PDA

View Full Version : I cast "Unarmed Ranged Attack!"

SangoProduction
2016-10-19, 02:01 AM
I can get a Throwing enchantment on my unarmed attacks. So, what's the most fun way to fluff this? In 4e, when I pulled the unarmed ranged attack, the DM just said I flew with the attack to my target.

I've heard people say that you can throw your hair and it count as an unarmed attack. That's actually terrifyingly funny.

You *could* throw your arm itself but...without returning or teleporting...and without regeneration, that sounds like a bad idea.

EDIT: I was asking for how to fluff this. I already have Throwing enchantment available.

Troacctid
2016-10-19, 02:10 AM
http://orig02.deviantart.net/cc73/f/2015/128/3/a/dhalsim_sprite_teste_by_tuccifml_d8se543_by_ramzan eko-d8sl1gs.gif

Gruftzwerg
2016-10-19, 02:11 AM
Well, you could go warlock to get access to the "Disembodied Hand" invocation, which lets you disembody your hand^^.
Further you need kensai for the returning enchantment, cause magic items will be hard to get separate for your hands (when they are disembodied) and kensai can directly enchant your hands.

Maybe not the most effective way to fight, but definitive a really stylish build xD

weckar
2016-10-19, 02:30 AM
I thought there was a feat that did this called Ring the Golden Bell. Basically you punch the air so hard and accurately it delivers the punch over distance. I guess you could use that fluff.

SangoProduction
2016-10-19, 02:46 AM
http://orig02.deviantart.net/cc73/f/2015/128/3/a/dhalsim_sprite_teste_by_tuccifml_d8se543_by_ramzan eko-d8sl1gs.gif

lol. that's amazing

I thought there was a feat that did this called Ring the Golden Bell. Basically you punch the air so hard and accurately it delivers the punch over distance. I guess you could use that fluff.

hmm. Yeah. Hadoken work well.

Well, you could go warlock to get access to the "Disembodied Hand" invocation, which lets you disembody your hand^^.
Further you need kensai for the returning enchantment, cause magic items will be hard to get separate for your hands (when they are disembodied) and kensai can directly enchant your hands.

Maybe not the most effective way to fight, but definitive a really stylish build xD

Eh. Yeah. That's a different way to achieve a ranged unarmed attack, definitely.

gorfnab
2016-10-19, 03:02 AM
The spell Bloodwind (SC) turns your melee unarmed/natural attacks into ranged attacks.

Kaje
2016-10-19, 03:08 AM
Bloodstorm Blade can do this easily.

SangoProduction
2016-10-19, 03:10 AM
I edited the OP.

Crake
2016-10-19, 03:19 AM
The spell Bloodwind (SC) turns your melee unarmed/natural attacks into ranged attacks.

I was going to suggest this as well. If you have nothing better to spend your swift actions on, an item of at will blood wind will let your unarmed attacks count as having a 20ft range increment, which I believe is better than throwing, which is just 10ft. It will also only cost 2000gp, or 4000gp if you make it slotless, rather than the +1 cost you would have to put on an amulet of natural attacks, which is immediately more expensive (at least 6000gp for just putting it on a +1 amulet). That is, of course, assuming that you have no other uses for your swift action, because you would need to use the item every round that you wanted a ranged unarmed strike.

It's also worth noting that bloodwind is also a poor man's reach spell, since you can deliver a spell through an unarmed attack.

SangoProduction
2016-10-19, 04:04 AM
I was going to suggest this as well. If you have nothing better to spend your swift actions on, an item of at will blood wind will let your unarmed attacks count as having a 20ft range increment, which I believe is better than throwing, which is just 10ft. It will also only cost 2000gp, or 4000gp if you make it slotless, rather than the +1 cost you would have to put on an amulet of natural attacks, which is immediately more expensive (at least 6000gp for just putting it on a +1 amulet). That is, of course, assuming that you have no other uses for your swift action, because you would need to use the item every round that you wanted a ranged unarmed strike.

It's also worth noting that bloodwind is also a poor man's reach spell, since you can deliver a spell through an unarmed attack.

True true.

Inevitability
2016-10-19, 04:48 AM
You won't happen to be a warforged?

http://65.media.tumblr.com/9dcb9aefd676a1d1bbe1d4b401ffb997/tumblr_nx3hmtMreM1u99teao1_1280.jpg

weckar
2016-10-19, 04:51 AM
Heh, Robo. Now there is a Gondsman you can bring to the races.

Gruftzwerg
2016-10-19, 06:40 AM
"Go Go Gadget-o-Rocket-Punch"
OP asked how to fluff it, there you go xD

SangoProduction
2016-10-19, 09:26 AM
lol I like it.

