PDA

View Full Version : Is there a downward equivalent to versatile spellcaster?

Falcii
2016-10-18, 10:06 AM
Versatile spellcaster allows you to trade two spell slots for one of a single level higher. This is super great for using those 0th level spells that often go forgotten. What I wonder is if there is an equivalent that works downward, where trading a 4th level would give you two 3rd level spells. Third level spells are awesome and I want more of them lol.

Afgncaap5
2016-10-18, 10:13 AM
Versatile spellcaster allows you to trade two spell slots for one of a single level higher. This is super great for using those 0th level spells that often go forgotten. What I wonder is if there is an equivalent that works downward, where trading a 4th level would give you two 3rd level spells. Third level spells are awesome and I want more of them lol.

I don't know of any off the top of my head, but I feel like there's one that I'm forgetting about. Maybe I'm just imagining it, though.

Have you tried just casting a third level spell in a fourth level spell slot? Or is the emphasis more on getting two for one rather than just straight up getting more?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-18, 10:17 AM
You'll want a wand of http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mnemonicEnhancer.htm

Afgncaap5
2016-10-18, 10:55 AM

That's a handy spell, though I don't know if it'd be viable here. Versatile Spellcaster is generally meant for spontaneous casters, while Mnemonic Enhancer is limited to Wizards, I think.

Having said that... an Ultimate Magus might be able to have some fun by combining the two. Or possibly a Wizard/Favored Soul/Mystic Theurge.

MisterKaws
2016-10-18, 11:00 AM
Great/Arcane Fusion?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-18, 11:12 AM
Power points and spell points do this easily, since they're nicely modular and can be expended on the fly.

Zaq
2016-10-18, 01:39 PM
Arcane Manipulation, from Lost Empires of Faerun, kind of does this, though I admit that it doesn't do it very well. It only works for Wizards (okay, technically, it requires a level of Wizard, only works on arcane spell slots, and applies its benefit "when preparing spells," so I guess a spontaneous arcane caster with Arcane Preparation and a dip in Wizard might technically be able to use it?), but you just get a total of N spell levels. So you can break a 4th level slot into a 3rd level slot and a 1st level slot, not two 3rd level slots. And you can only break up three slots. (I guess you might be able to circumvent the three slot restriction by leaving some slots unfilled at the start of the day and preparing spells multiple times per day, but that's sketchy.)

Still, it's about as close as you're likely to find without delving into alternate rule systems, I suppose.

Falcii
2016-10-18, 03:04 PM
For clarity, this is for a Beguiler build and I have heighten spell so casting a low spell at a higher slot is easy. I'm more focused on getting 2 for 1. Given that most 7th level Beguiler spells suck, it would be awesome to turn them into 6th or lower en masse.

Zaq
2016-10-18, 03:26 PM
For clarity, this is for a Beguiler build and I have heighten spell so casting a low spell at a higher slot is easy. I'm more focused on getting 2 for 1. Given that most 7th level Beguiler spells suck, it would be awesome to turn them into 6th or lower en masse.

There isn't going to be a simple way of getting a true two-for-one deal, at least not with material that I'm familiar with. The best you're likely to get is "turn a level N spell into N semi-fungible spell levels," like what I described with Arcane Manipulation. Or, now that I think about it, with Mage of the Arcane Order.

Mage of the Arcane Order (which requires Arcane Preparation for a Beguiler, thereby becoming kind of less useful) can let you use higher spell slots to pay off combined spell debt from lower spells, but it takes a handful of feats and levels to get access to the good stuff, and this sounds like a character who already exists (and who therefore might be harder to change), no?

In the vein of Mnemonic Enhancer or Mage's Lucubration, there's Triadspell, a 5th level spell in the Spell Compendium that lets you pay a 5th level slot to cast a prepared 3rd level spell two additional times. But it's Cleric-only (minus shenanigans, and I don't know of any easy shenanigans to use in this case), it doesn't quite play nicely with the spell levels you have in mind, and it only applies to prepared spells. But it might be a jumping-off point.

Again, you'd need access to Arcane Preparation (and you'd have to actually prepare spells, which is a drag at the best of times as far as a Beguiler is concerned), but you might look at the Echoing Spell metamagic from Secrets of Xen'drik? It's a +3 metamagic that has a prepared spell re-prepare itself in your mind an hour after you cast it, but at a reduced CL, and this keeps happening until the modified CL is too low to cast the spell in question. So you can basically (without metamagic reduction) turn a 7th level slot into a 4th level spell that you can use probably about two or three times (depending on your actual CL and what boosters/mods you have), assuming that you're okay with a reduced CL. Seems like a lot of work for not a ton of payoff, but it's something.

If the problem is that you don't like your own 7th level options, you could always try to get a runestaff with good 7th level spells on it and then cast your 7th level slots as better 7th level spells. That's a different question than what you asked, but you never know.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-18, 03:30 PM
For clarity, this is for a Beguiler build and I have heighten spell so casting a low spell at a higher slot is easy. I'm more focused on getting 2 for 1. Given that most 7th level Beguiler spells suck, it would be awesome to turn them into 6th or lower en masse.Grab enough metamagic reducers to turn various metamagics into +0 level adjustments, and take Extra Spell (Mnemonic Enhancer), Twin Spell and Repeat Spell, and so on, and use one 4th level spell slot to give you at least four 3rd level spells. Needs a lot of feats, though. Or use the item combination rules in the MIC to make or buy a metamagic rod with Twin, Repeat, etc. So long as it's only one rod, you can use as many metamagic feats from it as you can stack on.

Alternatively, Sanctum Spell to continually cast arcane fusion over and over and over, so long as you can whittle the casting time of mnemonic enhancer down to a standard action.

flamewolf393
2016-10-18, 07:15 PM

Or he could just make a headband that casts it at will for only 15k-ish, or at will as a free action for 50k. Then he has infinite spell recall.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-31, 08:44 PM
It's a bit of an oddball way to do it, and it's expensive, but go look up the spell energy transformation field, in the Spell Compendium.