PDA

View Full Version : AL legal melee caster

Chewychunga
2016-10-19, 03:15 AM
Looking for a way that I can build a melee caster
I would really like to be decent in melee and able to cast 8/9 lvl spells (not just slots)
I was looking at blade singer but everything I've read is if something does hit you your dead
Suggestions?
Adventure league legal please
I'm fairly new to 5e used to 3.5 so tips / reasons why are really helpful
Thanks to all in advance
Chewy

Reshy
2016-10-19, 03:23 AM
I would really like to be decent in melee and able to cast 8/9 lvl spells (not just slots)
I was looking at blade singer but everything I've read is if something does hit you your dead
Suggestions?
Thanks to all in advance
Chewy

Paladin 8 + Bard 12 is what I'm using. Paladin 6/Bard 14 gets 9th level spells and a ton of goodies. You get the ability to turn spell slots into additional damage on a melee strike, paladin resistances, charisma to saves, and if you chose Oath of the Ancients you get spell resistance as an aura (costs you your 9ths though).

Eldritch Knight is a mishmash of caster and fighter, probably the most interesting to do with a fighter, mind.

Bard in general is a pretty decent class, Valor bard can be a melee combatant pretty well.

Arkhios
2016-10-19, 03:30 AM
Paladin 6/Bard 14 only gets 7th level spells known, but 9th level spell slots.

A full Valor Bard with a cap of 16 levels might be the way to go for you.
It nets you 8th level spells known and spell slots both, and can perform reasonably well in melee.

Str 10, Dex 15+1, Con 13+1, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 15+1
vHuman with +1 dex, +1 cha, and Resilient Con +1 would be a safe bet to go with.

Next feat you'll definitely want is either War Caster if you prefer sword & board or Medium Armor Master for AC 18 with Half-Plate (medium armor). Or both, with subsequent levels (4th: War Caster, 8th: Medium Armor Master)

Either way you'd be best wielding rapier as your weapon.

Chewychunga
2016-10-19, 05:22 AM
So a dex based build would it be decent to take Mage armor as one of my spells? Or shield?
And what type of fighting is better for melee? If I have smite I know I'm prob going to blow a ton of spell slots with that (just who I am) so I want a decent melee when I'm outa slots
And what makes Valor better than one from scag?

Arkhios
2016-10-19, 05:39 AM
So a dex based build would it be decent to take Mage armor as one of my spells? Or shield?
And what type of fighting is better for melee? If I have smite I know I'm prob going to blow a ton of spell slots with that (just who I am) so I want a decent melee when I'm outa slots
And what makes Valor better than one from scag?

I believe you mistake Bard for Sorcerer. Both of us were talking about a Bard, and Bards didn't get sub-classes in SCAG. Neither does a bard have access to Mage Armor nor Shield, nor do they have to, since they have armor proficiencies (light armor from the start, and College fo Valor (Bard sub-class) gains medium armor, shields, and martial weapons on top of that later, at 3rd level).

If you really wanted those 8th level spells known and spell slots, like you said in original post, you'd have to take at least 15 levels in Bard, so you wouldn't get smites nor a fighting style, but you would get Extra Attack at 6th level, and be able to cast a cantrip and make a weapon attack as a bonus action at 14th level.

If, however, you are interested in Paladin/Bard mix, then you could forget what I said about dex build, because with paladin you're much better suited wearing heavy armor and heavy weapons, might even take great weapon master if you'd like to. And you wouldn't get much benefit from mixing a Paladin with Valor bard. in fact you would lose abilities that could be more useful than a redundant Extra Attack which you get from Paladin already.

Arnie82
2016-10-19, 05:52 AM
2 paladin / 18 sorcerer (dragon)

This gives you good ac with heavy armor, shield, defensive fighting style, and shield spell. Your hp is equal to a d8(dragon +1 hp) compared to the blade singers d6. 18 levels in sorcery gives you level 9 spells, and you can take both scag cantrips to help raise your damage or make yourself sticky.

Arnie82
2016-10-19, 06:06 AM
I believe you mistake Bard for Sorcerer. Both of us were talking about a Bard, and Bards didn't get sub-classes in SCAG. Neither does a bard have access to Mage Armor nor Shield, nor do they have to, since they have armor proficiencies (light armor from the start, and College fo Valor (Bard sub-class) gains medium armor, shields, and martial weapons on top of that later, at 3rd level).