Jowgen
2016-10-19, 09:59 AM
Every creature is capable of exerting "Mental Effort", a "mundane form of telekinesis, too weak to move actual objects", in order to move the truly mass/weight-less Sphere of Annihilation. A ranged Unarmed Strike can be fluffed as someone gaining true mastery over this inherent ability, kind of a Dao "distance and seperation are an illusion" kind of way.

The only hitch here is that you need to somehow justify this mental form of telekinesis as counting as a natural attack, for the purpos of effects that trigger upon contact with a natrual attack (e.g. poison).

Telonius
2016-10-19, 10:55 AM
EDIT: nm, already mentioned.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-19, 10:59 AM
I've used it in two ways: either I do the wuxia thing and hit things from afar using either ki or a shockwave, or I hurl my whole body almost like an attack-action charge. Thing is, neither is exclusive. Just make sure you have returning if you're fluffing it as a ki-type attack.

SangoProduction
2016-10-19, 11:03 AM
I've used it in two ways: either I do the wuxia thing and hit things from afar using either ki or a shockwave, or I hurl my whole almost like an attack-action charge. Thing is, neither is exclusive. Just make sure you have returning if you're fluffing it as a ki-type attack.

Why would returning be useful for ki-type attack?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-19, 11:07 AM
Why would returning be useful for ki-type attack?A.) So you can use your throwing unarmed strike more than once per limb, and B.) so you have a reason to tell the DM that you're not ripping off your own limbs and throwing them.

SangoProduction
2016-10-19, 11:11 AM
A.) So you can use your throwing unarmed strike more than once per limb, and B.) so you have a reason to tell the DM that you're not ripping off your own limbs and throwing them.

OK, so by Ki-type attack, you mean 'throwing your limbs'.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-19, 11:50 AM
OK, so by Ki-type attack, you mean 'throwing your limbs'.Crunch: You throw your unarmed strike.

My Fluff: I punch, a wave of physical energy strikes my target.

DMs I've had: "You rip your limb off and chuck it."

The goal is to prevent the latter one.

Jormengand
2016-10-19, 11:55 AM
Necklace of Natural Attacks explicitly calls out throwing returning as a possible enchantment, so if you want your unarmed strikes to return to you then that's presumably necessary. However, one thing I like about unarmed strikes is that your whole body can be used for unarmed strikes, therefore if you have throwing, you can chuck yourself at someone to end up in melee range, or chuck yourself onto a ledge, or so forth. You can even just use it to move ridiculously fast.

Manyasone
2016-10-19, 11:56 AM

http://65.media.tumblr.com/9dcb9aefd676a1d1bbe1d4b401ffb997/tumblr_nx3hmtMreM1u99teao1_1280.jpg
You made my 'Cool' list, man. Chrono Trigger is one of the best snes rpg's in existence

Inevitability
2016-10-19, 12:08 PM
Crunch: You throw your unarmed strike.

My Fluff: I punch, a wave of physical energy strikes my target.

DMs I've had: "You rip your limb off and chuck it."

The goal is to prevent the latter one.

After adding Returning:

DMs Maxi's had: "You rip your limb off and chuck it: it then flies back and lands at your feet."

You made my 'Cool' list, man. Chrono Trigger is one of the best snes rpg's in existence

:smallcool:

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-19, 12:08 PM
You can even just use it to move ridiculously fast.The DC to hit a 5' space is 5, I believe, so take TWF, gloves of the balanced hand, Far Shot, the distance weapon quality, the accuracy spell, levels in monk, and a ring of feather falling, and flurry your way at ridiculous speeds. Who needs to run or fly when you can Naruto your way along at hundreds of miles per hour?

Troacctid
2016-10-19, 02:06 PM
However, one thing I like about unarmed strikes is that your whole body can be used for unarmed strikes, therefore if you have throwing, you can chuck yourself at someone to end up in melee range, or chuck yourself onto a ledge, or so forth. You can even just use it to move ridiculously fast.
No you can't. Attacks don't cause the attacker to leave their square. And unarmed strikes use part of your body, not the whole thing.

Âmesang
2016-10-19, 02:09 PM
Liu Kang's flying kick special move does come to mind, though…

John Longarrow
2016-10-19, 02:19 PM
Just get the head of Vecna and throw that! LOL

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-19, 02:19 PM
No you can't. Attacks don't cause the attacker to leave their square. And unarmed strikes use part of your body, not the whole thing.But unarmed strikes can use your entire torso in a body-check.

Question: If someone throws you, do you leave your space?

Inevitability
2016-10-19, 02:39 PM
But unarmed strikes can use your entire torso in a body-check.

Question: If someone throws you, do you leave your space?

I think the important distinction is that said person would be throwing you, not your unarmed strike.

Then again, the monk description does say their entire body is a weapon...

