PDA

View Full Version : Um...

Fax Celestis
2007-07-11, 12:26 PM
Isn't this wrong? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070711a)

Gralamin
2007-07-11, 12:32 PM
The Full quote is thus:

All creatures with psi-like abilities are assigned a manifester level, which indicates how difficult it is to dispel their psi-like effects and determines all level-dependent variables (such as range or duration) the abilities might have. When a creature uses a psi-like ability, the power is manifested as if the creature had spent a number of power points equal to its manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the creature does not actually spend power points for its psi-like abilities, even if it has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability.
Looks to me only damage and Save DC can be increased by a creatures manifester level.

Fixer
2007-07-11, 12:36 PM
That's not a full quote: THIS is a full quote.

PSI-LIKE ABILITIES
Most psionic monsters have some number of psi-like abilities. These are very similar to spell-like abilities. Naturally, they are psionic and work just like powers or spells. A creature with psi-like abilities does not pay for these abilities with power points and does not pay any XP cost associated with manifesting the power the ability duplicates.
Psi-like abilities do not work in a null psionics field and are subject to power resistance if the power or spell the ability duplicates would be subject to power resistance. A psi-like ability usually has a limit on how often it can be used. A psi-like ability that can be used at will has no use limit. Using a psi-like ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity. It is possible to make a Concentration check to use a psi-like ability defensively and avoid provoking attacks of opportunity, just as when using a power or casting a spell. A psi-like ability can be interrupted just as a spell can be. Psi-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled.
All creatures with psi-like abilities are assigned a manifester level, which indicates how difficult it is to dispel their psi-like effects and determines all level-dependent variables (such as range or duration) the abilities might have. When a creature uses a psi-like ability, the power is manifested as if the creature had spent a number of power points equal to its manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the creature does not actually spend power points for its psi-like abilities, even if it has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability.
The DC of a saving throw (if applicable) against a creature’s psi-like ability is 10 + the level of the power or spell the ability duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier. Remember to check the power’s Augment entry to see if the creature’s manifester level (and thus the effective power point expenditure) increases the DC of the saving throw. Changes to the effect’s save DC, damage, and so on are noted in the psi-like ability entry.

So, they are right.

In addition, if the creature takes levels in a class that grants manifester levels, the 'virtual power points' they would be considered to use in their psi-like abilities also goes up.

Jasdoif
2007-07-11, 12:37 PM
Psi-like abilities have a listed manifester level, just like spell-like abilities have a listed caster level. I believe that's saying that if the listed manifester level is higher then the minimum the power requires, it can be augmented with the "excess" manifester levels.

The psionic aboleth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/abolethPsionic.htm), for instance, has a number of psi-like abilities marked as "Includes augmentation for the aboleth’s manifester level". False sensory input, for instance, is augmented to affect more targets.

Starsinger
2007-07-11, 12:38 PM
After reading my Expanded Psionics Handbook, just for you, Fax, :smalltongue: I've yet to find anywhere that says "No, a creature with psy-like abilities and power points cannot augment their powers." However I've yet to find something that says you can, other than the fact that you can with limits, use meta-spell like ability feats on them.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-11, 12:44 PM
The quotes provided were what I was thinking of. Guess I just misinterpreted what they meant. Never mind. Move along, nothing to see here.