PDA

View Full Version : If you could make a golem out of one thing....

NecroDancer
2016-10-18, 04:42 PM
If you could build a golem using one material what would it by and why?

I'd make mine out of liquid metal (think Terminator T-1000 only more semi-solid and it always looks chrome). Not only would it be great for infiltration (squeezing through cracks) but it would be just as deadly if a fight started.

It would probably have some way to launch "bullets" at its foes.

Braininthejar2
2016-10-18, 06:11 PM
Ball bearings - It could move and fight like an ordinary golem, roll for increased speed, or shoot things by launching salvos of balls out of its body before sweeping over the area to pull itself back together.

Quertus
2016-10-18, 06:20 PM
Well, my favorite most powerful was probably the planar boundary golem. One of my characters found a tower built out of sculpted planar boundary. He researched it, and later built a golem out of the indestructible material.

Actually, I take that back - the most powerful was much like your liquid metal golem, but not for the same reason. It was largely because it could split. Part of it maintained contact with an artifact, while part of it pretended to be a ring on my character's finger. This enabled my character to get certain of the artifacts' benefits, while keeping said artifact somewhere safe.

But as to what I'd want? Depends on the character. Personally? Probably video games. :smalltongue: Although a golem made out of the crushed hopes and dreams of my enemies would be nice, too.

root
2016-10-18, 06:25 PM
Why not a golem golem?

Every time someone hits it strong enough, a progressively smaller golem separates.

Now that I think about it, some kind of an ooze golem would be interesting to say the least. All the qualities of an ooze attached to a mechanical creature that, while not sentient, follows commands with robotic precision.

Kane0
2016-10-18, 06:33 PM
Mithantine alloy. Strong and durable like adamantine, flexible amd light like mithril

Vitruviansquid
2016-10-18, 06:47 PM
Could I build a golem out of pure existential horror?

Because that's what I want my opponents to be confronted with as often as possible.

SethoMarkus
2016-10-18, 06:57 PM
Flubber. A golem made of flubber, I think, would be unstoppable (and fun!).

Zaydos
2016-10-18, 06:59 PM
Gods. I want a deific flesh golem. I know where to find the bodies :xykon:

The Glyphstone
2016-10-18, 07:13 PM
Cotton candy. Guard and tasty snack in one package.

root
2016-10-18, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a statblock for a pizza golem somewhere...

Beleriphon
2016-10-18, 07:32 PM
Plutonium golem for that glow in the dark win.

Fable Wright
2016-10-18, 07:55 PM
Possibility 1: Dreamstuff golem. Specifically, made from your dreams. You dream it, the golem becomes it, logic and geometry be damned. Remember to watch horror movies and/or take ranks in lucid dreaming for maximum effect.

Possibility 2: Protomatter golem. Change its composition with shaping efforts!

Possibility 3: Relativistic metal golem. In other words, riverine containing an entity with enough kinetic energy inside it to bring Armageddon to anyone who manages to breach its outer layer.

Strigon
2016-10-18, 08:35 PM
Possibility 1: Dreamstuff golem. Specifically, made from your dreams. You dream it, the golem becomes it, logic and geometry be damned. Remember to watch horror movies and/or take ranks in lucid dreaming for maximum effect.

Now why does that sound familiar...? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-sALU_hveA) (Warning: Mature Language)

In any case, I'd make it out of the stuff the One Ring was made of.
You think it's tough getting a ring to Mound Doom? Try getting a 10 foot tall behemoth that's ripping your arms off there

Alent
2016-10-18, 08:43 PM
Yellow magic clay sphere things (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD4dXOMVYaM). :smallamused:

Segev
2016-10-18, 09:09 PM
How about Beholder Eyes?

MrZJunior
2016-10-18, 09:34 PM
I would go with planetary bodies. If those work out you can work your way up to controlling entire galaxies as golems.

The Glyphstone
2016-10-18, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a statblock for a pizza golem somewhere...

A oneshot adventure for D&D3.5 had a calzone golem, but that's it.

Talakeal
2016-10-18, 09:40 PM
I put a golem made out of light in the last campaign I ran. The PCs were not amused...

Verbannon
2016-10-18, 09:52 PM
Sugar, Spice, Everything Nice and Chemical X. :p

Kitten Champion
2016-10-18, 10:20 PM
A golem composed entirely of sick beats. Just sapient sound which follows you around, serving as your living soundtrack.

5ColouredWalker
2016-10-18, 10:31 PM
Orbs of Annihilation, for when one needs to kill the wizard AND the fighter.

GorinichSerpant
2016-10-18, 10:42 PM
I would make a golem out of desire simply to see what that would do, I'd also attempt to make one out of rationality or thought for similar reasons.

Doomboy911
2016-10-18, 10:45 PM
Baby golem, let's see the paladin fight it.

Marillion
2016-10-18, 11:45 PM
Toenail clippings.

Not just any toenail clippings, either. Only the finest thick yellow specimens that you need a cleaver to trim and are covered in putrid fungus. The ones that become impossibly sharp when you cut them. Tougher than adamantine, natural weapons more keen than obsidian, and it forces Constitution, Will, and possibly Sanity checks out the wazoo.

The strongest? No. The easiest to assemble? No. Pleasant to have near? Not even a little bit! But who among us could gird our loins and our stomachs long enough to face such a foul construction?

And it's fellow guardian? A golem made of damp hair collected from shower drains across the land.

the OOD
2016-10-19, 12:17 AM
C4/enhanced plastic explosives. carrying enough explosives for a mission was a big problem before our caster learned golemcraft.

other smash-hits by the same caster include the Paper-Crane Golem, Knife Golem and the dreaded Bee Golem.
discussion of a bullet-golem was tabled when we got a bag of holding(fill it with a belt for an LMG, and never reload again) but that might get used at some point.
a Paperwork Golem, Crap Golem and several Teddy-Bear Golems have also appeared.

but ultimately, nothing beats the Enhanced Plastic Explosive golem.

