PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking for a good build 4-14

Pezofpower
2016-10-18, 07:35 PM
Hey there, my group is running a Return to ToEE campaign and my first character has gone insane, so I've been given permission to roll a second. Per our DM's house rules second characters can use more than core classes, so I'd like to do so. Tome of Battle, Factotum and Psionics are all banned. As far as I'm aware everything else is fair game.

I'm looking for something that isn't core, but is extremely strong for this level range. and possibly a level by level build for the character. I have max WBL for 4 so that's all I get for purchases. I'm extremely burned out on playing core anything, but I'm willing to consider dips if it helps die a build together. I'd prefer LA0 races just for paperworks sake as well. Lastly the character doesn't need to be the antithesis of the campaign manual, as it will go on to play in other campaigns.

Stats are: 16,16,14,12,11,9

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

gawwy
2016-10-18, 08:13 PM
what else is in your party?

Maybe ranger into stalker of karesh?

Pezofpower
2016-10-18, 08:16 PM
Bard, Wizard, Rogue, Druid and My former character a cleric.

He was a bow cleric, so I'd prefer not to be a bow user.

Soranar
2016-10-18, 09:22 PM
With so many spellcasters and no tank, it looks like you need a tank that helps spellcasters.

The following paladin build might be for you

Race: Warforged (important for substution levels and the construct type)
Template: Dragonborn of bahamut (Heart, the breath weapon is your friend)

Alternate class features/Substitution levels

-Warforged Paladin, take all 3 levels
-Mystic Fire Knight , take every ability (even the one that takes away turn undead)

STATS
STR 16 stays same
DEX 9 (dump stat)
CON 16 +4 (so 20, required for quicken breath, this should also get every increase honestly)
INT 12 (eventually you need 14 so get a belt of magnificience as soon as you can afford one)
WIS 12 (same as above, 12 will do for now)
CHA 7 (dump stat in this build)

Progression

Level 1 Entangling exhalation
Level 3 Quicken Breath
Level 6 Sword of the Arcane order
Level 9 Power Attack
Level 12 Celestial Mount (gives your mount a significant BAB and HP boost at this point though you could get this from the Planar substitution level 6 if your DM allows it)

Tricks

sword of the arcane order lets you cast wizard spells, you only need 1 spell by level 8, alter self
due to your caster level bonus from your substitution levels, you get to cast alter self as a caster level 6 by level 8 (which is plenty for your needs)

Since you are a warforged, you can turn into another construct. Amongst all the insane possibilities this opens to you (you can turn into animated objects if you need to for roleplay reasons) the best is a warforged charger. This form gives you a bunch of defensive bonuses , 2 slams and you are now large

this spell lasts 10 minutes per caster level so 1 hour (thats enough to last you quite a while)
you get a bonus slot from the substitution level so you can do this twice per day (more if you have a wisdom enhancer)
since you are large, you get 10 ft reach and alter self lets you use your equipment so you can combine this with a reach weapon and have 20 ft reach.
20 ft reach + a 5 ft step should get you within the reach of anything you need to kill. Your Slams can also cover your adjacent squares while you threaten the further squares with a polearm

now, you can share spells with your mount
your mount is a heavy warhorse, it is large, it is also considered a magical beast (this is described in your class features, for some reason it only progresses as an animal anyway). Your mount can alter self into a 5 headed hydra (huge)
your mount also gets to keep its own ability scores (which are better than the hydra's)

So , in short

-you are a large roadblock
-your mount is a huge roadblock
-you entangle your opponents as a swift action , letting you full attack while slowing down the larger threats (alter self specifies you can use SU abilities while morphed)
-you have a ton of HP
-you can heal a ton of HP (your special lay on hand uses your CON bonus)
-your Will save is through the roof due to your CON bonus
-you are immune to almost every status effect in dnd
-By level 16 you and your mount can turn into Hydras with polymorph
-you can cast greater dispel magic if you smite something and you can smite evil and constructs

Oh and all of your attacks are pumped by your friendly bard

Pezofpower
2016-10-18, 10:02 PM
Thank you based god Soranar.

Any suggestions for purchases?

Soranar
2016-10-19, 05:43 AM
Thank you based god Soranar.

Any suggestions for purchases?

Like I mentioned before, a belt of magnificience
anklets of translocation are a cheap way to get a move action and full attack
A decent reach weapon (guisarme)