PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon D&D Rulebook

The Shinx
2016-10-17, 08:04 AM
Hello all, first time poster, somewhat common reader here.

I'm here in hopes of, well, get some input on how to make my own handy dandy Pokemon rule-book. I've look over the net to allow players to play as the Pokemon with classes and such, but all I've found was using them as tools. This is something I've made myself. Reason I've said this is because I've seen monster templates allow for a given monster to have class, skills, and the like. So, the idea of me making mine own for Pokemon for Pokemon players themselves.

Here's a small part of what I've have so far, would post the link to the google doc, but it's 89 pages long, so here's a small piece of it to give you an idea. Once I've get to ten posts, I can post the link to it.

Welcome to my Pokémon to Dungeons and Dragons (or P2DnD or Poke-DnD for short) guide. This is where I’ll show you how to play D&D as Pokémon, rather than as Pokémon anthro partners, much like most other guides out there, today (This is mainly because they seem to be just copied/pasted off of one another.).

Now, the Pokémon universe can be very confusing and complicated, due to how some Pokémon have types that contradict one another; a ground type that’s part electric, for example. You also have the many rules that Dungeons and Dragons brings along with it, as well as a horde of books, the large number of player handbooks, the multitude of versions of monster vault and so on. I do believe, however, that there is a way to mix these two themes together with minimal negative impact.

The Pokémon world is well known for being a chaotic place in the air, sea, or on land; no one is truly safe out in the world; no real place to hide from the devastation and mayhem. The same can be said for the D&D world as well; the many undead monsters roaming about in certain places – or attacking settlements in some cases. The many fearsome packs of riders/thieves, that would be, plan out hits/are paid to attack traveling salesmen, villages and other places/groups. For this, one can slowly merge those two articles.

I believe I have the ‘know-how’ to deal with the topics, as you will read below. I’ll try my best to show/explain myself in each part, so someone can use this for their own D&D group or Poke-themed group. I hope you enjoy it as much as I’ve had fun typing it.

Types

The types of a given Pokémon can be seen as racial perks, giving bonuses to skills, for example; an Umbreon would get a plus one to their Hide Skill for dark types, or a plus one (+1) to Cha for a normal type, like a Zangoose. For duel types, like a Bulbasaur, you get the bonuses, but the downside is you’ll have to take a penalty to a skill, let say Bluff, of a negative two (-2).

This skill drawback must be one of their main skills, let say Hide for a rogue, due to having to keep their types in check. EX: A rogue Charizard having to take a hit to his/her hide skill for hiding their flame and keep their wings from subconscious flapping them at the wrong time.

However, the point loses can be split between two skills, like a Barbarian Aggron, each having a negative one (-1) in Intimidate and a negative one (-1) in Survival. Those points can be countered to a certain point, but there must be at least one negative one (-1) in a skill.

Those type-to-skills can be affected by other things, like the Pokémons’ natures, or being feral or Anthro. Those skills can offer better/worse for skills/abilities set for the same kind of Pokémon; but one is anthro and the other is feral.

Pokémon type/racial:

Pokémon, much like any given animal throughout history, they can/had adapted to their surroundings through many generations. Most Pokemon types, if not all the Pokemon types, are currently/had live in areas that’s unnatural to them; a fire type being forced to live in a forest without burning it down, or a water type having to withstanding the outrageous high tempered areas and not die from dehydration.

Like most animals/humans, they’ve able to change depending on where they’re living in due to a number of things. For example, a village filled with ‘Chus that was driven into the sea about 400 years ago, (for whatever reason), and now they become a new kind of water type ‘chus.

Another example would be an Eeveelution that’s taking more of a ground type look to them when they’re forced to move into a desert/cave system, gaining a ground type added along sided to their normal fire, grass, water, etc. types.

Non-natural aquatic Pokémon
The sea is an unforgiving place that can snap at any minute without any mercy. Hiding deep below the waves lies a long lost settlements, secrets of unknown powers that once ruled the world and many things that can help and harm the world.

The ocean had became home to many species of non-water type Pokémon, most of which had to alter their life, along with their appearances, to be able to live down there for one reason or another. After an unknown amount of years below the surface of the waves, they’ve slowly came back onto the land; finding out how much had changed from their stories through the generations.

General aquatic racial traits
All aquatic races have the following racial traits.

Aquatic: An aquatic race gains the aquatic subtype. An aquatic creature can breathe underwater.
Swim speed: An aquatic creature always has a swim speed. It can move through water at its swim speed without making Swim checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some action or avoid a hazard.
Bonus Language: Aquan, aquatic races are familiar with the language of water-based creatures.

