PDA

View Full Version : Rules-light System for Colonization Game

The_Unknownbone
2016-10-19, 05:09 AM
I'm working on a very rules-light system for a fantasy colonization game. At the moment, I'm trying to come up with a list of skills for players to choose from. To that end I thought I'd come here and get some outside input. What skills would you want to see in a game like this? They can be as vague or specific as you like, just interested to see what potential players would be looking for.

On the same note, what other things would you look for in a system for a game about exploration and colonization, where the focus is on roleplaying and storytelling?

StardustReborn
2016-10-20, 03:10 PM
It depends entirely on the system you are using. But if you are looking for a light system, I would stay with a d6 (or multiple d6) mechanic.

I would use hexes (you can get a pack of 100 1" hex sheets on Amazon for about $8.00). I'm not sure what type of exploration/colonization you are thinking about for your game. Is this a new land ripe for colonization? Or capital cities in a vast wilderness setting that hardly anyone knows what is beyond the walls?

Tell me more about your game theme ideas and I'll gladly come up with something.