Melville's Book
2016-10-19, 12:46 AM
Depends on if I can break the golem back down into its consituent parts or not.

If I can, I'd probably just want one made out of players who like all of the systems I want to GM. :smalltongue:

Failing that, I'll take one made out of dioxygen difluoride mixed with hydrogen fluoride. It explodes out violently onto my enemies, at which point they catch on fire and all their organic tissue dissolves starting with their lungs and corneas.

Or getting more metaphysical, I'd take a golem made of pure good looks... Oh wait, I just described myself. *hair flip*

Cluedrew
2016-10-19, 07:31 AM
I would go for the traditional clay. Few side effects and still strong enough for all common uses. Might not hold up in combat as well but I don't get into that many fights.

Anderlith
2016-10-23, 12:56 AM
Solar Golem, grossly incandesent.

Or Shadow Golem

Or, a golem made from refined solid state magic
Sorcery Golem

Quertus
2016-10-23, 11:46 AM
Gods. I want a deific flesh golem. I know where to find the bodies :xykon:

That one's cool... until the dead god comes back to life. :smalleek:

The problem with harvesting your own dreams is that, then, you no longer have your dreams. Clearly, this is a job for Mind Rape. Give someone else identical dreams, and harvest those.

In any case, I'd make it out of the stuff the One Ring was made of.
You think it's tough getting a ring to Mound Doom? Try getting a 10 foot tall behemoth that's ripping your arms off there

I think the One Ring was only difficult to destroy because of the setting. I mean, even a lowly dragon could have melted the thing - pity they just killed off the last one right before they needed it.

So, although yours is undeniably cooler, and likely has way better powers, I'll stick with my planar boundary golem for durability.

Zaydos
2016-10-23, 11:55 AM

I don't make it from an FR god, few others go popping back and forth... also it's questionable what happens to the astral plane corpses when that happens, as no githyanki cities have been reported as destroyed that way. Also remember flesh golems are made out of 5 or 6 different people. You can't make 'em with just one :xykon:

Though in more seriousness. THAT'S PART OF THE BEAUTY OF IT. EITHER THE REVIVAL OF A GOD REQUIRES THE REUNIFICATION OF BODY AND SOUL AND I HAVE MADE THAT MORE DIFFICULT FOR NOT 1 BUT 5 OF MY ENEMIES, OR IT DOES NOT AND I NOW HAVE WHAT IS PROBABLY THE BEST WEAPON WITH WHICH TO FIGHT THE NEWLY REVIVED GOD, ITS OWN LEFT HAND!!!!!

I think the One Ring was only difficult to destroy because of the setting. I mean, even a lowly dragon could have melted the thing - pity they just killed off the last one right before they needed it.

The one ring was made of simple gold. What gave it its durability was its enchantment and the investiture within it of a large part of Sauron's very being/soul. So either you're making it out of a solar's essence, or you're making it out of gold, both of which are pretty easy to destroy in 3.5.

So, although yours is undeniably cooler, and likely has way better powers, I'll stick with my planar boundary golem for durability.

Where as this is only difficult to destroy because of setting in that default planar cosmology for D&D doesn't have physical planar boundaries (the planes are infinite or permeate into each other). The closest is the material of Crystal Spheres from 2e Spelljammer which divide Primes from each other (and the Rainbow Sea), and which is... indestructible, though there were creatures said to be made from it and they could be hurt and killed. Still pretty resilient stuff.

Help there's a
2016-10-23, 12:01 PM
Acid goop golem. Might sound weird, but wait. When it's damaged, it starts leaking goop-and it explodes when destroyed. And if you stab/bash it, the acid starts eating away at your weapon! Put it in a room filled with treasure and watch the reactions when it melts away 234,097,803,672 GP over the course of the fight! Mwa ha ha!

Kami2awa
2016-10-23, 01:10 PM
In a modern setting, a barbed wire golem. Because that would be utterly terrifying.

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-23, 01:36 PM
Cotton candy. Guard and tasty snack in one package.

I have in my possesion, a copy of The Pleasure Prision of the B'thuvian Demon Whore. A 3rd party adventure. One of the creatures in it is a confection golem.

Now, if i could have my own golem, I think Id want either one made of animated legos, or smaller golems.

I may go book diving through my 3rd party stuff later and see what golems I can find.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-23, 02:24 PM
Voidstone - must be a flying golem, else it'll disintegrate a hole through the planet.

Glassteel - hard as adamantine, light as mithral, see-through like glass.

Living spells - not so much for the body, but as substitute for the elemental that animates a typical golem.

EvilCookie
2016-10-23, 07:50 PM
Existential dread golem - not that hard to defeat, but what's the point?

Coidzor
2016-10-23, 08:01 PM
Potions. Be sorta like a living spell meets a water elemental meets potion mixing rules and wild magic.

JAL_1138
2016-10-23, 08:10 PM
Pun-Pun. Alternatively, the Lady of Pain. Or perhaps Big Bang singularities--hypercompressed universes--although it would be much weaker than the first two.

sengmeng
2016-10-23, 08:31 PM
Poop golem with improved grapple. Named Huggles.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-23, 08:38 PM
Boogers.

Every kind imaginable, eye boogers too.

edit: possibly could team up with poop golem...but outside the dungeon...please.

Lord Raziere
2016-10-23, 09:05 PM
Player Plan Golem: when the players use a strange and unconventional plan upon it, it only gets stronger.

