PDA

View Full Version : Volo's Guide to Monsters Fireblog preview

Belac93
2016-10-18, 11:36 PM
Link to pdf. (http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Volo_Firbolg107.pdf)

Rundown: +2 wisdom (first race to have this), +1 strength, medium size, detect magic and disguise self 1/rest, bonus action to turn invisible until your next turn 1/rest, powerful build, and can speak with beasts and animals.

Arkhios
2016-10-18, 11:51 PM
I'm a bit disappointed that the first potential playable race to be large in size, is not.

Other than that, I like their fluff and would definitely play a firbolg druid.

Gastronomie
2016-10-19, 12:08 AM
Finally an official WIS +2 race!

The fluff seems fun, and what makes it even more interesting is how they detail the characteristics of the Firbolgs who take each Class. It makes it easier to handle Firbolg NPCs, since you get deep insight on their pasts.

pwykersotz
2016-10-19, 12:12 AM
I like it! I cant' wait to see more.

Also, now I want to see a Fireblog race, as per the thread title. A mighty race of flaming keyboard warriors, perhaps. :smalltongue:

Maxilian
2016-10-19, 12:12 AM
I'm a bit disappointed that the first potential playable race to be large in size, is not.

I feel like they are trying to evade different size creatures as playable options (They have enough with Med and Small)

Arkhios
2016-10-19, 12:21 AM
I feel like they are trying to evade different size creatures as playable options (They have enough with Med and Small)

Yeah, it's kinda obvious they would do that.
Though, don't they have too many medium races already, and only two small races (subraces aside)?

Maxilian
2016-10-19, 09:12 AM
Yeah, it's kinda obvious they would do that.
Though, don't they have too many medium races already, and only two small races (subraces aside)?

If the Goblins are in, they are going to be Small, and most likely the same with Kobolds (Kobolds are not confirmed though)

Callin
2016-10-19, 09:21 AM
Well thats a disappointment. Totally not what I was expecting.

RulesJD
2016-10-19, 09:27 AM
Solid class for Melee Clerics or Bearbarians.

Other than that....meh. Bonus Action invis is baller so dropping that on a Rogue would be very powerful, but the stats don't line up at all.

But Bonus Action -> Invis, then cast a spell = Cleric counter to Counterspell.

tieren
2016-10-19, 09:35 AM

I think large opens up new cans of worms they haven't considered fully yet.

There is practical stuff like squeezing through doorways and narrow halls, but also mechanical stuff like would a Large PC with sentinel control too much of the battlefield? What if only one of his 4 squares is in an AOE? etc...

Maxilian
2016-10-19, 09:42 AM
Solid class for Melee Clerics or Bearbarians.

Other than that....meh. Bonus Action invis is baller so dropping that on a Rogue would be very powerful, but the stats don't line up at all.

But Bonus Action -> Invis, then cast a spell = Cleric counter to Counterspell.

Its not a bad option for a STR based Monk (they are not many but there are some), nor its a bad option for Druid (the +1 STR its not that useful but meh)

Belac93
2016-10-19, 09:59 AM
Fireblogs would make really good rangers, especially with a sort of skirmishing focus. The bonus action invisibility is pretty much a free disengage.

tieren
2016-10-19, 10:30 AM
Fireblogs would make really good rangers, especially with a sort of skirmishing focus. The bonus action invisibility is pretty much a free disengage.

"free" assuming you don't want to use your bonus action for hunters mark or TWF.

Belac93
2016-10-19, 10:52 AM
"free" assuming you don't want to use your bonus action for hunters mark or TWF.

Sword and board or archers get a lot of use out of this. And Hunter's mark will usually be cast on the first round of combat.

And also, you are invisible. So you'll get advantage on your next attack, if you want to do that instead.

It's not the best ability, but it is useful in a lot of situations.

Maxilian
2016-10-19, 10:56 AM

I wouldn't say free, but its indeed a nice way to use it (though not like you will be able to do it more than once per combat)

DizzyWood
2016-10-19, 11:28 AM
Looks fun to play a nature or Arcana cleric. I really love the art he looks like he is gonna ask you to do shrooms with you or beat your head in.

Millstone85
2016-10-19, 11:38 AM
Regarding names as a foreign concept is just plain silly.
You will end up using long totally-not-names such as Youngest-on-the-Hill-Near-the-River.

what makes it even more interesting is how they detail the characteristics of the Firbolgs who take each Class.I particularly like the entry on firbolg warlocks. You are a rare occurrence for the race but your whole clan probably signed up. Also a reminder that some archfey can be dealt with safely, maybe.

BigONotation
2016-10-19, 11:44 AM
I think large opens up new cans of worms they haven't considered fully yet.

There is practical stuff like squeezing through doorways and narrow halls, but also mechanical stuff like would a Large PC with sentinel control too much of the battlefield? What if only one of his 4 squares is in an AOE? etc...