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-19, 02:51 PM
I think the important distinction is that said person would be throwing you, not your unarmed strike.If the entirety of your torso leaves your space at well under light-speed, I can only imagine that the rest of your parts would follow.

Inevitability
2016-10-19, 03:25 PM
If the entirety of your torso leaves your space at well under light-speed, I can only imagine that the rest of your parts would follow.

We're considering the possibility of limbs stretching a few dozen feet in this thread: why not employ the same principle to explain a person's torso being the only thing leaving their space? :smalltongue:

That said, I do agree with you, just for different reasons. See also: the second paragraph in my previous post.

John Longarrow
2016-10-19, 03:31 PM
I think the important distinction is that said person would be throwing you, not your unarmed strike.

Reminds me of a build where a giant is dual wielding human monks, each of whom is dual wielding halfling monks...

Troacctid
2016-10-19, 04:24 PM
But unarmed strikes can use your entire torso in a body-check.
No they can't. Unarmed strikes can used "with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet." There's no basis in the rules for using your entire torso for an unarmed strike. And even if you could, you wouldn't leave your square to do so.

Are you sure? Because I have the Player's Handbook in front of me right now, and the monk description I'm seeing says nothing of the sort.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-19, 05:24 PM
No they can't. Unarmed strikes can used "with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet." There's no basis in the rules for using your entire torso for an unarmed strike. And even if you could, you wouldn't leave your square to do so.Then tell me how a throwing unarmed strike works, Troacctid. I'm all ears.

Also, body slams are a thing, as are shoulder-checks and headbutts. Unarmed strikes can conceivably be made with almost anything.

digiman619
2016-10-19, 05:27 PM
Then tell me how a throwing unarmed strike works, Troacctid. I'm all ears.

You've never heard of throwing a punch?

Troacctid
2016-10-19, 05:34 PM

Stretchy limbs
Rocket punch
Spring-loaded boxing glove
Ki blast
Voluntary dismemberment (hopefully combined with regeneration)

Take your pick. *shrug*

This isn't an issue that's exclusive to throwing unarmed strikes. Regular unarmed strikes can target people 10 feet away, and they don't cause you to leave your space.

nintendoh
2016-10-19, 05:48 PM
Is noone else getting a mental image of takahashi from negima. Ranged unarmed strikes with ijustu focus. He pulls his hands out of his pockets to smash someone 30 feet away with airpressure.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-19, 05:50 PM
Stretchy limbs Not supported by RAW, and it's reach anyways
Rocket punch Not supported by RAW
Spring-loaded boxing glove Not supported by RAW
Ki blast Not supported by RAW
Voluntary dismemberment (hopefully combined with regeneration) Only supported by one feat

Take your pick. *shrug*

This isn't an issue that's exclusive to throwing unarmed strikes. Regular unarmed strikes can target people 10 feet away, and they don't cause you to leave your space.But you're not throwing anything. You're standing there and using superior reach to hit stuff. That's as close to "stretchy limbs" as you get.

Troacctid
2016-10-19, 06:07 PM
Stretchy limbs Not supported by RAW, and it's reach anyways
Rocket punch Not supported by RAW
Spring-loaded boxing glove Not supported by RAW
Ki blast Not supported by RAW
Voluntary dismemberment (hopefully combined with regeneration) Only supported by one feat

Take your pick. *shrug*

This isn't an issue that's exclusive to throwing unarmed strikes. Regular unarmed strikes can target people 10 feet away, and they don't cause you to leave your space.
But you're not throwing anything. You're standing there and using superior reach to hit stuff. That's as close to "stretchy limbs" as you get.
If you think you literally need to throw the weapon, then the only method that will work is one that detaches your fist from your arm. I don't think that's an unreasonable interpretation of the rules as written, but I don't see how it supports your position, since it would clearly exclude charging body-slams.

Ramza00
2016-10-19, 06:24 PM
The distance between here and there is an illusion. It exists in some realities but not in others, by learning how to center yourself you can exert your force and effect the destination of your attack merely by guiding your body with your mind's eye and then letting go and release.

Seto
2016-10-19, 06:38 PM
Just throwing that out there (http://ssbmercurious.mattsoft.net/images/submissions/characters/nintendofanboy/rayman_l1.jpg)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-19, 06:41 PM
Just throwing that out there (http://ssbmercurious.mattsoft.net/images/submissions/characters/nintendofanboy/rayman_l1.jpg)Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSVXoFlhi1w

Gruftzwerg
2016-10-20, 12:10 AM

Also, body slams are a thing, as are shoulder-checks and headbutts. Unarmed strikes can conceivably be made with almost anything.

see my post at page 1:

- Disembodied Hand Invocation
- Kensai to gives your hands the returning ability (not needed but nice to have^^)
= take one hand into the other > throw it (mission accomplished I guess xD )