Pain Golem: Attacking with anything heals it.

Black Hole Golem: Don't touch it.

Immovable Rod Golem: Just for fun.

Portal Golem: to troll people with

Vacuum Golem: Your literally being attacked by nothing at all.

Dead Kender Golem: Finally, they're useful for something!

quinron
2016-10-23, 10:46 PM
Ink golem - specifically the special inks that wizards have to use to copy spells. Just tell one to prioritize getting a hand in the backpack of the guy throwing fire around; even if the wizard's still a problem today, you can guarantee he won't be tomorrow. Best part is, even if the wizard's dealt with, you've still got yourself what's basically an extra-viscous water elemental. They're also useful for espionage and sabotage - just send one of these slippery buggers after the records and tell it to have fun.

Batou1976
2016-10-24, 03:58 AM
Spam. I would make it out of Spam. :smallsmile:

Professor Chimp
2016-10-24, 07:43 AM
An inflatable balloon golem you can attach all kinds of armor pieces to. In short, pretty much Baymax.

Belac93
2016-10-24, 09:25 AM
Tarresque golem. :smallbiggrin:

GAAD
2016-10-25, 10:22 PM
Farankal, Archmage of the Winter Court's answer: UNIVERSE GOLEMS!!!

There is no longer a Winter Court in my setting.

Dragonexx
2016-10-25, 11:43 PM
I choose my mist golem.

Mist Golem
http://s26.postimg.org/xpvbqf8yh/mist_elemental_by_hazgarn_d68yimc.png
Size/Type: Huge Construct (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Book_of_Gears_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/Created_Monsters#Constructs:_Durability_at_a_Price ) (Air, Water)
Hit Dice: 12d10+40 (160 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: Fly 100ft.
Armor Class: 28 (+5 dex, +15 natural, -2 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+34
Attack: Slam +24 (4d6+15)
Full Attack: Slam +24 (4d6+15)
Space/Reach: Varies (see below)
Special Attacks: Engulf, Internal Destruction,
Special Qualities: Vapor Form, Immunity to Magic, DR10/-
Saves: Fort +4 Reflex +9 Will +4
Abilities: Str 44 Dex 20 Con - Int - Wis 10 Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: N/A
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: N/A
Level Adjustment: -

The fog, which you initially payed little attention to, begins to swirl and roil rapidly. Looking at it curiously, you see it form into the vague shape of a fist. Before you can react, the fog-fist punches you in the face, sending you sprawling to the ground. The fog is alive!

Mist Golems are a curious type of construct, shaped from fog to be a silent killer. Many a mist golem hides in natural fog, keeping their target unaware of their presence.

Combat:

Disguise: A mist golem can appear to be a normal patch of fog, or even a fog spell, it takes a DC25 Spot check to notice the ruse.

Extrodinary Health: A mist golem recieves maximum HP per HD.

Living Cloud (Ex): A mist golem is a living (sorta) cloud of fog. It can fill an area anywhere from 20-80 feet worth of squares, shaped as desired. Creatures in this area are treated as if they were in a Fog Cloud, though if the Cloud Golem wishes, it can selectivly make parts of it's body behave like Solid Fog. The Mist Golem automatically succeeds on attacks against creatures within the area of it's fog. Otherwise, the Mist Golem is treated as if it were in Gaseous Form.

Engulf: Against a creature within it's area the Mist Golem can create fog so thick that it entraps the victim. The Mist Golem can make a grapple check against a creature within it's area. If it succeeds, it can constrict, dealing 10d6 bludgeoning damage against that creature. Additionally, it may freely move creatures it has pinned or are willing anywhere within it's area.

Internal Destruction: (Ex): The Mist Golems vapors can be inhaled by creatures within it's area. The golem still retains control over them, and uses them to tear apart opponents from the inside. If the mist golem wishes, any number of creatures in it's area take 2 Con damage per round. Creatures can hold their breath against this, but as a standard action, the Golem can attempt to force it's way through any creatures airways (Fort DC22 negates, save DC is Con based with a +6 racial bonus).

See Through Clouds (Ex): The Mist Golem can see through smoke, steam, mist, clouds, and fog as if they weren't there. It also possesses all around vision.

Immunity to Magic: A Mist Golem is immune to any Spell, Spell-Like Ability, or Effect that allows Spell Resistance. However, certain spells affect it differently.

A Mist Golem is unaffected by fogs and clouds (Stinking Cloud, Cloudkill, Incendiary Cloud, Solid Fog, ect) Additionally, when within the area of these effects (or natural fog, smoke, or clouds) it gains fast healing 10.

An effect that produces winds of at least Severe strength deals 1d6 damage per 2 caster levels (or CR of the user if there is no caster level). The Mist Golem is not affected by natural winds short of Tornado strength, which deal 10d6 damage per round.

Construction
A Mist Golem is crafted from a permanent solid fog, requiring magical ingredients and rituals worth 12000 gp.
CL14th. Craft Construct, Solid Fog, Animate Objects, Permanancy. Creator must be at least 14th level.

ComradeBear
2016-10-26, 08:18 AM
The answer is simple and we're all coming close but overlooking it.

You must make your Golem from Velveeta: the cheese that cannot die.

Soft, malleable solid when cool. Perfect for squashing folks and getting them stuck in its suffocating, bright-yellow mass.

When hot, turns into a sticky ooze that is even more difficult to fight.

And if they try to eat it? My friends, Velveeta does not die. It does not digest. It is cheese-flavored plastic. It simply fights you from within!

Muahahahah!

JAL_1138
2016-10-26, 08:36 AM
If you need to wreak havoc on the local wizard school, make the golem out of housecats.

sengmeng
2016-10-26, 09:08 AM
I think it's been done, but if so, I'm seconding it: Coin golem. Looks like a pile of treasure at rest. Your hoard protects itself!