I'm sure they recognize it's ridiculous as being 8 feet tall (and the accompanying weight you'd have to be regardless of what they wrote for Size in the race) puts you squarely in Large size. Their game is designed around Medium PCs. It appears in their mind mechanically, Small creatures are just Medium creatures with some things extra and some things removed. I don't know why they couldn't do the same for Firbolgs in this case: some things extra, some things removed. Alas a missed chance that makes their choice look ridiculous.

DanyBallon
2016-10-19, 11:56 AM
I'm sure they recognize it's ridiculous as being 8 feet tall (and the accompanying weight you'd have to be regardless of what they wrote for Size in the race) puts you squarely in Large size. Their game is designed around Medium PCs. It appears in their mind mechanically, Small creatures are just Medium creatures with some things extra and some things removed. I don't know why they couldn't do the same for Firbolgs in this case: some things extra, some things removed. Alas a missed chance that makes their choice look ridiculous.

Small and medium creature use the same 5-foot square, Large creatures don't and have natural reach, that's should be enough to not let them be used as a character. As a matter of fact, they kept it medium creature and gave them many of large creatures features except for the reach and taking more floor space.

Arkhios
2016-10-19, 12:01 PM
Small and medium creature use the same 5-foot square, Large creatures don't and have natural reach, that's should be enough to not let them be used as a character. As a matter of fact, they kept it medium creature and gave them many of large creatures features except for the reach and taking more floor space.

Yes, it's an elegant way to make a semi-large out of a medium race. As much as 8 feet tall is going to be roughly twice as tall as a dwarf, it's certainly remarkable size difference. I would've hoped something a little more to Powerful Build than that, but I guess that'll have to do.

tieren
2016-10-19, 12:14 PM
Yes, it's an elegant way to make a semi-large out of a medium race. As much as 8 feet tall is going to be roughly twice as tall as a dwarf, it's certainly remarkable size difference. I would've hoped something a little more to Powerful Build than that, but I guess that'll have to do.

I think if they added treating him as one size larger for purposes of grappling checks it would have been fine.

Arkhios
2016-10-19, 12:40 PM
I think if they added treating him as one size larger for purposes of grappling checks it would have been fine.

Something like that, yeah.

sandvirm
2016-10-19, 01:33 PM

Large creatures do not automatically get reach in 5e. The other point that Large creatures are 10' x 10' has some advantageous impacts on game play in narrow areas, but there are also several disadvantages that go along with it. A large tank blocking a 10' hallway is also providing all the enemies cover from the rest of the party. A 10' x 10' creature has to squeeze into 5' spaces which imposes disadvantage on attack rolls and grants advantage to attacks targeting the large creature.

Maxilian
2016-10-19, 02:08 PM
Looks fun to play a nature or Arcana cleric. I really love the art he looks like he is gonna ask you to do shrooms with you or beat your head in.

What kind of people do you hang out with ?! :smalleek:

Maxilian
2016-10-19, 02:13 PM
Regarding names as a foreign concept is just plain silly.
You will end up using long totally-not-names such as Youngest-on-the-Hill-Near-the-River.

I like it, in some cases is more practical than saying "My name is Jose, i'm from Neverwinter"

Note: last names in the past where given by the actions made (Is like a title), so its not such a weird concept.

Willie the Duck
2016-10-19, 02:20 PM

They certainly don't remind me of the Firbolg of either of myth or game history. They seem nice enough as a completely new thing. Str+ Wisdom is a rare combination (clerics, clerics, and clerics. Maybe monks or druids).

My overall take is-not overpowered, not underpowered, but I still don't think I'll see a player take one except for flavor reasons.

DizzyWood
2016-10-19, 02:22 PM
What kind of people do you hang out with ?! :smalleek:

I live next door to a group house of early 20 something men who all aspire to be pro MMA fighters. This is in a neighborhood that is very crunchy hippy yoga organic food. So..... ya that might explain why I see this.

INDYSTAR188
2016-10-19, 02:24 PM

What were you expecting? Why don't you like it? For my part I think its great and I'll take this as a good omen for the book! I do wonder how it compares to the PHB races in terms of starting benefits?

sandvirm
2016-10-19, 02:31 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was expecting...well...Firbolgs. What is presented as Firbolgs in Volo's guide is some sort of combination of Firbolgs, Voadkyn, and something else. It looks totally fine as an option, but should not be called Firbolg.

Maxilian
2016-10-19, 02:37 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was expecting...well...Firbolgs. What is presented as Firbolgs in Volo's guide is some sort of combination of Firbolgs, Voadkyn, and something else. It looks totally fine as an option, but should not be called Firbolg.

