PDA

View Full Version : 5th edition grappling questions that no one has dared to ask.

Battlebooze
2016-10-18, 06:03 AM
If you are grappling someone, would you have advantage casting touch spells like Chill Touch or Shocking grasp? You are touching them already...

If you are grappling a hostile Halfling or a Gnome, since you can move them around/lift/throw them, what kind of Improvised weapon stats would they provide? 1d4 blunt? And would they take the damage they inflict, or split it with the target?

If you were to use a friendly Halfling/Gnome monk as an improvised weapon, would they do more damage than a normal improvised weapon?

Could you count this as using the help action for them? Can you sneak attack with them, if they don't whine about it?

Could you toss them into the air so they could gain advantage by attacking from above?

Arkhios
2016-10-18, 06:10 AM
If you are grappling someone, would you have advantage casting touch spells like Chill Touch or Shocking grasp? You are touching them already...

I know this is rather nitpicky, but Chill Touch is a ranged spell attack, so you'd have disadvantage with it when making the ranged attack roll while within 5 ft of a hostile creature, which you are while grappling someone - unless that someone isn't hostile towards you.

Battlebooze
2016-10-18, 06:12 AM
I know this is rather nitpicky, but Chill Touch is a ranged spell attack, so you'd have disadvantage with it when making the ranged attack roll while within 5 ft of a hostile creature, which you are while grappling someone - unless that someone isn't hostile towards you.

Whoops, that was a bad example for that question. Yes, you're quite right about Chill touch.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-18, 06:38 AM
If you are grappling someone, would you have advantage casting touch spells like Chill Touch or Shocking grasp? You are touching them already...No advantage as grappling doesn't neccessarily mean you're touching them you could grapple someone by it's cloth or hair etc...

If you are grappling a hostile Halfling or a Gnome, since you can move them around/lift/throw them, what kind of Improvised weapon stats would they provide? 1d4 blunt? And would they take the damage they inflict, or split it with the target? Yes Moving a Grappled Creature is half speed unless you'd be large size since they're small.

If you were to use a friendly Halfling/Gnome monk as an improvised weapon, would they do more damage than a normal improvised weapon?No unless he wears a badass spiked armor :smallcool:

Could you count this as using the help action for them? Can you sneak attack with them, if they don't whine about it?You can't use an action to both use the Help action and the Attack action. You also can't use Sneak Attack with a creature since it's not a ranged or finesse weapon.

Could you toss them into the air so they could gain advantage by attacking from above?There's no advantage to attack from higher ground in this edition.

LordVonDerp
2016-10-18, 10:17 AM
No unless he wears a Ridiculous spiked armor :smallcool:

Fixed that for you.

Joe the Rat
2016-10-18, 10:51 AM
If you were to use a friendly Halfling/Gnome monk as an improvised weapon, would they do more damage than a normal improvised weapon?

No unless he wears a badass spiked armor :smallcool:

Mmmm... Halfling Battlerager.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-18, 10:54 AM
Mmmm... Halfling Battlerager.Called Pic-Pic Porcupine :smallbiggrin:

Battlebooze
2016-10-18, 01:38 PM
No advantage as grappling doesn't neccessarily mean you're touching them you could grapple someone by it's cloth or hair etc...
There is no specific listed requirement that you have to hit "FLESH" with a spell to do damage. I can see it now, "No that spell didn't work because it hit my long luxurious hair that I've got draped over my body!"

You can't use an action to both use the Help action and the Attack action. You also can't use Sneak Attack with a creature since it's not a ranged or finesse weapon. AhA! But a thrown Halfling or Gnome would work! Since they would be a ranged attack. Also, considering they get +2 to dexterity at creation, I think claiming a Halfling as a finesse weapon is RAII (Reading as I Intended)

Mellack
2016-10-18, 02:45 PM
There is no specific listed requirement that you have to hit "FLESH" with a spell to do damage. I can see it now, "No that spell didn't work because it hit my long luxurious hair that I've got draped over my body!"

There is an implied need to hit flesh modeled by the attack roll. Note there is not touch AC like old editions, so that means that armor works against being touched.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-18, 02:47 PM
There is no specific listed requirement that you have to hit "FLESH" with a spell to do damage. I can see it now, "No that spell didn't work because it hit my long luxurious hair that I've got draped over my body!"It doesn't matter since being grappled doesn't grant advantage to attackers.

AhA! But a thrown Halfling or Gnome would work! Since they would be a ranged attack. Also, considering they get +2 to dexterity at creation, I think claiming a Halfling as a finesse weapon is RAII (Reading as I Intended)Sneak Attack requires a finesse or ranged weapon, not ranged attack.

I think Halfling may be thrown, light and finesse only if used by proficient dwarf :smallsmile:

JackPhoenix
2016-10-18, 03:46 PM

No, you're touching them with the wrong hand, you can't use the same hand to hold a grappled creature and cast a spell

Aembrosia
2016-10-18, 04:03 PM
The net is listed under ranged weapons. We can we sharpshooter and sneak attack with a net, right? It has all the RAW prereqs. riiiigghhhttt?

Coffee_Dragon
2016-10-18, 05:34 PM
I think the ease of reaching while wrestling might be more than canceled out by the difficulty of tracing exact arcane patterns while wrestling.

Maxilian
2016-10-19, 03:14 PM

No.

If you are grappling a hostile Halfling or a Gnome, since you can move them around/lift/throw them, what kind of Improvised weapon stats would they provide? 1d4 blunt? And would they take the damage they inflict, or split it with the target?

a 1d4 for damage, and they may take the 1d4 too.

They are not attacking, they are being used as a weapon (an improvised one) so 1d4

Could you count this as using the help action for them? Can you sneak attack with them, if they don't whine about it?

It wouldn't count as help (they won't get adv) but if you're grabbing them, then you will have the option to Sneak Attack as long as you're using an appropiate weapon.

Could you toss them into the air so they could gain advantage by attacking from above?

Unlikely, the other person will have, to at leat, make a Dex save to try to take some type of stance in the air to actually make advantage of this, either way, they are going to take falling damage.

Maxilian
2016-10-19, 03:16 PM
AhA! But a thrown Halfling or Gnome would work! Since they would be a ranged attack. Also, considering they get +2 to dexterity at creation, I think claiming a Halfling as a finesse weapon is RAII (Reading as I Intended)

Its a Ranged attack, but not a Ranged Weapon Attack, so no Sneak Attack for you