GungHo
2016-10-26, 09:16 AM
Spam. I would make it out of Spam. :smallsmile:

The barbarian will rue the day he decided he wanted to go shirtless when adventuring with Ignacio the Igniter.

Strigon
2016-10-26, 09:44 AM
I think it's been done, but if so, I'm seconding it: Coin golem. Looks like a pile of treasure at rest. Your hoard protects itself!

For added fun, throw one of these at a party once they've been hit by a few mimics.
They spend an hour poking and prodding the chest, finally open it once they're satisfied it's inanimate, and then the treasure attacks them.
Evil.

Also, going back to the last page, a dragon could've melted The One Ring? Seriously?
I mean, I get LotR has about a million levels of power, and on the grand scheme of things Sauron isn't in the top tier, but I figured for sure he'd be able to wreck a dragon.

JAL_1138
2016-10-26, 10:38 AM
Also, going back to the last page, a dragon could've melted The One Ring? Seriously?
I mean, I get LotR has about a million levels of power, and on the grand scheme of things Sauron isn't in the top tier, but I figured for sure he'd be able to wreck a dragon.

You'd be correct. Tolkien specifically said dragonfire couldn't harm the One Ring.
It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, for it was made by Sauron himself.

Ancalagon the Black was described as the strongest dragon Morgoth ever created, so if he couldn't harm it, none of them could. Several of the Seven, the rings gifted to the Dwarves, were supposedly destroyed by dragons, though, and Sauron recovered the few that remained.

Zaydos
2016-10-26, 10:49 AM
You'd be correct. Tolkien specifically said dragonfire couldn't harm the One Ring.

Ancalagon the Black was described as the strongest dragon Morgoth ever created, so if he couldn't harm it, none of them could. Several of the Seven, the rings gifted to the Dwarves, were supposedly destroyed by dragons, though, and Sauron recovered the few that remained.

The way I remember the specific line was 'lost to dragons' which could just mean the dragon had no desire for its magical powers and kept it in its hoard.

JAL_1138
2016-10-26, 10:58 AM
The way I remember the specific line was 'lost to dragons' which could just mean the dragon had no desire for its magical powers and kept it in its hoard.

It seemed pretty clear to me they were destroyed outright, not buried in a hoard.

"Seven the dwarf-kings possessed, but three he has recovered, and the others dragons have consumed. [...] So it is now: the Nine he has gathered to himself; the Seven also, or else they are destroyed." [emphasis added]

Strigon
2016-10-26, 01:30 PM

And the whole world makes sense again. In your honour, I propose a Decanter of Endless Water golem that spews hundreds of gallons constantly, turning any dungeon it inhabits into an underwater adventure!

JAL_1138
2016-10-26, 01:47 PM
And the whole world makes sense again. In your honour, I propose a Decanter of Endless Water golem that spews hundreds of gallons constantly, turning any dungeon it inhabits into an underwater adventure!

OH GOD NO *runs away screaming*

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/thefutureofeuropes/images/8/8e/Nope.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140520210156

Hawkstar
2016-10-26, 01:58 PM

The problem with harvesting your own dreams is that, then, you no longer have your dreams. Clearly, this is a job for Mind Rape. Give someone else identical dreams, and harvest those.

So, although yours is undeniably cooler, and likely has way better powers, I'll stick with my planar boundary golem for durability.Too be fair, I think Saruman may have been onto something with the one ring. We only really have Gandalf's word that he was actually evil - How do we know that it was not actually Gandalf who was the traitor? Gandalf sent Hobbits, protected by races corrupted by the rings of power, to march the ring into Mordor. Sarumon built furnaces far from Sauron's grasp, and created a race untouched by Sauron and the Ring's corruption to fight against the forces of Darkness (Though they did have an uncanny resemblance to Orcs - But that could simply be a result of imperfect creation, not inherent evilness.)

On topic - Forget these stupidly-overpowered golems that will kill you when they go insane and turn on you (Or have another wizard wrest your control away). I want a stained glass golem. Hard, and pretty to look at.

dascarletm
2016-10-26, 02:44 PM
Oh man a golem made out of anything? Wow so many choices.

Gosh I'd probably make it out of stone. That sounds awesome, stone is hard, available in like almost every setting, and easy to find.

"Oh no living rock is beating me to death!" Ha ha the idea of it is just too much. Oh gosh this is too silly for me I need to calm down.

Verbannon
2016-10-26, 03:15 PM
A monoatomic gold golem. Made out of a single ounce of gold strung out into a string miles long and a single atom wide thus effectively indestructible without splitting the gold atoms.

Quertus
2016-10-26, 03:17 PM
I guess, since this isn't necessarily specific to D&D, and if I think in terms of what golem body is like to inhabit rather than have a character build... Well, indestructible still sounds nice, but I'd probably go for quintessence (WoD), orichalum (shadowrun), or, in a pinch, weave (forgotten realms). Basically, be made of magic.

I created a custom golem based on all the copper coins in a dragon's horde. I created a horde (haha) of small copper dragons, who had to be convinced (ala bogun) to do anything other than sit there and "guard" your horde.

Flavorful, but about as useful as melting all the copper down into paper weights.

Huh. Guess I misremembered that part. Or misinterpreted. Whichever. I stand corrected.

That's more like what I expected to see, to be honest.

Drako_Beoulve
2016-10-26, 03:21 PM
Transformium!

http://i.imgur.com/bQPpHVT.gif

JAL_1138
2016-10-26, 03:36 PM
A monoatomic gold golem. Made out of a single ounce of gold strung out into a string miles long and a single atom wide thus effectively indestructible without splitting the gold atoms.

