PDA

View Full Version : Ideas wanted!! Different barbarian totems warlock style

djreynolds
2016-10-17, 02:44 AM
What if, as a barbarian, like a warlock, you could have evil totems, like a fiend, or great old one, or dragons, whatever.

I see a lot of players wish barbarians could get a little something else, different.

While raging, you open yourself to become possessed temporarily by an otherworldly being, perhaps an Archfey gives you bonus versus the un-natural world and fey cannot harm you or try to harm.

For the fiend, while raging perhaps you get bonuses versus goodly characters.

Just spit balling here and ignoring work.

Herobizkit
2016-10-17, 05:21 AM
Pretty rad concept. Easy to flavor while using the same mechanics, or by multi-classing Warlock.

Reminds me of an old anime called Devilman.

djreynolds
2016-10-17, 10:12 AM
Pretty rad concept. Easy to flavor while using the same mechanics, or by multi-classing Warlock.

Reminds me of an old anime called Devilman.

That is cool. I've seen some talk about barbarian warlocks. Sounds cool.

Evil savages, what would a totem warrior of an Orc God look like?

What would a fiend totem warrior be?

A rage mechanic where you take damage, but give some of it back on the next strike.

Arkhios
2016-10-17, 04:20 PM
Check this out maybe? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?467720-Totem-Warrior-variant-features-Dragon-Totem-and-a-primal-path-Ragechemist&highlight=Dragon+totem) for inspiration or anything. Especially the Totem.

MrStabby
2016-10-17, 05:11 PM
The idea of a spiritual barbarian appeals to me - with access to ancestor spirits.

Elemental barbarians could work as well - having a tie to an elemental plane could be cool.

Cl0001
2016-10-17, 10:54 PM
Snake:
3rd- your winding and slippery body makes maneuvering through combat easy. All attacks of opportunity are made at disadvantage

6th- your eyes are hypnotic and cold. Once per day you can attempt to charm, or frighten anyone who can see your eyes range 20ft. Wisdom St, DC 8+ charisma+ prof

14th- your attacks are poisonous deal 1d6 extra poison damage to all melee attacks. In addition gain resistance to poison.

Arkhios
2016-10-17, 11:35 PM
The idea of a spiritual barbarian appeals to me - with access to ancestor spirits.

If you referred to my previous post, as a little explanation regarding the dragon totem, I figured that instead of making a separate totem for each dragon type it would make more sense if the spiritual connection to dragons in general would key off from abilities that all dragons share: being frightening or awe-inspiring, and more survivable in harsh conditions.

I could probably try and make something similar for one's own ancestors instead of dragons, it's pretty cool concept as well.
Although I think it should be somewhat general in nature since making features separate for each race would take insane amount of time and space :P

Elemental barbarians could work as well - having a tie to an elemental plane could be cool.

On the contrary to dragon spirit above, since there are only four primary elemental planes (air, earth, fire, and water) it shouldn't be too much of an ordeal to come up with separate features which would depend on each particular element.

Hrugner
2016-10-17, 11:57 PM
Here's a couple of rough outs of barbarian variants I've been kicking around.

Nobility totem:
You are filled with the spirit of your own arrogance and pride in your race. You're a super bigot and sociopath. Your disdain for others causes you to be unconcerned with your opponents leaving you open to reprisals and unaware of your opponents actions.
Spells You cast sanctuary as a bonus action chr mod times per day after downing an opponent instead of the two animal spells gained at 3rd. At tenth you can cast Geas once per day on an enemy you've personally defeated but spared.
3rd: You can use intimidate in place of any athletics checks made to push or grapple opponents, the range of any such ability increases by 5 feet. You always get an opportunity to rage during the surprise round, even if nobody is surprised, but you always go last in the initiative order. You also can no longer use or benefit from the help action.
6th: Your complete disregard for others gives you advantage on charisma checks while at full health. You gain expertise in deception. You treat every insight dice roll as a 5.
14: While raging you can make deception checks in place of will and intelligence saves to avoid spells and effects that do no hit point damage, you also add your charisma bonus to your AC when not using a shield while raging. You can no longer spot illusions with an investigation check.

Chimera totem:
Spells: 3rd level spell replaced by alter self while raging. At 10th level the barbarian can breath fire as an action immediately after raging once per short rest. 6d8 fire damage 15ft cone DC is 8+prof+con
3rd level: The greed of the dragon's head lets the barbarian spend his reaction on a sleight of hand maneuver against an enemy who misses him with a melee weapon or spell attack. He may also use the 5 foot shove action in place of an opportunity strike.
6th level: The ostentatious and avariciousness of the chimeric spirit lets the barbarian live with a noble's lifestyle at no cost during down time, but spending more than a week in any one location will bring trouble with guilds, governments or any number of authority figures unless those figures are of demonic origin. He is at disadvantage when attempting to use charisma checks to disguise himself as someone less exciting or profess modesty.
14th level: The Chimeric barbarian's goatheaded stubbornness prevents him from taking the withdraw action and his lion's ferocity prevents him from choosing to knock out his opponent rather than killing them. However, he can press the attack by using his reaction to attack enemies within 5 feet who become stunned, proned, restrained, frightened, paralyzed, grappled or incapacitated.

djreynolds
2016-10-18, 12:18 AM
Check this out maybe? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?467720-Totem-Warrior-variant-features-Dragon-Totem-and-a-primal-path-Ragechemist&highlight=Dragon+totem) for inspiration or anything. Especially the Totem.