If you really wanted those 8th level spells known and spell slots, like you said in original post, you'd have to take at least 15 levels in Bard, so you wouldn't get smites nor a fighting style, but you would get Extra Attack at 6th level, and be able to cast a cantrip and make a weapon attack as a bonus action at 14th level.

If, however, you are interested in Paladin/Bard mix, then you could forget what I said about dex build, because with paladin you're much better suited wearing heavy armor and heavy weapons, might even take great weapon master if you'd like to. And you wouldn't get much benefit from mixing a Paladin with Valor bard. in fact you would lose abilities that could be more useful than a redundant Extra Attack which you get from Paladin already.

Mixing valor bard with paladin would be a great way to get level 8/9 spells!

2 paladin / 18 bard (valor)

Now you can have the high level spells, 2 attacks, and you can steal the paladin's best spells at bard level 10. Battle magics at 14 bard is a nice addition as well.

Specter
2016-10-19, 06:30 AM
Apart from what was already said, I'd go Abjurer 18/Fighter 2. Tanks harder than 90%, stops other casters and can cast two spells in one turn. Defense fighting style, breastplate and shield gives you 19 AC (if you can manage 14DEX), which doesn't become obsolete like in 3E. You actually don't even need a weapon.

Arkhios
2016-10-19, 06:34 AM
Mixing valor bard with paladin would be a great way to get level 8/9 spells!

2 paladin / 18 bard (valor)

Now you can have the high level spells, 2 attacks, and you can steal the paladin's best spells at bard level 10. Battle magics at 14 bard is a nice addition as well.

Of course, if you're willing to wait for 8th character level to get Extra Attack which you could've had 2 levels earlier if you were just a Valor Bard without paladin levels, or 3 levels earlier if you started as a paladin and went to 5th level straight.

Extra attack is kinda the "key" of being an efficient melee character. It works in all conditions (normal to anti-magic) as opposed to certain cantrips, which, while undeniably good, are still spells. And if spells don't work, you're screwed with only one attack, while you could've had two.

Sir cryosin
2016-10-19, 06:37 AM
Arcane cleric you get to pick 2 wizard cantrips and you get light and med armor prof. You later get high wizard spells. Your a d8 hit dice. If you play a dwarf or elf you get so weapons proficiency's. I my last character was a arcane cleric at lv 4 hp was 41 ac was 18, 20 if I poped shield of faith. For more melee pick up booming blade or green flame blade.

Arnie82
2016-10-19, 07:11 AM
Of course, if you're willing to wait for 8th character level to get Extra Attack which you could've had 2 levels earlier if you were just a Valor Bard without paladin levels, or 3 levels earlier if you started as a paladin and went to 5th level straight.

Any level about 3 in Paladin the OP loses level 9 spells. It's something he stated he wanted to keep in his post.

Going straight valor bard doesn't work because it's more squishy then blade singer.

With what the OP stated, paladin 2/ valor 18 looks like the best answer.

Outside of what the OP request, you are only bihind 3 levels for getting the extra attack, but you spell slots, and you bard spell progression are ahead. Making it about a push.

Added with edit: As far as extra attack being required. That's not completely true. WhIle extra attack helps when magic can't be cast. Cantrips are better if you don't have a magic weapon and the opponent has resistance to none magical weapons.

Arkhios
2016-10-19, 07:24 AM
Any level about 3 in Paladin the OP loses level 9 spells. It's something he stated he wanted to keep in his post.

Going straight valor bard doesn't work because it's more squishy then blade singer.

With what the OP stated, paladin 2/ valor 18 looks like the best answer.

Outside of what the OP request, you are only bihind 3 levels for getting the extra attack, but you spell slots, and you bard spell progression are ahead. Making it about a push.

Just how would a Valor bard be more squishy than a bladesinger? I mean honestly, Bard has d8 hit die while a wizard only has d6, valor bard gets medium armor and shield proficiencies, with Medium Armor Master as suggested that will be AC 20 (at minimum!) with Half-plate, Shield and Dexterity 16+ - at all times, as opposed to slightly more twice per long or short rest for 1 minute (that's only 10 rounds of combat) at a time. Bard can choose to learn Cure Wounds, a wizard cannot. Bard can choose to learn Healing Word, a wizard cannot. Both get Extra Attack at 6th level, so they are equal in that regard. Both get 9th level spells, neither is more powerful than the other in that regard. Bard can learn spells from other spell lists, at 10th level as a Valor Bard, but still, they can.