Er, not really? It'd be an uber-thin wire made out of an extremely soft metal. A stiff wind would disintegrate it (without causing any atom-splitting). The thinnest strands of spiderwebs would have more structural integrity by far. You'd only have to break the metallic bonds (extremely weak since no lattice can form if it's only one atom wide) holding the gold atoms together as a strand, not the gold atoms themselves.

Cluedrew
2016-10-26, 06:35 PM
With respect to JAL_1138 may I recommend a golem made out of dry. There is slightly more bases to this than... me making it up. The four Aristotelian elements had four properties and under at least one variant I have heard of these were the fundamental building blocks. Dry (of fire and earth) played opposite wet (of water and air) and so would be a wonderful companion for those who would like to avoid wetness.

Squiddish
2016-10-26, 06:37 PM
Pure magical force, like a wall of force or magic missile.

JAL_1138
2016-10-26, 07:16 PM
With respect to JAL_1138 may I recommend a golem made out of dry. There is slightly more bases to this than... me making it up. The four Aristotelian elements had four properties and under at least one variant I have heard of these were the fundamental building blocks. Dry (of fire and earth) played opposite wet (of water and air) and so would be a wonderful companion for those who would like to avoid wetness.

I need one of these. Imagine the DM's frustration when the water dungeon turns into the dry dungeon and all the horrible aquatic beasties asphyxiate.

Fable Wright
2016-10-26, 07:35 PM
I need one of these. Imagine the DM's frustration when the water dungeon turns into the dry dungeon and all the horrible aquatic beasties asphyxiate.

Bear in mind that the Dry golem makes everything dry. Air is a Wet element, and will therefore become either earth or fire.

Is it really a step up if the aquatic dungeon becomes the dungeon filled with liquid fire?

JAL_1138
2016-10-26, 08:40 PM
Bear in mind that the Dry golem makes everything dry. Air is a Wet element, and will therefore become either earth or fire.

Is it really a step up if the aquatic dungeon becomes the dungeon filled with liquid fire?

It's not water, so yes.

As an aside, this is also true in Dwarf Fortress. Magma-flooded forts are often easier to deal with than water-flooded forts in many respects.

Coidzor
2016-10-26, 11:45 PM
Living coral might be interesting.

Verbannon
2016-10-27, 02:13 AM
Er, not really? It'd be an uber-thin wire made out of an extremely soft metal. A stiff wind would disintegrate it (without causing any atom-splitting). The thinnest strands of spiderwebs would have more structural integrity by far. You'd only have to break the metallic bonds (extremely weak since no lattice can form if it's only one atom wide) holding the gold atoms together as a strand, not the gold atoms themselves.

Not quite, from my understanding, when you thin a single element down like that. once it reaches as thin as a single atom wide, I am pretty sure one of the two atomic forces comes into play, making it impossible to pull apart or cut. The only problem is that tension has to be maintained or it collapses back. I forget the exact mechanics though let me think.

Atoms are bonded together to form single cohesive objects like a brick of gold by electromagnetic forces. Gold is exceptionally inducive to electromagnetic energy, which allows it to stretch out better and longer then taffy without ever breaking. Eventually thiugh you reach a point where it is only one atom wide and all the atoms are held in a single long line by the electromagnetic field generated by the atoms.

And for some reason I dont know nor can guess when strung out like this it becomes pretty much unbreakable.

Zaydos
2016-10-27, 02:18 AM
Closest thing I can find not behind a paywall is this abstract (http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.87.026101), which just says the strength is twice that of a bulk metallic bond, far from unbreakable, and wording if vague enough to not be sure if that's 'twice what you'd expect' or 'twice of' well how much metal.

Verbannon
2016-10-27, 02:47 AM
Closest thing I can find not behind a paywall is this abstract (http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.87.026101), which just says the strength is twice that of a bulk metallic bond, far from unbreakable, and wording if vague enough to not be sure if that's 'twice what you'd expect' or 'twice of' well how much metal.

The textbook I read it in didnt give me numbers but just said one couldnt break it outside a laboratory setting. But it was an off hand remark by the book not the focus

Excession
2016-10-27, 03:27 AM
I would make a golem out of time, but I never seem to have enough of it.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-10-27, 08:29 AM
Whatever Spelljammer crystal spheres are made of would be favourite. Or just take a normal golem and install a spelljamming helm, then give the golem casting ability.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-27, 01:23 PM
The textbook I read it in didnt give me numbers but just said one couldnt break it outside a laboratory setting. But it was an off hand remark by the book not the focus
Well, I have a recent paper here, "Theoretical investigation of an ultrastable one dimensional infinite monatomic mixed valent gold wire with excellent electronic properties" (Chun Zhu, Jin-Xia Liang and Gang Wei 2006) , which does appear suitably academic and adequately sourced, and it does mention the stronger bond:

Bahn and Jacobsen suggested that the strength of the linear bonding in the monatomic gold chain was about 2–3 times that of a single bulk bond

The article mentions testing them to the point of breaking, in a laboratory setting, and mentions "excellent" mechanical properties. However, these wires are very small, perhaps twelve atoms long, and the forces are still very, very small, much smaller than the force exerted by gravity on a single amoeba supported by such a wire. To my non-physicist's mind, they are impossible to break outside a laboratory setting, because nothing can actually manage to grab such a wire by the ends and pull. That is, the wire is very weak, but also offers very little purchase, because it is so small - you need quite a bit of pressure (force per area), even though the overall force is small. A much longer wire, useful on macroscopic scales, would probably offer so much area to apply force to, that almost anything would instantly break the wire in a hundred (thousand, million, billion) places.

