PDA

View Full Version : A couple of new magic items I designed

Spikes01k
2007-07-11, 11:55 AM
I came up with these two magic items. One, the luck charm item, is mostly for RP reasons, you can always just get a luck bonus using the normal rules in the DMG, but I broke it down so that you can have it at a temporary bonus from an item. The other, the Totem of Heroics, is a very nice item for those who like combat feats but just don't have think some of them are really worth a perminate feat due to limited usage, such as maybe great cleave. This item should allow you to still have that option the 1-3 times per day that you actually might get to use it.

Now these are my first two completely custom made items so I don't know the full mechanics of costs to make it in game, but I did get the costs to buy these items.
Use activated item that is usable B/day and lasts 2 rounds
AxAx125xB= gp buy value
Example: You want a luck AC item that grants you a +5 Luck bonus to AC in a pinch that works twice per day to meet your normal daily needs.
5x5x125x2=6250 gp

(swift) Command word item that is usable B/day and lasts 2 rounds
AxAx112.5xB= gp buy value
Example: You want a large bonus but not too worried about the silence spell. So you want it to give you +10 to AC saves once per day that lasts 2 rounds, and a command word activated.
10x10x112.5x1=11250 gp

Note: Non-slotted still costs double.
Each of these items grants you a single preset feat that it is created with. The feat must be from the fighter list, you must meet all the prerequisites, you can not meet the prerequisite feats in any way with another Totem or Heroics or the heroics spell. However you can use this item to qualify for a feat, prestige class, etc.

Sense you are required to meet the prerequisites for the feat, I strongly believe that the 10% discount should apply weather it is another feat or the use of a skill. All the prices listed include 10% off price. If the Feat has no prerequisites, then I suggest that the 10% off be removed, but I don't know a lot that don't. If the feat requires a skill use and other feats an additional 10% discount should also be imposed. If the feat requires a fighter level you should add another 30% discount, give the fighters a break! Unlike other magic items this item does not grant you the power with out meeting the prerequisites, thus it is cheaper.

Continual
2nd level spell, requires 3rd level spell caster, and is 10 min a level.
So that equates to about 16200 gp
Us Activated */day item that each use lasts 30 minutes should cost you
3240/day use.
Alternatively: 3 rounds per use/day
1080 gp/day use

On a command word item that lasts 30 minutes per each use/day
1944 gp per use/day

Note: Non-slotted still costs double.

Spikes01k
2007-07-12, 04:37 PM
So no one likes these item???

Zeta Kai
2007-07-12, 05:41 PM
Conceptually, they are both not bad. Not bad at all.

Mechanically, they are unfortunately incomprehensible. If I have time (a questionable scenario), I will attempt to assist you with a rewrite, in order to get them up to D&D standard.

Spikes01k
2007-07-12, 06:40 PM
Conceptually, they are both not bad. Not bad at all.

Mechanically, they are unfortunately incomprehensible. If I have time (a questionable scenario), I will attempt to assist you with a rewrite, in order to get them up to D&D standard.

Grant it I am new at making magic items for DnD, I think if I explain my mathematics for both very well.

A continual luck item for AC is this

(AxAx2500=F)
A=the AC bonus

The formula for a continual item is as follows
B=CxD
C= being the caster level
D= the level of the spell
Bx2000=F

so
Bx2000=AxAx2500

So if you want F to only last in rounds then divide by 4.
If you want it to only last 1 day then divide by 5 for 1 day

F/20

so we are looking at
AxAx2500/20=AxAx125/day for a rounds bases effect.

If you want to have the effect to be usuable 2 times a day double this base cost, if 3 times triple, etc.

I admit I don't know how long in rounds I should make it last or what spell gives a luck bonus to base it off of.

Mathematically the costs for a continual item effect is again
CxDx2000
A command word
CxDx1800
so you have 1800/2000=0.9
basically a 10% discount for being command word activated
grant it I took liberty for it being a swift action.

Command word comes out to
AxAx125x0.9=AxAx112.5

I will come back for the other one in a few.

Bitzeralisis
2007-07-12, 06:47 PM
.................. :smallconfused:
I'm not even going to try to decipher that. You might want to make a table of common AC Bonus/Uses combinations and their prices, to make things easier for people. Like the necklace of fireball. Make the names of the items bold. Use more of a D&D sounding format.