In all honesty, bladesong is nice and powerful, sure, but it doesn't compete with staying power which the Valor Bard is able to get in terms of both hit points, and more consistent Armor Class. Plus Valor Bards get proficiency with all weapons, not just one extra, like Bladesinger.

Arnie82
2016-10-19, 07:28 AM
Arcane cleric you get to pick 2 wizard cantrips and you get light and med armor prof. You later get high wizard spells. Your a d8 hit dice. If you play a dwarf or elf you get so weapons proficiency's. I my last character was a arcane cleric at lv 4 hp was 41 ac was 18, 20 if I poped shield of faith. For more melee pick up booming blade or green flame blade.

Great thought! This might be the most straight forward way to go. I always forget about Arcane cleric.

Arnie82
2016-10-19, 09:08 AM
Just how would a Valor bard be more squishy than a bladesinger? I mean honestly, Bard has d8 hit die while a wizard only has d6, valor bard gets medium armor and shield proficiencies, with Medium Armor Master as suggested that will be AC 20 (at minimum!) with Half-plate, Shield and Dexterity 16+ - at all times, as opposed to slightly more twice per long or short rest for 1 minute (that's only 10 rounds of combat) at a time. Bard can choose to learn Cure Wounds, a wizard cannot. Bard can choose to learn Healing Word, a wizard cannot. Both get Extra Attack at 6th level, so they are equal in that regard. Both get 9th level spells, neither is more powerful than the other in that regard. Bard can learn spells from other spell lists, at 10th level as a Valor Bard, but still, they can.

In all honesty, bladesong is nice and powerful, sure, but it doesn't compete with staying power which the Valor Bard is able to get in terms of both hit points, and more consistent Armor Class. Plus Valor Bards get proficiency with all weapons, not just one extra, like Bladesinger.

Looking at half Elf bard vs high singer using standard array.

Half elf: dex15+1, con 15+1, cha 14+2
High elf: dex 14+2, con 13, int 15+1

At level 4 a half Elf bard will have 2 extra hp per level and AC 19 with the need to take war caster for the feat to cast.

The singer with have 17 all the time and 20 while using blade song. With the shield spell it can jump to 25. Feat would be +2 dex.

So at level 4 I would give the advantage to the bard for staying power. Healing you self will spell slots is almost a push vs using shield. Both burn up slots, and while healing is more versatile but shield is better action economy.

At level 8 the bard can take medium armor master giving them 20 AC.

The singer will take +2 dex and cast haste. That leaves the singer with 18 AC, 20 with haste, 23 with blade song, and 28 with shield. At level 8 the the blade singer has 3 attacks because of haste, so more close combat offense but the bard can still help. To me, the faster something dies the less healing you need.

To me this is a slight edge to blade singer. As you level up it will only get better for the blade singer by pumping int next. Granted the bard could take haste and shield to help even that out. The blade singer could take toughness to over come the HP issue and have equal HP to the bard.

At the end the bard would take 2 feats with warcaster and medium armor master. If you push your dex to 20 that leaves your charisma at 18.

The blade singer can take dex to 20. Then take int to 20 as well, or take it to 18 and take toughness to fix it's HP.

Level 20 bard with haste is 22AC, 7 hp per level with con 14. While the singer has 20 AC with haste, and 30 AC with blade song and shield. HP for the wizard con 13 is 7 per level because of toughness.

PeteNutButter
2016-10-19, 09:19 AM
Suggestions?
Thanks to all in advance
Chewy

FYI adventures cap at level 15 in AL, so unless you go to a lot of conventions you'll never see level 20. But in the spirit of what you are saying, you want to be as close to a full caster as possible.

You have several options, the best start with 1-2 fighter levels or 2 paladin levels. After 1-2 fighter it is common to go warlock or wizard. After 2 paladin levels it is common to go warlock, sorcerer or bard.

Sorcerer is handily the most optimized. Quicken spell on a gish is the dream, being able to quicken your highest level spell and still swing your sword is something unheard of in 3.5 (aside from things like sudden quicken, but I digress). If you looking for optimization go paladin sorcerer. There are plenty of tips on these forums about the build as well as a guide.

RulesJD
2016-10-19, 09:25 AM
Suggestions?
Thanks to all in advance
Chewy

There are only 2 real choices (if you're looking to optimize). Which you pick largely falls on whether you want to focus on combat casting only, or focus on more powerful magics and more versatility at later levels.