(if you search on monoatomic gold, you find a whole lot of magic bogus, very odd (and slightly annoying))

iceman10058
2016-10-27, 06:33 PM
Trollflesh, this way you can grow more golems!

Kane0
2016-10-27, 06:52 PM
You could try hope. It's only destroyed when there's none left, and its one of those things that people are notoriously bad at giving up.

Coidzor
2016-10-28, 01:32 AM
Living spells - not so much for the body, but as substitute for the elemental that animates a typical golem.

Ooo, now that is a neat idea, non-standard golem fillings.

Deffers
2016-10-28, 03:52 AM
I suppose it depends on how much control the golem has over its own cohesiveness.

Let's traverse through a few categories. First, hypothetical physical matter.

The strongest golem I can think of off the top of my head would be a Preon Golem-- a golem constructed of hypothetical point-like particles. A pea-sized amount of preons contains the mass of the moon. Scale that up to a thicc ten foot tall colossus. Now, if it can't control its own gravitational field, there goes the solar system, which is a problem. It'll slay your enemies very reliably, 99.999999999% of the time, but it'll also kill you and the sun as well, then collapse into a giant black hole.

A String Theory Fuzzball golem runs into the same problem-- a fuzzball being a String theory interpretation of black holes, it's a multi-dimensional nexus into which matter is absorbed and dispersed. With control over its own strings and gravitational field, it's actually stronger than the preon golem by a large margin, since it's basically a Planck-scale fabricator. Have it eat matter and it can weave you a skein of condensed nuclei that might even be wearable. If it can't, you run into the problems of a preon golem. And if you can, you run into the problem of instructing it in Planck-scale construction without having a spray of strange matter annihilate the planet you're on at minimum.

Let's move on to mythical matter.

The Hebrew Tzohar, or crystallized light of First Creation, is essentially a golem that runs on eternal and purest divine energy even possible. Apocryphally used to light the inside of Noah's Ark, it's also very resplendently brilliant and capable of healing extraordinarily. It's also reported to be connected to a variety of miracles, including possibly the staff of Moses, IIRC. So your giant, blazingly bright colossus of first light would then dissolve into a pile of snakes or part the seas.

In the Hindu elemental system, there exists an element of quintessence akin to dark matter. Utilizing a golem made of it would permit for a hypothetically omnipresent, unblockable golem that might be able to influence the world depending on the particulars of the myths that you're reading at the time. Useful!

Maybe we're getting too fancy. How about some mundane matter?

A fullerene golem would be indomitably strong and durable, with muscular tissue made of nanotubes contracted electrically and surfaces that are vantablack, i.e. None More Black. To the outside observer, your golem would be an attacker made of utter lack capable of tearing apart buildings and immune to bullets.

If that's still too exotic, a non-Newtonian Fluid golem would be able to keep itself rigid through impacting the ground (or itself, depending on how it is magically moved) and reform itself continuously. That one's simple! Cornstarch and water. Pretty good bang for buck, as far as golems go!

TeChameleon
2016-10-28, 04:15 AM
Hmm... what about one created out of electromagnetic force? All of a sudden all your (metallic) armour and weapons get ripped off and form into the body of a golem. And you thought the PCs hated rust monsters...

Or kinetic force... all of a sudden the nothing punches you across the room...

GnomishPride
2016-10-29, 01:00 AM
I would make a golem out of time, but I never seem to have enough of it.

Well I can make the waist, if you can supply the rest. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I'd have to go with a Golem Golem, because it can contain a variety of abilities, including some of the ones described on this very thread. Barring that, how about a Shapesand Golem for ultimate mundane versatility.

Knitifine
2016-10-29, 11:18 AM
A Prion Golem.

Cealocanth
2016-10-29, 03:07 PM
Antimatter golem. As long as it exists, nothing around it does.

Don't worry about it completely getting destroyed beyond any notion of physical existence. We've got a whole demiplane full of them. :smallamused:

Help there's a
2016-10-30, 08:38 AM
There's some sick stuff here.

When it comes to classic golems, there's no denying a little bit of refluff can go a long way. Steel Golem-Carrion Collector. Flesh Golem- Castlevania's Legion.

But, in my opinion, the best golem for me would have to be: Flint Golem. Resistant to magic-and striking it with any metal causes a damaging shower of sparks!

Murk
2016-10-30, 09:31 AM
A Prion Golem.

I think Prions would count as undead in D&D. They are... kind of alive, but not really.

Katrina
2016-10-30, 09:58 PM
It's a testimony to how sleep deprived I am right now that I saw this thread and a voice in the back of my brain screamed "Cheese!"

GrayDeath
2016-10-31, 01:26 PM
Pure Power.

Destructive, tapp-able by me for my Wizardry-boosting exercises, and most importantly Powerful :P

That or Houserules, Houserules work too.

Though kane0´s Idea is a close third.

JAL_1138
2016-10-31, 05:32 PM
Bad news. Nothing travels faster.

Infinite Improbability (powered by the Golden Bail of Prosperity from the Wikkit Key), which might even be faster than bad news.

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-31, 06:07 PM
Wow, really? Three pages in and nobody has given the most obvious answer??

Colossal Marshmallow Golem!!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

MrStabby
2016-10-31, 06:39 PM
Pure unadulterated Sex Appeal.

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-31, 06:43 PM
Ya know what, Im changing my golem. I want a DM/GM golem. A golem that is built to game 24/7 and runs off of soda and takeout.

Of course, this would have to be an intelligent and evil golem. I would have no less.

Traab
2016-10-31, 07:15 PM
Ya know what, Im changing my golem. I want a DM/GM golem. A golem that is built to game 24/7 and runs off of soda and takeout.

