Feats. I'm currently working on planning a Hunter level by level, and some of the Teamwork Feats are super powerful. So if there's a PC with Combat Feats (Hunter, Inquisitor, and a few others), provided they take Combat Teamwork Feats, you can join in the Teamwork fun with Martial Flexibility.