1. Fighter 2/Abjuration Wizard+

or

2. Paladin 2/Draconic Sorcerer+

#1 if you want the most powerful spellcasting class and immensely more versatility (Find Familiar alone)

#2 if you want the most powerful combat casting. They don't get Absorb Elements which sucks, but other than that Metamagic is supremely powerful in combat.

Start in Fighter/Paladin for Heavy Armor proficiency (means you can dump stat Dex).

PeteNutButter
2016-10-19, 09:52 AM
There are only 2 real choices (if you're looking to optimize). Which you pick largely falls on whether you want to focus on combat casting only, or focus on more powerful magics and more versatility at later levels.

1. Fighter 2/Abjuration Wizard+

or

2. Paladin 2/Draconic Sorcerer+

#1 if you want the most powerful spellcasting class and immensely more versatility (Find Familiar alone)

#2 if you want the most powerful combat casting. They don't get Absorb Elements which sucks, but other than that Metamagic is supremely powerful in combat.

Start in Fighter/Paladin for Heavy Armor proficiency (means you can dump stat Dex).

Important note: In AL you have to choice either SCAG or EE when making your character.

No one can have both absorb elements and BB/GFB. Basically just forget about absorb elements in your build because GFB/BB are mandatory for a gish without extra attack.

RulesJD
2016-10-19, 10:36 AM
Important note: In AL you have to choice either SCAG or EE when making your character.

No one can have both absorb elements and BB/GFB. Basically just forget about absorb elements in your build because GFB/BB are mandatory for a gish without extra attack.

Close, but wrong.

Wizards can scribe spells from any source. So have a SCAG Wizard (thus getting BB/GFB) and simply find a Scroll of Absorb Elements and write it to your spell book.

Tada.

tieren
2016-10-19, 10:46 AM
Consider ranger 3/caster 17.

Ranger seems to get overlooked as a MC dip, but you get the armor and weapon proficiencies, fighting style, an extra skill, and at 3 can pick up horde breaker, which triggers off a weapon attack, not the attack action so should synergize with the BB/GFB cantrips.

Arnie82
2016-10-19, 11:21 AM
Consider ranger 3/caster 17.

Ranger seems to get overlooked as a MC dip, but you get the armor and weapon proficiencies, fighting style, an extra skill, and at 3 can pick up horde breaker, which triggers off a weapon attack, not the attack action so should synergize with the BB/GFB cantrips.

What caster would you take with ranger?

Would you try and line up the wisdom with druid or cleric?

Chewychunga
2016-10-19, 11:22 AM
Thanks to all the comments
So far it's pally/bard (multiple combos)
Pally2/sorc18
Fighter2/wizard18
Arcane cleric - not sure how this on how this one works
I'll also look into ranger/caster

tieren
2016-10-19, 11:30 AM
What caster would you take with ranger?

Would you try and line up the wisdom with druid or cleric?

Personally I am a big druid fan and like ranger/druid as a theme but I don't usually play melee rangers. Melee druid means moon circle, which if that was what you were looking for you probably already would have known it.

Ranger Wizard is a bit Mad compared to pally/sorc, but not so much more than fighter/wizard.

The ranger spells you might pick up don't need to be Wis dependent, even carrying along an extra heal or goodberries could be beneficial to almost any build.

I agree with the poster about going abjuration with your wizard levels.

Specter
2016-10-19, 11:38 AM
Personally I am a big druid fan and like ranger/druid as a theme but I don't usually play melee rangers. Melee druid means moon circle, which if that was what you were looking for you probably already would have known it.

Ranger Wizard is a bit Mad compared to pally/sorc, but not so much more than fighter/wizard.

The ranger spells you might pick up don't need to be Wis dependent, even carrying along an extra heal or goodberries could be beneficial to almost any build.

I agree with the poster about going abjuration with your wizard levels.

Or use Cure Wounds with your massive Wizard slots to become a massive healer.

