PDA

View Full Version : Is war weaver of any use at epic levels?

dehro
2016-10-17, 02:15 AM
I'm playing a 10 bard/9 sublime chord.
The idea is to take the last level of sublime chord too.
Once I've gotten there, I have half a mind, providing the campaign goes further, to take the war weaver levels.
The party includes 2 blasters (war mage and sorcerer) another sorcerer, a blackguard, a ranger and a paladin.
My main role, in combat, is that of party buffer, with the occasional successful attempt at ensnaring/time locking an opponent or two; my other functions being that of occasional face and/or comic relief. I'm neither the main blaster nor any good in melee. We don't really have a healer, but I'm not particularly interested into filling that role.

Now.. Is increasing my boosting capabilities worth it? Or do the spells I could further buff my buddies with this way become largely irrelevant at these levels?
War weaver seems very appropriate to the character, but if it's really a pointless waste of levels I can always just go for more bard levels or something else entirely, maybe actually go for something with a healing ability or two. I do however need to pick something before I hit level 20, in order to grab a feat or skill point as needed to qualify for whatever I end up picking.
I'm not very familiar with the class and have yet to investigate just which buffs are legal to cast and useful to as many of my companions as possible. Ideas and opinions are welcome.

Bonus question: can a war weaver cast spells from scrolls or wands into the weave?

Rebel7284
2016-10-17, 02:46 AM
First, a link to existing handbook: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1473.0

Because of the limitation that stored spells must be of level equal to your class level or lower, it takes a while to store meaningful buffs. With that said, casting a dozen small buffs as a move action, including stuff like Polymorph is not bad.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-17, 02:49 AM
Legacy champion is your friend.

Thaneus
2016-10-17, 03:30 AM
Hi dehro,
I am currently playing a Bard 7, Warweaver 2, Virtuoso, 1, Sublime Cord 2, Warweaver 3 (Current level 15).
Since nearly all my spells are Buffs which be cast in the tapestry (these harmless descriptors are nasty stuff) it is a great boon.
Saving the Spells up in the morning thanks to Quiescent Weaving and then blurring them out in a fight is also nice (yes blur is one of the spells in normally save). Thanks to my virtuoso level it is ruled i have my fascinate class skill back even when i dropped it for healing hymn, which takes care of all healing (perform roll for 13ranks+10cha+9others) of my group with a level 1 or 2 spell in 1 action (capstone Enlarged tapestry).
It was not a large investment and certainly make you way more important then "just" IC+DFI combos.
In the text of Eldritch Tapestry it is stated "your spell" as only description which spell can be woven. Since my DM interprets all spells made by scrolls or wands are yours, because you need the ability to cast it and take the action for this it is by all means your spell (even when UMDed since its also you imitate you can do it, you are not borrowing some kind of outer force or something). Some munchkins are also interpreting spells used on a glyph seal will also work but here he ruled "no" because it is not made by me but just triggered, same as for magic items with charges.
Good spells from my experience so far, as either wand or spell know:
Any heal+healing hymn
Polymorph -> you have to define form for all; can be argued you can make individual decisions but at least for my table its one 12 headed hydra = all 12 headed hydra or fail because refused, remeber the harmless part :) )
Blur
Nervskitter (more ini = more survival and be first to cast Hast is always good)
Dimension Step (a real live saver when someone in the party is grappled and can not be freed)
Freedom of Movement (same as above)
Darksight and Eboneyes
Fly
Displacment
Protection from X
Endure Elements
Tongues (nice stuff when talking to npc and for your fascinate stuff)
and many more

this added with the rest of your buff capacity you can easily challenge stuff way above you CR as a team without taking much of a sweat.
I dont see anything what reduces this for epic use except illusion-buffs might not be an option anymore because of TS all around but everything else is still valid.

The downside is, as mentioned before, only harmless spells (something like enlarge person is not harmless) and the spells have all the range as stated in the spells description except you meta them with enlarge spell or you walk the WW5 for auto enlarge.

My startingcombo first round: Immidiate: Nervskitter; Standart1: Hast; Standart 2: Polymorph (War Troll, stable choice); Move: Quiescent Weaving Displacement, Protection from Evil, Dimension Step
2nd round Badge of valor for boosting next IC (free), immidiate Inspirational Boost; Standart1: Bardic Music Focused Performance Double Performance (Dragon #338) IC+DFI with WoC ((3+1 Inspirational boost+Song of the Heart)*2)+1 BoV... 2nd and move for whatever (normally hitting something with my sizing stunning crystal echo-blade with my Bab 7+11(IC)+10Str+1 Weapon for 2D6+11 IC+ 11 Str+11W6 Fire damage.
Most fights end in 5 rounds.
At the end of the fight i drop a cure moderate wounds+healing hymn for 2d8+10+ 33to52 (remeber the performace check?) to all my mates and be done.

dehro
2016-10-17, 04:07 AM
Legacy champion is your friend.

How? I'm not sure how the class mechanics mesh with bard/supreme chord...
From an in game pov, it feels a bit odd that I've come to level 20 without really mentioning any specific item even once and now I suddenly have this ancestral bond with an object.. Acquiring such an item would need a lot of collaboration from the DM, on account of how we're bouncing between the realm of chaos, an utterly dilapidated material plane and heading towards potentially the final war in which the fate of the world will be decided. (there's also the fact that the group's paladin's sword is a major plot point. Adding a legacy item out of the blue.. I don't know)
Anyway, Ingame difficulties notwithstanding, how does the class add to my current build? I really am curious

Thaneus
2016-10-17, 04:28 AM
Its to cheese around the WW5 restriction (only spels per WW level can be woven).
Since Legacy Champion adds to a already existing class you have, some interpret it as the way how you can knack up the level 5 restriction up to epic level buff spells (LC is 8/10 existing! Class bonus; add it to WW5 -> WW13).
Some use it to pump classes like Chameleon to level 9 and above spells also.
I am not fond of such reading, but since it is fixed in my language anyway there is no discussion (translates like up to maximum class level provided by class).

dehro
2016-10-17, 06:20 AM
Its to cheese around the WW5 restriction (only spels per WW level can be woven).
Since Legacy Champion adds to a already existing class you have, some interpret it as the way how you can knack up the level 5 restriction up to epic level buff spells (LC is 8/10 existing! Class bonus; add it to WW5 -> WW13).
Some use it to pump classes like Chameleon to level 9 and above spells also.
I am not fond of such reading, but since it is fixed in my language anyway there is no discussion (translates like up to maximum class level provided by class).

I see.. Well, no, that's not going to be my DM's reading, so I'm not even going to try it.. Also, there are good chances that my character will perish long before I reach ww5.. And it's just as possible that our campaign will end before it even becomes an issue.
I also just realised that my spell list only has fairly limited number of actual buffs.. Most of the boost occurring by Bardic music.
I'll have to see if maybe I can use limited wish to unlearn a few more spell and learn more useful ones (useful in the weave).