PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing Powers for a Gish Psion ECL8?

JEntropy
2007-07-11, 12:41 PM
Hey guys, thanks in advance for the help. I'm building my first psionic character for an ECL 8 PBP campaign, and I've spent the last few days reading through the rules and mechanics.

I'm planning on making it a gish-like character, so he's a Warblade1/Psion6/Slayer1. Only race available is human. If it matters, my stats are 14STR/16DEX/14CON/19INT/10WIS/10CHA. I wanted to hack and blast, so my psion took the Kineticist discipline. Feats are Able Learner, Practiced Manifester, Track, Overchannel and Empower Power.

My real question comes up with which powers to choose. After studying them at length, and contrasting my opinions with This thread (http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=8968092&postcount=10), I feel really lost. Point is, I'm asking for your help.

Assuming I take highest available level powers as I progress, I can have:

5 1st Level Powers
4 2nd Level Powers
4 3rd Level Powers

That's your challenge. Instead of reading through a thread advocating more powers than I can choose in the first place, give me your best gish psion power build.

Starbuck_II
2007-07-11, 01:44 PM
I'm building a level 8 character for a PBP campaign, and I'm looking for some help choosing powers. I've decided on Warblade1/Psion6/Slayer1, so at this point I need your recommendations on:

5 first level powers
4 second level powers
4 third level powers

If you have any ideas, let loose! I've got a few rolling around, but I'm going to hold them back and wait to see what everyone else says.

Thanks in advance.

What Devotion (what discipline like Nomad, etc)?

Vigor can be nice: Blocks damage. Entangling Ectoplasm is nice at slowing/weakening enemies.

JEntropy
2007-07-11, 01:50 PM
What Devotion (what discipline like Nomad, etc)?

Vigor can be nice: Blocks damage. Entangling Ectoplasm is nice at slowing/weakening enemies.

Kineticist

And btw, I'm planning on taking overchannel, empower power and practiced manifester as feats, if that affects anyone's considerations.

Thanks for the feedback starbuck :)

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-11, 03:16 PM
Unless you are planning a long term campaign and want to build a King of Smack or Wolverine type PC:

First - Control Object, Mindthrust, Sleep (Hyperconciousness), Vigor, Telempathic Projection if utilizing a lot of Diplomacy checks in game. Force Shield or Inertial Armor if going to use a psionic version of the Abjurant Champion.

Second - Energy Missile

(A Sculptable Grease as a level 2 power your PC developed if you can talk your DM into it as it isn't gamebreaking and mechanically already exists in game)

Biofeedback, (Damp Power or Pschoportive shelter depending on the campaign)

Third - Energy Cone and maybe Dispel Psionics, Energy Retort, Keen Edge or Psychic Containment depending on your concept and what the other party members are taking.

Astral Construct or Charm Psionic if you can take the Hidden Talent feat.

P.S. The Phrenic template is only +2LA and your DM might let you build a 7 level psionic character with one LA already bought down for your level 8 character.