I did not know of Firbolg until people started talking about it for Volo's Guide, and the picture i saw where nothing like this (is not bad, its just.... weird)

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/8/82/Firbolgs_-_Steve_Prescott.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090625011624

Note: A part of me saw them as a race like the Giant-eske race we got in an UA before but with more hair and evil eyes (so a part of me prefer the new looks but i do understand the problem)

GlenSmash!
2016-10-19, 02:52 PM
I like the fluff a lot. More than I thought I would since I was expecting pseudo giant vikings and got pseudo fey giants. The abilities line up great with a Cleric, good for a Druid, Fighter, Barbarian, or Strength based Ranger. This seems really line with the fluff given.

All in all it's pretty solid. I'd play one.

RulesJD
2016-10-19, 02:55 PM

By definition, they are Firbolgs. The company that is in charge of creating them has said so.

It boggles my mind how upset people get at 5th Ed. content that isn't an exact replica of prior content.

sandvirm
2016-10-19, 03:29 PM
By definition, they are Firbolgs. The company that is in charge of creating them has said so.

It boggles my mind how upset people get at 5th Ed. content that isn't an exact replica of prior content.

First, to characterize me as being so upset is simply not true. I'm not pitching a fit, refusing to buy this book, or starting a petition to change the name because of this. As I said, it's a fine option, I just think it is breaks too much with what every previous edition called Firbolgs. If the race labeled "Dwarf" in the 5e PHB suddenly resembled an Elf, there would be a lot of head scratching and complaints. The difference here is that Dwarves are far more well known than Firbolgs.

As such, I may call it something else in my home games or change the appearance. It is D&D, I can do that.

tieren
2016-10-19, 03:55 PM
I wonder if the invisibility thing works while wild shaped.

Form of blink dog to the rescue (not literally, just a dog that keeps disappearing and reappearing somewhere else).

Kane0
2016-10-19, 04:09 PM
Interesting. I'm glad I ordered this one

Vogonjeltz
2016-10-19, 05:36 PM
What if only one of his 4 squares is in an AOE? etc...

Then he's in the area of effect.

MasterMercury
2016-10-19, 09:05 PM
How are they able to talk to plants? And what's the point? At least with animals you can ask them directions, and they can point or something. A plant that can't talk back won't do anything.

Erys
2016-10-19, 09:33 PM
How are they able to talk to plants? And what's the point? At least with animals you can ask them directions, and they can point or something. A plant that can't talk back won't do anything.

I think the pertinent part with plants is having advantage on all charisma checks.

Trent's are going to think you're awesome.

Beleriphon
2016-10-19, 09:46 PM

On the size thing being between 7 and 8 feet tall, keep mind that a human regardless of height is still going to be medium sized. Shaquille O'Neal is still only medium sized despite being a 7 fee 1 inch tall, and weighs 325 lb. Yao Ming is 7 ft 6 in and weighs 310 lb, as another example. Sure they're at the extreme upper end of human height, but I don't hink its unreasonable to consider a creature that normally is between 7 and 8 feet tall to be medium sized.

MasterMercury
2016-10-19, 09:48 PM
I think the pertinent part with plants is having advantage on all charisma checks.

Trent's are going to think you're awesome.

Fair enough.
Question: Can I ask an apple tree to drop an apple? If so, I'm in.

Erys
2016-10-19, 10:03 PM
Fair enough.
Question: Can I ask an apple tree to drop an apple? If so, I'm in.

Maybe not technically, but I'm going to allow it. :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Arkhios
2016-10-19, 10:40 PM

Tsk tsk, such lack of imagination :smallcool:

Dalebert
2016-10-19, 11:36 PM
Nobody thinks they're too good?

What other racial spells are per short rest? And Disguise Self is really useful, and the Firbolg version is better than the regular spell. Detect Magic can be really useful too. They can toss it around casually to detect magical traps and such or to see if someone is masked by illusion, for instance.

Trickery Clerics have a 6th level class feature to turn invisible for one turn. It takes a full action AND uses their channeling. Firbolgs get this as a racial and it only takes a bonus action.

Of course I'll play them if allowed.

Arkhios
2016-10-20, 12:11 AM
Dragonborn's breath weapon is per short rest and it's direct damage no less.

Dalebert
2016-10-20, 12:54 AM
Dragonborn's breath weapon is per short rest and it's direct damage no less.

Never has impressed me. It's pretty mild dmg compared to what they can likely do with their class features and an action. Str8 dmg is overrated in general considering everyone has various ways to do it but the utility offered by Firbolg spells is very versatile.

Arkhios
2016-10-20, 01:04 AM
Never has impressed me. It's pretty mild dmg compared to what they can likely do with their class features and an action. Str8 dmg is overrated in general considering everyone has various ways to do it but the utility offered by Firbolg spells is very versatile.

Not many can compete with one action's worth dealing direct damage in a 15 ft. cone or 30 ft. line area (as a racial trait). Granted, it doesn't do much damage to a single target, but it does quite a bit of damage to multiple targets in total at the cost of just one action. Especially for a non-caster that's a great bonus option.

