PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Druid+Wu Jen Prestige class.

AnothisFlame
2016-10-19, 08:06 AM
So I'm running a game for an... interesting group of players. One of whom wants to be a Wu Jen/Druid because they wanted to raise bugs and throw magic talismans around. I figured, Eh sure we can reskin/refluff the wu jin and take this feat+varient class and bam bug companion. But now the games getting to the point where they're looking to prestige. Any ideas?

Venger
2016-10-19, 08:51 AM
are they looking to progress both halves of their casting? if so it'll narrow the field a lot.

AnothisFlame
2016-10-19, 09:17 AM
Well frankly speaking they want to advance their arcane spellcasting and get a bigger bug, which is why I asked here. I can't remember any class that does animal companion and arcane spell casting. If it comes down to it I can just can just homebrew up something but I'll still need a good point of reference. I think an ideal class for what they want would be something that advances both castings with the bug getting bigger as the main points of the class... But I can't remember such a thing existing....

Xerlith
2016-10-19, 09:23 AM
Arcane Hierophant. 10/10 Arcane and Druid spellcasting and full Animal Companion progression. It also makes it so your Animal Companion is also your familiar for an overall improvement.

AnothisFlame
2016-10-19, 09:25 AM
Ah TY, I'll look into that.

Inevitability
2016-10-19, 09:58 AM
There isn't much arcane/divine theurges, and even less that work with the two classes you specified. You'll probably find yourself with three main choices.

The first is Mystic Theurge. It's easy to enter, gives full advancement on both sides, and oh right, it's boring as hell. Maybe fill a few early or late levels with it, but switch to a better class if possible.

The second is Arcane Hierophant, which is much better. Full advancement on both sides again, but this time it comes with wild shape progression, better HD, and some class features.

Finally, there's Folchuran Lyricist, which has the harsh requirement of Evasion. I would avoid it.

Sure, with some ridiculous effort you could enter True Necromancer or Yathrinshee, but why bother? They're heavily necromancy-oriented and even then straight wizard or cleric is considered stronger.

Venger
2016-10-19, 10:10 AM
There isn't much arcane/divine theurges, and even less that work with the two classes you specified. You'll probably find yourself with three main choices.

The first is Mystic Theurge. It's easy to enter, gives full advancement on both sides, and oh right, it's boring as hell. Maybe fill a few early or late levels with it, but switch to a better class if possible.

The second is Arcane Hierophant, which is much better. Full advancement on both sides again, but this time it comes with wild shape progression, better HD, and some class features.

Finally, there's Folchuran Lyricist, which has the harsh requirement of Evasion. I would avoid it.

Sure, with some ridiculous effort you could enter True Necromancer or Yathrinshee, but why bother? They're heavily necromancy-oriented and even then straight wizard or cleric is considered stronger.

if you can burn two feats, shape soulmeld (impulse boots) and open least chakra (foot) grabs you evasion without losing any class levels, which is already a problem for theurges

Inevitability
2016-10-19, 10:32 AM
if you can burn two feats, shape soulmeld (impulse boots) and open least chakra (foot) grabs you evasion without losing any class levels, which is already a problem for theurges

Burning two feats is something not all builds will have the luxury of doing, though. Theurges are notably more feat-intensive than other casters.

Venger
2016-10-19, 11:01 AM
Burning two feats is something not all builds will have the luxury of doing, though. Theurges are notably more feat-intensive than other casters.

Right, like I said, if possible (flaws are allowed, player doesn't have anything to do with feats, game is low-op, etc)

SangoProduction
2016-10-19, 11:21 AM
You could redo one of the pre-existing dual-casting classes like Mystic Theurge. You're the DM, and you are wanting something like this to be in your game, so I don't see the problem with it.