Why have I never heard of this till now?

This is great.

Arkhios
2016-10-18, 01:20 AM
Why have I never heard of this till now?

This is great.

Glad you liked it. Feel free to participate in the possible design of Ancestral and Elemental Spirit Paths in that thread.

djreynolds
2016-10-18, 03:32 AM
Glad you liked it. Feel free to participate in the possible design of Ancestral and Elemental Spirit Paths in that thread.

The ancestral sounds cool, and even like an evil spirits, an oathbreaker so to speak.

What do you think of a different kind of rage? Were instead of taking half damage, you take full but in return give half of that damage back... like retributive strike... imagine that with brutal critical, really reckless abandon.

I could ancestral heading down that path, trying to right a wrong at any cost, to clear your ancestors name.

I just don't want to give spiritual weapon, but since it is not concentration can a barbarian use it while raging?

Arkhios
2016-10-18, 03:44 AM
The ancestral sounds cool, and even like an evil spirits, an oathbreaker so to speak.

What do you think of a different kind of rage? Were instead of taking half damage, you take full but in return give half of that damage back... like retributive strike... imagine that with brutal critical, really reckless abandon.

I could ancestral heading down that path, trying to right a wrong at any cost, to clear your ancestors name.

I just don't want to give spiritual weapon, but since it is not concentration can a barbarian use it while raging?

It might end up being a bit too powerful if you would mirror the damage in flat amounts. But the idea is worth considering.

djreynolds
2016-10-18, 06:56 AM
It might end up being a bit too powerful if you would mirror the damage in flat amounts. But the idea is worth considering.

But imagine raging with reckless attack, but no resistance with the rage, instead you give back half damage... could die real quick.

I like the dragon idea, it would cool if it was like prehistoric, dinosaur, and you had to use primitive weapons. Remember the old movies.

Even like a primitive ranger as well.

Arkhios
2016-10-18, 07:25 AM
But imagine raging with reckless attack, but no resistance with the rage, instead you give back half damage... could die real quick.

I think it would be better to try and build up from how rage works, instead of "going backwards", stripping away something the character has had for 2 levels before reaching 3rd. It's just a little odd that for 2 levels you'd be able to resist damage, and suddenly forevermore you lose that ability.

Maybe make it part of your reckless attack option:
At 3rd level, when you use Reckless Attack while raging and you take damage because of it, your attacker takes <insert type> damage equal to your Constitution modifier.

Douche
2016-10-18, 07:45 AM
If you want a dark warrior type character, I would suggest the Blood Hunter on DM guild.

Specter
2016-10-18, 08:06 AM
DRAGON SPIRIT

3rd level: give 1d6 extra damage of the same elemental type as your dragon spirit when raging
6th level: get permanent resistance to your dragon spirit's elemental damage
10th level: improve your unarmored defense to DEX+CON+2
14th level: 2d6 on raging attacks, advantage on saving throws against dragons

Just making conversation.

imaginary
2016-10-18, 08:42 AM
How about a werewolf (or other were-creature)?

I've been toying with that idea of playing werewolf as a PC. It might be a bit powerful to actually contract lyncanthropy as a player. So I was thinking about how to due it using the standard classes.

It occurred to me that when raging, perhaps the barbarian shifts into a werewolf form personifying rage itself. The stats don't even need to change much. Though certainly it would be cool to have claws. And of course there would be those uncontrolled rages during the full moon.

I also contemplated dipping into druid to justify being able to shift into 'wolf' form.

But a dedicated totem might be cool tool. Either way, I think a barbarian could make a great werewolf with a little fluff.

I also thought about a dip into warlock for two reasons. Not only the ability to see in darkness, but also the Fiend patron's ability to get temp HP on a kill seems to fit pretty well with barbarian (and a demonic werewolf).

Thoughts?

~imaginary

Arkhios
2016-10-18, 09:06 AM
DRAGON SPIRIT

3rd level: give 1d6 extra damage of the same elemental type as your dragon spirit when raging
6th level: get permanent resistance to your dragon spirit's elemental damage
10th level: improve your unarmored defense to DEX+CON+2
14th level: 2d6 on raging attacks, advantage on saving throws against dragons

Just making conversation.

For conversation's sake, that's not in the same pattern as the usual totems, if it was your intent. Not to belittle your take - it could certainly work, although it might need some balancing, as not every primal path feature is meant to be directly combat oriented.

Totem spirits are at 3rd level, Totem Aspect at 6th, and Totemic Attunement at 10th level, the ritual spells are gained separately at 3rd and 14th levels.