PDA

View Full Version : At will spells with metamagic?

Falcii
2016-10-19, 07:24 AM
I am about to start getting several spells at will on my Beguiler build. I also have several metamagic feats. How does applying metamagic to an at spell work, say the range doubling one or silent and still spell, if normally it increases the spell level, but here there is no spell slot used at all.

Mordaedil
2016-10-19, 07:31 AM
You need a spellslot of the right level to use a metamagic with it and the casting time increases to a full-round action to cast it.

schreier
2016-10-19, 07:42 AM
Also - The feat Rapid Metamagic (Complete Mage, p. 46) -When you apply a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell, the spell takes only its normal casting time.

Necroticplague
2016-10-19, 07:49 AM
Depends. What method are you using to get at-will spells? Normally, the methods I know of involve turning the spell into an SLA, which would stop you from being able to add metamagic to it.

schreier
2016-10-19, 08:00 AM
Sorry - I misread - are you talking about reserve feats? If so - then ya, no metamagic

nedz
2016-10-19, 01:18 PM
Are these SLAs (Spell Like Abilities) or Spells ?

"At Will" is normally associated with the former - not the latter.

If they are SLAs then there are several SLA only Metamagic feats you could use - also you can use any Metamagic feat which doesn't increase the spell level (e.g. the Sudden X feats).

Falcii
2016-10-19, 03:27 PM
Sorry for the confusion, the spells in mind are from loredelver levels and the feat come from just taking them, I genuinely dont know what reserved feats are.

But no loredelver does not say they are spell like abilities

Necroticplague
2016-10-19, 03:40 PM
Sorry for the confusion, the spells in mind are from loredelver levels and the feat come from just taking them, I genuinely dont know what reserved feats are.

But no loredelver does not say they are spell like abilities

Actually, it does say they're SLAs.

Detect Magic (Sp): A loredelver develops a preternatural sense for the presence of magic. At 2nd level and higher, you can use detect magic (as the spell, page 219 of the Player's Handbook) at will.
Bold for emphasis. SP is short for Spell-like ability, just as EX is for Extraordinary and SU is Supernatural. So it's an SLA, and you can't apply metamagic to it. In fact, the ability to use it is entirely separate from your spellcasting ability. However, being an SLA also has several upsides, like not having any verbal, somatic, material, focus, or XP components.

Falcii
2016-10-19, 03:46 PM
Gah reading is hard. Ty so much