Non-natural arctic Pokémon
The desolate cold land reaches fall and wide with it icy grip, causing the land to stand still in time. This place is what many Pokemon call their homeland.This land hasn’t changed much, if at all, throughout the years. But the inhabitants of this land had changed as much as they could to try their best to live. as they look for sources of heat, including hot springs and volcanic vents. Those Pokémon had build towns at any place they can around those heat sources while farming animals for their meat and fur.

General arctic racial traits
All arctic races have the following racial trait.

Cold Endurance: Members of arctic races have a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of cold weather or exposure.

Non-natural desert Pokémon
The sea of sands, was once mighty oceans that spending as far as the eye can see. But now, they’re only a fragment of themselves. The sandy area is a deadly place where the howling winds grown ‘fangs’ to change a living into a pile of bones in a matter of hours. The land is very much unforgotten to anyone that didn’t pack well for this world. Water is the most desired things around; raiders had attacked traveling caravans for any goods.

General desert racial trait
All desert races gain the following racial trait.

Heat Endurance: Members of desert races gain a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of hot weather.

Non-natural jungle Races Pokémon
The deep jungle is where planets rule land, settlements are located up in the trees. The owners have to learn how to climb trees easily while bring up trees and allow travelers to stay in their rooms, for a cost. Some of the jungle folks learn how to make places in rivers to help myself stay away from the beasts that want to eat them, and make some money on the side, as well.

General jungle racial trait
All jungle races gain the following racial trait.

Monkey skills: The jungle Pokémon had learned how to get up trees faster and easy; getting a +4 to the Climb skill.

The following list will show a Pokémon type, standard feats that the type will normally have and their cousins’ feats.

A Super Effective attack gains a +2 Bonus to the Attack Roll and/or Save DC, and deals additional damage equal to the user's hit dice. These bonuses are Circumstance Bonuses, so it only applies once, even if using an (Ice) effect on a Flying Dragon.

A Not Very Effective attack takes a -2 Penalty to the Attack Roll and/or Save DC, and the damage is reduced by the target's hit dice. These penalties are Circumstance Penalties, so it only applies once, even if using an (Ice) effect on a Water Ice type.

If something would be both Super Effective and Not Very Effective to the same creature at the same time, simply cancel them both out.

Bug type/racial standard traits

Bug types standard feat/racial can be seen at many clothing stores; having the needed skills to craft many fine robes, gloves, socks and other wear. Some bug types had been seen on farms, helping out the farmers and the like, while some other bug types can be seen working in alchemy labs, working on more powerful poisons or ant-poison.

Bug type/racial standard traits:
+3 Craft (Armorsmithing) (for Anthro, otherwise, +1)
+3 Profession (herbalist) (for feral, otherwise, +1)
-1 Search
-2 Use Rope
+2 Constitution, -3 Dexterity

Bug Pokémon Traits: Rock, Flying, and Fire attacks are Super Effective, but Fighting, Ground, and Grass attacks are Not Very Effective. All Bug Pokémon have a basic mundane utility depending on the bug they resemble. Spider-like Pokémon can produce 1 lb of silk per HD per day, serviceable as rope or for making cloth items. Bee-, Moth-, or Butterfly-like Pokémon can pollinate plants and collect nectar, producing 1 gallon per HD per day if allowed to roam and do so for 8 hours. Figure your own **** out for others if it isn't stated outright.

Favored Class: A multiclassing Bug type's bard class does not count when determining whether they take an experience point penalty.

Aquatic Pokémon: Bug type
Flow like water: From the year of living in the water had gained them the skills to ride the flow of water, turning into a different steam at any minute easily, +2 Dexterity.
Fish don’t leave footprints: +3 Profession (fisher) replaces Profession (herbalist).

Desert Pokémon: Bug type
Well-Traveled: Aquatic Pokémon receive a +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive and Gather Information checks. They always know when their welcome is wearing out.
+2 racial bonuses to Survival checks: Arctic Bug type spends a great deal of time traveling different settlements, and is accustomed to surviving in the wilderness.
No racial bonus on Craft checks.

Jungle Pokémon: Bug type
+2 bonuses on Heal, Knowledge (nature), and Survival checks: Jungle Pokémon knows a great deal about what lives in the jungle, and are adept at finding it (or avoiding it, as the case may be).
Weapon Proficiency: Jungle Pokémon receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the throwing axes, handaxes, and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats. For jungle Pokémon, the axes are both a practical tool and a ceremonial item. They grow up using the other weapons for hunting and fishing.

rel
2016-10-19, 12:34 AM
This is relevant to my interests. I will wait for the link to the full text before comenting.

Rune Knight
2016-12-23, 10:14 PM
I won't say I wasn't disappointed when I realized this is likely for 3.5 instead of 5e, but I still like this. I thought that old internet saying, of someone has already done it somewhere, was about to be proven true. However, I still haven't found anyone making Pokémon playable races for 5e. So, I shall continue working on my own.