Mad Puppy
2016-10-19, 12:32 PM
I'm gonna go a little different here and say
Valor Bard16/Storm Sorcerer4 (could flip this for Valor Bard4/Sorcerer 16)

9th level spells, Sorcery points for quicken, as well as Sorcerer melee spells.
Valor Bard has 2 attacks and medium armor and Martial weapon proficiencies, magical secrets
Bard16 has more spells(my preference), and more skills with expertise
Sorcerer16 has a number of attack spells (also attainable through magical secrets)

options for Feats:

Lucky (luck points in battle)
Armor master feats
Martial adept (maneuvers)
Defensive Duellist

I think there is a lot of options here

another one is Rogue(swashbuckler)/Bard

Sneak attack
4 Expertise skills
Swashbuckler moves

tieren
2016-10-19, 12:44 PM
I'm gonna go a little different here and say
Valor Bard16/Storm Sorcerer4 (could flip this for Valor Bard4/Sorcerer 16)

9th level spells, Sorcery points for quicken, as well as Sorcerer melee spells.
Valor Bard has 2 attacks and medium armor and Martial weapon proficiencies, magical secrets
Bard16 has more spells(my preference), and more skills with expertise
Sorcerer16 has a number of attack spells (also attainable through magical secrets)

He doesn't want 9th level slots, he wants actual 9th level spells, which means he needs 17 levels in a single caster class.

CursedRhubarb
2016-10-19, 03:41 PM
With AL capping at lvl 15 8th level spells would mean single class only and 9th are unavailable sadly. With that aside, Druid, Land, Coast 10/ Ranger, Hunter 5 could be effective. Go Wood Elf and with standard stats you start with:

Str 10
Dex 15 (+2)
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 16(+1)
Cha 8

First ASI to get War Caster then the other two to max Wis.

Dueling Fighting Style.

How you would want to do the levels could vary but once you have Shillelagh it becomes the go-to for melee. Just carry a club or quarterstaff, or both.

You get 5 druid cantrips and up to lvl 5 druid spells and slots (4,3,3,3,2). 4 ranger spells and 1st and 2nd lvl ranger slots (4,2)

Plus always having Mirror Image and Misty Step available is nice for melee.

Shillelagh + Hunter's Mark + Extra Attack + Dueling Style would be nice, or you can have a bunch of creatures in the melee with you (Giant Insect is terrifying)

You could even get up to 18 or 19 AC. Bauldur's Gate games had armor from Ankheg shells that druids could wear for high armor so not inconceivable that druids could get a Breastplate or Half-Plate made of Ankheg shell or wood. Scales from reptilian or aquatic creatures could also make scale mail for 18AC.

Chewychunga
2016-10-19, 06:27 PM
thanks to everyone who has been helping
I keep seeing people mention that AL stops at lvl 16.. why is that? or is that when players normally just quit?
Also as far as builds i am willing to give up the 9th lvl spells if it makes melee alot more viable
im just starting in AL so im trying to learn about it as well as 5e :P

Mad Puppy
2016-10-19, 06:31 PM
He doesn't want 9th level slots, he wants actual 9th level spells, which means he needs 17 levels in a single caster class.

Actually he said 8/9th which I take to mean 8th or 9th.
But that is just nitpicking.
I went 4th for the Feat/Stat bump

Specter
2016-10-19, 09:37 PM
If 8th-level spells are acceptable, Abjurer 16/Fighter 4 can be nice for an extra feat. All archetypes can be decent.

Battlemaster: neat maneuvers like Evasive Footwork, Parry and Rally for support and defense.
Champion: Crits harder with weapon attacks.
Eldritch Knight: 9th-level spell slots and Weapon Bond
Purple Dragon Knight: Minor healing

Gastronomie
2016-10-19, 10:01 PM
I keep seeing people mention that AL stops at lvl 16.. why is that? or is that when players normally just quit?
Also as far as builds i am willing to give up the 9th lvl spells if it makes melee alot more viable
im just starting in AL so im trying to learn about it as well as 5e :PAL games progress through official campaigns, like "Rise of Tiamat" or "Out of the Abyss". However, all of the official campaigns published at the moment go from only levels 1 to 15.

This means that no matter how hard you try, you can never gain access to level 9 spells in AL.

Paladin 2/Sorc X seems pretty similar to what you're going for, so you might wanna try it out. If you're okay with more melee-viable builds, Paladin 6/Sorc X is better since you get Aura of Protection and Extra Attack (GFB does not always work; if your enemies are standing apart from each other, its damage will be a lot lower than two attacks).

Look at the link in my sig for more information.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-10-20, 03:17 AM
I played a High-Elf Arcana Cleric 1/Abjuration Wizard X. It was good, with high armor from Cleric, shortsword proficiency from race, and taking Booming Blade with the subdomain cantrips. I was delayed one level on wizard spells, but not on slots.
Clerics have a very nice level 1 spell list, which you can pick from every day, and the Domain spells from Arcana meant I had more space in my spellbook.

