PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Tool question

Isidorios
2016-10-17, 06:58 PM
I am incorporating a system into my low-magic game for mastercrafting weapons from rare materials with ranks of DC...

Mainly because one of the players is wanting to become a master Sword-smith (I use Expertise/+1 Stat as a Feat).

To get to the point (finally), what do all of you feel the Stat (or stats) should be that add a bonus to Weaponmith Tool rolls?
Unlike Healer's Kits or the like, there doesn't seem to be an obvious answer.

I'm leaning towards Wisdom over Intelligence or Strength, I'd like opinions.

Naanomi
2016-10-17, 11:20 PM
Frankly most tools could justify either Str or Dex, and Wis, and Int. They generally aren't too powerful anyways, I'd let the player decide for most tasks

RSP
2016-10-18, 03:43 AM
If a player is giving up an ASI to take expertise in weaponsmithing, I'd let them chose the stat they increase as it sounds like they're already sacrificing the other +1 for RP reasons, which I think should be rewarded. If sticking to something relevant to the tool/skill selected per your houserule, I'd go with either Str or Int.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-10-18, 04:05 AM
Straight out of the rules I would say Str for blacksmithing and Dex for goldsmithing. However, since this is a custom system, only you know what kind of processes the checks represent.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-18, 04:08 AM
For someone working a forge all day, I'd say the governing attribute is Constitution; if they're doing finely-detailed work, I'd say it's Dexterity. If they're trying to design a new or magical weapon, Intelligence is a factor; you could probably break that up into both design and construction phases.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-18, 04:16 AM
Since Dexterity is already a uber stat, i'd definitly go with Strenght.

Socratov
2016-10-18, 09:26 AM
For someone working a forge all day, I'd say the governing attribute is Constitution; if they're doing finely-detailed work, I'd say it's Dexterity. If they're trying to design a new or magical weapon, Intelligence is a factor; you could probably break that up into both design and construction phases.

to build on a previous detailing of how various stats interact with a tomato:

Str ismaking sure you can lift the hammer and strike a decent metal forming blow.
Dex is making sure strike the right spot at the right angle, etc.
Con is being able to swing that hammer all day to keep forming the base metal into an object
Int is knowing how to treat the metal to make it into a fine blde or strong hammer.
Wis is seeing when you can plunge the metal into oil or water to quench it
Cha is being able to sell it.

Bonus: for construction: int is knwoing you should construct a weapon out of multiple parts, wis is remembering to add a handle and to construct the weapon so that you don't kill yourself when wielding it.

My point: except for CHA you can take any stat and justify raising it through the mastery of weapon smithing. And even then, becoming a master gives confidence in your cratsmanship, so my vote would go to a +1 to a preferred stat, whichever s/he wants. Please note that dnd is an abstraction of a (sur)reality to make sure you don't get bogged down into details and get to tell a story. In reality making something requires about all of the abilities and in general, when you craft something, anything that you posses as a crafter (experience, knowledge, bodily aspects like strength, dexterity, etc.) all affect the outcome of your crafting process.

Naanomi
2016-10-18, 09:30 AM
From a narrative standpoint, smiths tend to be 'strong guys' not 'quick guys' in most portrayals, which is why I lean STR over DEX

georgie_leech
2016-10-18, 09:44 AM
Seems a decent time to point out that tool proficiency applies when it seems reasonable to the check, not that they necessarily take the same attribute each time. So as an off the cuff example, working for days to forge the best blade out of an exotic material, it might be a Constitution(weaponsmith) check, while adding incredible fillagree and inlays without compromising any strength might be a Dexterity(weaponsmith) check.

Unless your asking about what a general day at the forge might need, in which case I second Constitution. Hours of labour is really more of a question of endurance than raw Strength, even if a certain amount of baseline strength is needed (I have a hard time seeing the STR 8 wizard doing any forging regardless of CON).

Isidorios
2016-10-18, 10:21 AM
What I am saying is: When my campaign's Champion makes a roll to attempt a DC 25 Masterwork sword, (with assistance for Advantage) and rolls his Smithing skill (with double proficiency bonus for Expertise), what seems the most appropriate attribute to add in to successfully forge said Masterwork sword?

He's not bending it into shape; and I don't see where Ogres would necessarily make good Smiths. On the other hand Vulcan used giants to assist him.....I suppose one could use either STR or WIS.
I mean, I don't see Elven mastersmiths cranking out extraordinary longswords with their bulging biceps.

Naanomi
2016-10-18, 10:35 AM
Most fantasy blacksmiths are in fact bulging with muscles... but in any case I would again let them choose from a variety of stats, a few points isn't going to make the biggest difference in the world.

Also there are a variety of miscellaneous bonuses that he can seek out... a cleric can cast Guidance, a Bard can cheer him on, a Warlock and/or Sorcerer can twist fate to boost him, a Diviner can tell him when the stars align for that 'natural' 20. Forget that DC 25 check get up into the low 70s for some legendary craftsmanship!

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-18, 10:38 AM
I mean, I don't see Elven mastersmiths cranking out extraordinary longswords with their bulging biceps.

Judging by the runes on the pedestal, I'm guessing this elf grew up in a dwarven hold. Probably had a tough childhood, surrounded by drunken, bearded psychopaths; had to be strong to survive.
http://www.rpgnow.com/images/3367/145931.jpg

N810
2016-10-18, 12:56 PM
or just add the base proficiency number... as a bonus.