Of course, this would have to be an intelligent and evil golem. I would have no less.

Rule Zero Golem. As its creator its attributes are whatever I say they are.

Alent
2016-10-31, 07:25 PM
Wow, really? Three pages in and nobody has given the most obvious answer??

Colossal Marshmallow Golem!!

I dunno, that was a close second, but took a back seat to the Yellow Devil Golem.

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-31, 11:56 PM
Yellow Devil Golem.

Okay, that ain't bad, either. :smallamused:

Kelb_Panthera
2016-11-01, 05:03 AM
I'm gonna go with something a bit more classical; a golem made of the stuff of the gears of mechanus. Good luck figuring out how to get the raw materials for that one though.

Misereor
2016-11-01, 05:24 AM
I want a golem made out of Emo Darksun Halflings. Or maybe Kender tears.

chainer1216
2016-11-01, 05:56 AM
A spellbook Golem, made from books of all the wizards my character has defeated.

Quertus
2016-11-01, 06:58 AM
A spellbook Golem, made from books of all the wizards my character has defeated.

Why would you want a golem made out of losers? Or, worse, their playbooks? :smalltongue:

N810
2016-11-01, 08:33 AM
Explosive runes...

"hey what does that engraving on the golem say"
"KABOOM" :xykon:

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-01, 01:48 PM
Vacuum. Just to see if I could.

KillianHawkeye
2016-11-01, 02:49 PM
I want a golem made out of Emo Darksun Halflings. Or maybe Kender tears.

I thought that Halflings in Dark Sun were crazy, jungle-dwelling cannibals? "Emo" isn't really the first word I would choose to describe them.

Cealocanth
2016-11-01, 04:15 PM
Is it still too late for a neutronium golem?

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-01, 04:21 PM
Let's make a URANIUM Golem.

Or a Golem made of Katanas, a KATANA Golem.

Or...maybe...

iceman10058
2016-11-01, 05:13 PM
How bout a golem made out of bards?

DigoDragon
2016-11-01, 06:43 PM
Glitter Golem. Specialize in grappling and it gets in your EVERYTHING.

Five level-ups form now, the party fighter turns her scabbard over and finds glitter still in there. 17 dungeon crawls later the wizard opens their main spellbook and finds glitter in the crack between Dispel and Force Cage. :smalltongue:

Strigon
2016-11-01, 08:06 PM
Glitter Golem. Specialize in grappling and it gets in your EVERYTHING.

Five level-ups form now, the party fighter turns her scabbard over and finds glitter still in there. 17 dungeon crawls later the wizard opens their main spellbook and finds glitter in the crack between Dispel and Force Cage. :smalltongue:

Funny, I was expecting a Friendship Golem from you.

Anyway, a Time golem sounds like something the Doctor Who writers would come up with, and then proceed to give it powers with questionable (read: completely contradictory) logic.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-11-01, 09:00 PM
I'm going with a idea golem.

Or even better an "idea golems bright idea" golem

Or even better an ""idea golems bright idea" golems Bright idea" golem

Or even better an "idea golems...

:smallfurious:*1000 golems later*:smallfurious:

:belkar:OR EVEN BETTER A "DOCTOR OCTAGONAPUS" GOLEM :belkar:

or even better a stone Golem

...:roach::roach:

God master (GM):Why you say? Well ill tell you, once upon a time there was this golem and it had a bright idea...

*at the end of the book of time* And that golem had i bright idea why not make a golem made of rock. So that stone golem had no intelligence and the pc's finally didn't die in the first lvl. The E... Oh no the wizard he cast awaken golem...

TeChameleon
2016-11-04, 04:05 PM
... :smallamused:

Well, if we're allowed to add a spell-like ability... namely, an aura that is a Distintegrate variant that specifically targets footwear and only footwear...

A Lego golem.

The PCs would be able to destroy them easily, but oh, would they regret it after they did.

EDIT: and as an added bonus, you could quite easily reuse most of the golems afterwards.

DigoDragon
2016-11-04, 04:48 PM
Well, if we're allowed to add a spell-like ability... namely, an aura that is a Distintegrate variant that specifically targets footwear and only footwear...

A Lego golem.

Let's be fair here. LEGO doesn't need a spell-like ability to cripple footwear. :smallwink:

DuctTapeKatar
2016-11-06, 05:32 PM
A tentacle golem which produces a fluid that dissolves all nonliving material. The fluids would dissolve any sword that touches it, and once the tentacles wrap around a person, their armor and EVERYTHING THEY BROUGHT WITH THEM IS DESTROYED. Potions? The bottles melted, and the solution contaminated. Weapons? Unless your dagger was alive at one point, it's not going to be usable. Virginity? Not a solid object, but the golem may as well take that as well. Any adventurer that manages to kill it with their fists or magic would have to go back to town to recover all that stuff they lost- if they didn't keep their gold purse on them when they were attacked, or if they have enough dignity to walk back to town naked (unless their underwear was alive at the time of attack... Actually, that would probably be more horrifying, considering).

Plus, any person who has seen enough hentai to know where that was going would know to run the hell away, especially once they realize that it eats their armor.

Fable Wright
2016-11-06, 08:11 PM
Plus, any person who has seen enough hentai to know where that was going would know to run the hell away, especially once they realize that it eats their armor.

Except for the Druids. They saw this coming, and forbade any of their members from wearing metal armor so as to fight against threats like this. :smalltongue:

ross
2016-11-06, 08:58 PM
If you could build a golem using one material what would it by and why?

I'd make mine out of liquid metal (think Terminator T-1000 only more semi-solid and it always looks chrome). Not only would it be great for infiltration (squeezing through cracks) but it would be just as deadly if a fight started.