Best of all was having 9 different Cantrips at level 2. That was a lot of fun.

Bugado25
2016-10-20, 07:04 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Bladelock. Fighter 1/ Fiend Bladelock X works pretty well. You would have high armor class (plate and maybe shield if you're going sword and board), you could get defence as a fighting style for an extra bonus and would have tons of Temporary HP. Armor of Agathys gives a good amount of extra hp and a high damage when someone hits you.

Take devil sight and you could use darkness to make everyone attacks you with disavantage while you attack with advantage (remember that the enemies can simply try to leave the area and that you would block your friends line of sight)

About how would an Arcane Cleric Work.
At first level Arcane Clerics gain access to two wizard cantrips, the ones worthy of mention in this case being Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade.

You would have a good armor class(Medium armor+shield) and at 8th you would be able to add your wisdom to your cantrips damage, what would make your damage comparable to a sword and board fighter without dueling till 11th level.

My sugestion would be taking Wood elf for shortsword proficiency (as Arcane clerics only get simple weapons) or Variant Human taking Magic Iniciate for Shillelagh, what would make you SAD on Wis (you would still need 14 in dex for medium armor AC). Another option would be taking Heavy Armor Proficiency for a Str based build.

Any cleric, except for light and knowledge ones, can be decent in melee taking magic iniciate for Booming Blade, as your spellcasting ability modifier does nothing to the cantrip.

Take light for an extra healing, resulting in extra tankiness. Tempest for being able to blast when needed and Nature for being SAD (as you would be able to take shillelagh). Divine Strike makes an better job than potent spellcasting keeping your damage up, as you get a second d8 at 14th.

Unfortunatly, war domain does not do much for you, as you would not be able to use War priest because it requires attack action, and guided strike ain't enough to compare to the other domains IMHO.

An advice i give is that, unless you have some good way to use your spell slots without interfering with your main action, as by using smites in case of Pala/Sorcs and prayer of healing, spiritual weapon, spirit guardians, healing word for Clerics, most of the time, it will be a better option to just cast a spell than to use your melee attack.

By early levels that ain't a problem as you don't have many spell slots so you will be using cantrips a lot. But starting at around 7th level you have enough spell slots for getting thought the day.

Bladelocks don't suffer from that problem, as they only have two spell slots. Clerics and Pala/sorcs have other good ways to use slots, as i said above. Wizards probably have too, in their gigantic spell list, but they usually have better ways to use their actions than cantrips or extra attacks. I don't know about bards.

IMO, a trap in making full caster gishs is focusing in your attacking stat instead of focusing in your casting stat. By mid and high levels your casting will be better than your melee no matter what you do.

I suggest, for everyone with the possible exception of the bladelock, leaving your attacking stat at 16 and upgrading your casting stat first or fiding a way to use your casting stat for your melee. 16 is high enough for having a decent melee capability.

RulesJD
2016-10-20, 08:46 AM
im just starting in AL so im trying to learn about it as well as 5e :P

Don't listen to them, they are flat wrong.

For example, I have an AL legal level 18 Abjuration Wizard, a level 17 Paladorclocks, and a level 17 Fighter/Barb.

1. Those books are not limited to level 15 for AL play. You can run through all of Rise of Tiamat and end up at level 15, then take that same character and run through Out of the Abyss, gaining a few more levels that one.

2. Additionally, there are the "Modules" or "Expeditions" depending on how you want to call them. 2-4 hour games that go up to (currently) level 16, so if you play all of the higher level expeditions you can make level 17 when you 'level out' of them.

3. There are DDAO (Author Only) adventures that can only be run by the modules specific author. Two of the DDAOs are currently Tier 4, meaning levels 17-20 characters only. There will be one or two public access (on the DMsG) T4 adventures available by roughly sometime in November or early December

Bruno Carvalho
2016-10-20, 09:13 AM
I would go for a Dragon Sorcadin. Dragon Sorcerer 18 or 17/Paladin 2 or 3.

Actually I think Sorcerer 14/Pally 6 is a better build, but it only got spells up to 7th level (9th level Slots, but whatever) and the Aura of god saves is very nice, but if you still wish to keep it with 9th level slots that the most you can do.