Spikes01k
2007-07-12, 06:55 PM
.................. :smallconfused:
I'm not even going to try to decipher that. You might want to make a table of common AC Bonus/Uses combinations and their prices, to make things easier for people. Like the necklace of fireball. Make the names of the items bold. Use more of a D&D sounding format.

Ok will do!

Spikes01k
2007-07-12, 08:48 PM
Grant it I am new at making magic items for DnD, I think if I explain my mathematics for both very well.

A continual luck item for AC is this

(AxAx2500=F)
A=the AC bonus

The formula for a continual item is as follows
B=CxD
C= being the caster level
D= the level of the spell
Bx2000=F

so
Bx2000=AxAx2500

So if you want F to only last in rounds then divide by 4.
If you want it to only last 1 day then divide by 5 for 1 day

F/20

so we are looking at
AxAx2500/20=AxAx125/day for a rounds bases effect.

If you want to have the effect to be usuable 2 times a day double this base cost, if 3 times triple, etc.

I admit I don't know how long in rounds I should make it last or what spell gives a luck bonus to base it off of.

Mathematically the costs for a continual item effect is again
CxDx2000
A command word
CxDx1800
so you have 1800/2000=0.9
basically a 10% discount for being command word activated
grant it I took liberty for it being a swift action.

Command word comes out to
AxAx125x0.9=AxAx112.5

I will come back for the other one in a few.

Basically what I am trying to say here is that if you look at the formulas that WoTC gives us for a luck base AC item you can also see it as a continual item by a logical standing. So you can logicaly apply the same rules as a continual use item.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-07-12, 11:15 PM
I'm still looking over your math, but I'd still like to ask a couple questions. What slot does the luck charm take up? Also, does any slot mean that the totem can be made into any item, such as a ring or an amulet?

Edit: Ok, now is the formula for the luck charm one you completely made up, or is it modified from the one in the DM's guide. Because if it's supposed to be from the DM's guide, then the cost should be X^2/(5/2). I'm still looking at the totem.

Spikes01k
2007-07-13, 07:03 AM
I'm still looking over your math, but I'd still like to ask a couple questions. What slot does the luck charm take up? Also, does any slot mean that the totem can be made into any item, such as a ring or an amulet?

Edit: Ok, now is the formula for the luck charm one you completely made up, or is it modified from the one in the DM's guide. Because if it's supposed to be from the DM's guide, then the cost should be X^2/(5/2). I'm still looking at the totem.

Ok the formula I got was simply modified from the DMG as per the rules in the DMG, the table 7-33 on pg 285
A luck AC item (the other type AC bonus) in the DMG is (X^2)(2500)=Y
Y= A continual luck item
A continual item for a DMG, just for fragrance now is
(A)(B)(2000)(C)=Z
Y=(Z)(C)

So all the things you can apply to Z can als apply to Y.
C= as per the rules in the DMG, the notes below table 7-33 on pg 285 "#2"
So to make the item "Y" last in turns by the rules divide by 4
Also to make the item Y usable 1 time per day divide by 5

So yo have (X^2)2500/4/5=(X^2)(125)
Basically your just taking the formula for luck AC and making it lasts only rounds and only usable one time per day.

Now also have command word items, to get the % diffrance I did this
Formula for a command word item/Formula for a continual item
(A)(B)(1800)/(A)(B)(2000)=(1800)/(2000)=0.9=10% discount, so I basically I applied this 10% discount to a command word item and got this
(X^2)(125)(0.9)=(X^2)(112.5)

So I didn't really make up my own formula, but I rather just applied the formulas they gave us in a different fashion.

Spikes01k
2007-07-13, 01:01 PM
As for the Totem of Heroics, I simply applied the rules for an item of the Heroics spell form the spell compendium. 2nd level spell that takes a 3rd level caster, that lasts 30 minutes per level of the spell caster. So really, unless I mess that up or missed something, it should be exactly by the rules from the DMG.

Spikes01k
2007-07-14, 09:16 PM
Sorry made a mistake writing up the formula, still worked, but just wasn't properly written.