It would probably have some way to launch "bullets" at its foes.

What metal would you use?

You can make an infinite number of copies of your dreams without losing them. They're information.

The fog, which you initially payed little attention to, begins to swirl and roil rapidly. Looking at it curiously, you see it form into the vague shape of a fist. Before you can react, the fog-fist punches you in the face, sending you sprawling to the ground. The fog is alive!

The golem's fist weighs about 0.3 grams. Its punches aren't a threat to anyone.

Except for the Druids. They saw this coming, and forbade any of their members from wearing metal armor so as to fight against threats like this. :smalltongue:

Dissolves non-living, not (just) metal.

MasterMercury
2016-11-06, 09:28 PM

Non-living feels like an odd requirement. The minute I die (of embarrassment) do I dissolve? I'm no longer living.

Hish
2016-11-06, 10:23 PM
The golem's fist weighs about 0.3 grams. Its punches aren't a threat to anyone.

But how fast is it going?

My golem would be mercury golem. First, golems have a reputation for being slow and clumsy. This one would be made of liquid, so it wouldn't be. Second, you get to call it a 'quicksilver golem' and use the word 'mercurial' to describe it.

Fable Wright
2016-11-07, 12:24 AM

First, multiquote exists. It's the little "+ next to the reply with quote button. You can click on those, they will show a check image, and then the post you selected with this technique will show up in your reply. It is very handy for reducing thread clutter.

Second, I direct you to this:

Unless your dagger was alive at one point, it's not going to be usable.

Intent is clearly that if something was alive at one point (such as hide or leather, or those heavier chitin-or-dragonhide-based armors that melee Druids are so fond of) it's going to work against the golem.

Which is a restriction that such a narrow category of people will fall through that you'd have to think it was planned, somehow. :smalltongue:

N810
2016-11-07, 12:48 PM
Marshmallow Golem. :elan:

Masema
2016-11-07, 05:41 PM
Transformium!

http://i.imgur.com/bQPpHVT.gif

You want Megatron on your side?!

Living coral might be interesting.

You just described what is often described as a living rock as a living living rock.

You could try hope. It's only destroyed when there's none left, and its one of those things that people are notoriously bad at giving up. Pure awesomeness here.

Explosive runes...

"hey what does that engraving on the golem say"
"KABOOM" :xykon:
I want this for reasons.

As for mine, I would have it made of Nokia 1100s. Completely indestructible and keeps a charge for months.

DuctTapeKatar
2016-11-07, 08:50 PM
Intent is clearly that if something was alive at one point (such as hide or leather, or those heavier chitin-or-dragonhide-based armors that melee Druids are so fond of) it's going to work against the golem.

Which is a restriction that such a narrow category of people will fall through that you'd have to think it was planned, somehow. :smalltongue:

... Crap. I just realized that all you'd have to do is wear wool clothes (because sheep are living creatures) shove it into a plant-fiber bag and grab some clubs (trees, also alive) and beat it to oblivion...

Welp. That backfired. I'd be the worst wizard ever. But still, would be funny to send it to a blacksmith's, or a museum.

Alent
2016-11-07, 08:52 PM
... Crap. I just realized that all you'd have to do is wear wool clothes (because sheep are living creatures) shove it into a plant-fiber bag and grab some clubs (trees, also alive) and beat it to oblivion...

Welp. That backfired. I'd be the worst wizard ever. But still, would be funny to send it to a blacksmith's, or a museum.

I can also just imagine the players when returning for revenge.

"Blacksmith, I require intelligent arms and armor! And pants! Intelligent pants!"

Lord Torath
2016-11-08, 01:13 PM
A tentacle golem which produces a fluid that dissolves all nonliving material. The fluids would dissolve any sword that touches it, and once the tentacles wrap around a person, their armor and EVERYTHING THEY BROUGHT WITH THEM IS DESTROYED. Potions? The bottles melted, and the solution contaminated. Weapons? Unless your dagger was alive at one point, it's not going to be usable. Virginity? Not a solid object, but the golem may as well take that as well. Any adventurer that manages to kill it with their fists or magic would have to go back to town to recover all that stuff they lost- if they didn't keep their gold purse on them when they were attacked, or if they have enough dignity to walk back to town naked (unless their underwear was alive at the time of attack... Actually, that would probably be more horrifying, considering).

Plus, any person who has seen enough hentai to know where that was going would know to run the hell away, especially once they realize that it eats their armor.Spiderman and/or Venom (depending on which one currently has the black suit) would have an easy time with this golem as well. Anyone taking Talia's Vow of Nudity would also be unfazed.

dehro
2016-11-10, 06:04 PM
Poop golem with improved grapple. Named Huggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdd4rBlsj2o
My job here is done

Calthropstu
2016-11-10, 06:28 PM
I would make a golem out of spheres of annihilation.

Edit: damnit, someone beat me to it. Should have finished reading at least the first page.

Ok, fine. If I want to be original, let's go stellar. I would make a galaxy golem.

King539
2016-11-10, 07:43 PM
Vorpal Sword Golem. 'Nuff said.

Sneak Dog
2016-11-12, 02:37 PM
I just want a golem to punch my foes into the void/abyss/oblivion/nothingness while being able to get me out of dangerous situations. You know, like a 'Last Resort'. And why even do this the complicated way? Like the golem having to deal damage, or make bluff checks. Just get to the point the most direct way possible:

Portal golem.

sengmeng
2016-11-16, 06:57 AM
In honor of the horrors my wife perpetrates on the bathroom drain... the Hair Golem!

Mastikator
2016-11-16, 07:18 AM
Plutonium golem for that glow in the dark win.

Also if you bring 2 together they explode.