Belac93
2016-10-20, 05:33 AM
Nobody thinks they're too good?

What other racial spells are per short rest? And Disguise Self is really useful, and the Firbolg version is better than the regular spell. Detect Magic can be really useful too. They can toss it around casually to detect magical traps and such or to see if someone is masked by illusion, for instance. These are non-combat abilities, remember. And they can only use 1 of them per short or long rest, not both. So, you don't get to cast disguise self and detect magic. It is good, but remember that tieflings at level 3 get a cantrip and a 2nd level spell 1/long rest, and then another 2nd level spell at level 5. So, even though a fireblog can cast on a short rest, they aren't casting nearly as much as anyone else.

Also, detect magic is easier to use without cost than any other 1st level spell. Warlocks can cast it for free with an invocation, and wizards can cast it for free as a ritual. Same with anyone who has the ritual caster feat. So this ability is useful, but the detect magic part is probably already covered.

Trickery Clerics have a 6th level class feature to turn invisible for one turn. It takes a full action AND uses their channeling. Firbolgs get this as a racial and it only takes a bonus action.

A trickery cleric can gain more channeling (allowing for more casts), and a trickery cleric's invisibility ends at the end of their next turn, while a fireblog's ends at the beginning.

Tanarii
2016-10-20, 10:46 AM
They certainly don't remind me of the Firbolg of either of myth or game history.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was expecting...well...Firbolgs. What is presented as Firbolgs in Volo's guide is some sort of combination of Firbolgs, Voadkyn, and something else. It looks totally fine as an option, but should not be called Firbolg.That was my first thought too. But then I realized I'm getting them confused with something else. I thought firbolgs were ugly, destructive, dangerous Fey Giants. What the hell am I thinking of?

Arkhios
2016-10-20, 10:56 AM
That was my first thought too. But then I realized I'm getting them confused with something else. I thought firbolgs were ugly, destructive, dangerous Fey Giants. What the hell am I thinking of?

Fomorians :)

tieren
2016-10-20, 11:20 AM
I found the picture reminded me of the Gorgs from Fraggle Rock, totally going to make one a radish farmer.

Dhuraal
2016-10-20, 11:59 AM
On the size thing being between 7 and 8 feet tall, keep mind that a human regardless of height is still going to be medium sized. Shaquille O'Neal is still only medium sized despite being a 7 fee 1 inch tall, and weighs 325 lb. Yao Ming is 7 ft 6 in and weighs 310 lb, as another example. Sure they're at the extreme upper end of human height, but I don't hink its unreasonable to consider a creature that normally is between 7 and 8 feet tall to be medium sized.

I was going to say this same thing. If you do a quick google search for "tallest person", you will find that Wikipedia has a nice list. The tallest person ever recorded was 8'11.1" and the tallest living person is 8'3". Both would still be medium creatures

Willie the Duck
2016-10-20, 12:00 PM
That was my first thought too. But then I realized I'm getting them confused with something else. I thought firbolgs were ugly, destructive, dangerous Fey Giants. What the hell am I thinking of?

These are my first conception of Firbolgs
https://www.google.com/search?q=firbolg&safe=off&biw=1024&bih=623&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjowcGV7enPAhUn6YMKHarnCTIQ_AUIBigB#imgr c=RMmQnfbk6wLIsM%3A

Really Giantitp?
Ugh. Why can't we upload jpgs instead of link them?

GlenSmash!
2016-10-20, 03:24 PM

Verbeegs maybe?

Temperjoke
2016-10-20, 03:45 PM
The picture kinda reminds me of MossMan (http://he-man.wikia.com/wiki/MossMan) from the 2002 He-Man cartoon. I am okay with this.

EDIT: On the size thing, they're just as big as Goliaths are, who are considered Medium as well, with some benefits of the Large category. I like to think of the sizes as ranges, with Dwarves on the small side of the medium scale, and Goliaths and Firbolg on the large side of it.

Tanarii
2016-10-20, 04:15 PM
These are my first conception of Firbolgs
https://www.google.com/search?q=firbolg&safe=off&biw=1024&bih=623&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjowcGV7enPAhUn6YMKHarnCTIQ_AUIBigB#imgr c=RMmQnfbk6wLIsM%3A

Really Giantitp?
Ugh. Why can't we upload jpgs instead of link them?You tried to link the search, instead of the image itself.

Fomorians (http://www.clevermovegames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DnDMM3.jpg) :)Oh yeah. Totally Fomorians I was thinking of. :smallbiggrin:

Azuresun
2021-02-01, 05:10 AM
{Scrubbed}

flat_footed
2021-02-01, 09:58 AM
The Fullmetal Mod: Thread necromancy is a forbidden art.