PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] In grim reality...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-11, 10:58 AM
Thestral

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/41/Thestral.jpg/250px-Thestral.jpg

Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 4d10+16 HD (38 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 100 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 dex, +5 natural, -1 size), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11
Attack: Hoof +6 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +6 melee (1d6+3) and bite +4 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Disease
Special Qualities: Carnal scent, cloak of death, darkvision 60 ft., grim vitality, low-light vision, resistance to negative energy 10, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +4
Feats: Endurance, Flyby Attack, Multiattack(B), Spirit Sense (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spirit_Sense,HH)(B)
Environment: Temperate Forest
Organization: Domesticated or herd (6–30)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

This appears as a horse in the final stages of starvation, each bone plainly seen through dark leathery skin stretches so tightly that it appears as if it were dipped in tar. Its head in particular is as a skull and bears a resemblance to a saurian or dragon's, complete with a snout of sharp predator's teeth. It has shining white eyes and a thick black mane that hangs long from its neck. From its back sprouts an enormous pair of membranous bat wings though they fold so tightly to the body they are not easily noticed.

Despite their ominous appearance Thestrals are not commonly seen. They are creatures with strong ties to death, though are not of themselves often killers. Thus they may only be seen by those who know death intimately. They tend to be scavengers, feeding off the remains of the dead, though are also known to have a taste for birds, especially those in their airspace. They do not attack larger creatures however unless provoked or threatened.

Thestrals weigh only around 800 lbs., though possess a grim strength that belies their appearance. They speak only their own language, though can be taught to understand others.

Combat
A thestral provoked or threatened into an attack tends to gallop at its attacker, trying to scare if off with blows of its hooves. If this is unaffective it lashes forward with its teeth, tearing chunks of flesh which it swallows as it battles. Often it will take to the air to swing past like a furious wraith.

Carnal Scent (Ex): A thestral can detect fresh blood or a corpse at twice the range of its normal scent.

Cloak of Death (Su): A thestral may only be seen by one who has witnessed the death of a loved one. To all others they are invisible as the spell. This ability is constant, allowing a thestral to remain invisible even when attacking. This ability is inherent and not subject to the invisibility purge spell.

Disease (Ex): Red ache—bite, Fortitude DC 16, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d6 Strength. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Grim Vitality (Ex): A thestral has a +4 resistance to disease, poison, and death affects.

-=-=-=-=-

Training A Thestral

A thestral requires training before it can bear a rider in combat. Training a thestral requires you to be able to see it, six weeks of work, and a DC 25 Handle Animal check. Riding a thestral requires an exotic saddle. A thestral can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

Thestral young are worth 3,500 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,500 gp to rear or train a thestral.

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a thestral is up to 258 pounds; a medium load, 259–519 pounds; and a heavy load, 520–780 pounds. A thestral can drag 3,900 pounds.

Jibar
2007-07-11, 11:08 AM
Somebody needs to lay off the Harry Potter, huh?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-11, 11:16 AM
Somebody needs to lay off the Harry Potter, huh?
Hardly.

I saw it last night and I almost always stat any interesting creatures I see in a movie.

mikeejimbo
2007-07-11, 11:18 AM
Harry Potter d20: It uses questionable logic and badly mangled Latin.

Jibar
2007-07-11, 11:33 AM
Hardly.

I saw it last night and I almost always stat any interesting creatures I see in a movie.

I know, I've read your other thread.
Is the Threstral the only new interesting monster then, or just the only one worth statting?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-11, 11:36 AM
s the Threstral the only new interesting monster then, or just the only one worth statting?
Pretty much, from my recollection.

Morty
2007-07-11, 01:01 PM
Cloak of Death (Su): A thestral may only be seen by one who has witnessed the death of a loved one. To all others they are invisible as the spell. This ability is constant, allowing a thestral to remain invisible even when attacking. This ability is inherent and not subject to the invisibility purge spell.

Loved one? I didn't see the movie, but if I remember the book correctly, witnessing any death was enough, you didn't have to love the person that had snuffed it.

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-11, 01:18 PM
Loved one? I didn't see the movie, but if I remember the book correctly, witnessing any death was enough, you didn't have to love the person that had snuffed it.

But from a mechanic perspective wouldn't some random goblin/kobold count as witnessing a death?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-11, 01:19 PM
Hrmmm, could be (never actually read the books). However, if that was the case then all adventurers would automatically be able to see it. Then again, in D&D what constitutes a 'person'? Your race? Shares your body type? Anything over animal intelligence? Just gets too confusing.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-11, 01:50 PM
Never the less, according to the novels, anyone who has witnessed AND comprehended the death of another person will see Thestrals. I would presume then, that in D&D terms it would exclude the death/destruction of any creature of the Animal, Construct, Elemental, Magical Beast, Ooze, Plant, Undead, Vermin types (unless, of course, the witness is a sentient member of any of the above types, in which case that type counts as well).

Aberrations, Dragons, Fey, & Outsiders are up in the air, but I would say that if you where of the core races, seeing a Giant, Humanoid, or Monstrous Humanoid die would qualify, regardless of personal relationship with the former being.

Morty
2007-07-11, 01:53 PM
Aberrations, Dragons, Fey, & Outsiders are up in the air, but I would say that if you where of the core races, seeing a Giant, Humanoid, or Monstrous Humanoid die would qualify, regardless of personal relationship with the former being.

Which would mean that all adventurers qualify anyway, since they kill some humanoids sooner or later, as others pointed out. And in medieval-like setting -even fantasy- death is much more common than in modern world. So yes, without "loved one" part this ability would be kind of pointless.

DracoDei
2007-07-11, 06:29 PM
Well, it would mean some of the NPCs couldn't see them... but yeah, I think the tweak is necessary...