PDA

View Full Version : Tanky Barbarian. Maybe Gestalt?

Gwazi Magnum
2016-10-19, 03:31 PM
Looking at classes for a campaign meant to be more silly/laid-back by nature.

For $#!+$ and giggles I want to be a Barbarian who focuses mainly on taking a beating, with damage being secondary.
Any idea what kind of things (Mechanically or RP wise) I should be looking at for this?

I already plan for the following:

Max Constitution ASAP
Hill Dwarf
First Feat is Tough

Specter
2016-10-19, 03:32 PM
A fighter level for Second Wind would be nice.

GlenSmash!
2016-10-19, 04:28 PM
In addition to Maxing Con grab Sentinel to lock movement down. You can get Tough too if you want to really max those hitpoints. Taking average HP each level you'd have what... 345 Hitpoints by level 20 with 24 Con? Potentially more if you roll HP, providing you roll well.

Don't forget the most important part of tanking: Make enemies want to attack YOU instead of your allies. Barbarians have one of the best abilities to encourage this in Reckless Attack. Use Reckless attack liberally.

Traditionally you would want to go Bear totem for a Tank to get the extra resistances while raging and that's probably the strongest option, but I'll suggest something a little more rare. Since you are already a Dwarf go Battlerager. You'll get +Con Temporary Hitpoints while Raging and Recklessly Attacking. Since you are already maxing Con you'll be getting the most out of those Temp HP that you possibly can. Plus with the boost to Unarmed strikes you could drop your weapon, Grapple a foe, and headbutt them to death while still getting a +2 AC from your shield. I guess you could shield bash, kick, knee, or elbow them to death with unarmed strikes but I like headbutts better. the Dash as a bonus action will help you get in you next enemies face quicker, and the Spiked Retribution will make anyone who hits you take damage.

If you can get some +X to AC Spiked Armor you'll be a real monster. +X Half-Plate If you go Totem. +X Shields are obviously also desirable. Defender Sword would be your weapon of choice I would think.

Gwazi Magnum
2016-10-20, 12:18 AM
In addition to Maxing Con grab Sentinel to lock movement down. You can get Tough too if you want to really max those hitpoints. Taking average HP each level you'd have what... 345 Hitpoints by level 20 with 24 Con? Potentially more if you roll HP, providing you roll well.

Don't forget the most important part of tanking: Make enemies want to attack YOU instead of your allies. Barbarians have one of the best abilities to encourage this in Reckless Attack. Use Reckless attack liberally.

Traditionally you would want to go Bear totem for a Tank to get the extra resistances while raging and that's probably the strongest option, but I'll suggest something a little more rare. Since you are already a Dwarf go Battlerager. You'll get +Con Temporary Hitpoints while Raging and Recklessly Attacking. Since you are already maxing Con you'll be getting the most out of those Temp HP that you possibly can. Plus with the boost to Unarmed strikes you could drop your weapon, Grapple a foe, and headbutt them to death while still getting a +2 AC from your shield. I guess you could shield bash, kick, knee, or elbow them to death with unarmed strikes but I like headbutts better. the Dash as a bonus action will help you get in you next enemies face quicker, and the Spiked Retribution will make anyone who hits you take damage.

If you can get some +X to AC Spiked Armor you'll be a real monster. +X Half-Plate If you go Totem. +X Shields are obviously also desirable. Defender Sword would be your weapon of choice I would think.

This sounds pretty interesting. Do you know what book has Battlerager, cause I can't seem to find it in the PHB and no where online seems to mention it's source.

CaptAl
2016-10-20, 12:37 AM
This sounds pretty interesting. Do you know what book has Battlerager, cause I can't seem to find it in the PHB and no where online seems to mention it's source.

Sword Coast Adventurers Guide has the rules for Battlerager. It's not the most optimal choice for a tanky character, but the flavor is fantastic.

Gwazi Magnum
2016-10-20, 01:17 AM
So Gestalt got confirmed, and now I'm debating making the second class Sorcerer.
Though my main concern here is no spellcasting while raging.

Sword Coast Adventurers Guide has the rules for Battlerager. It's not the most optimal choice for a tanky character, but the flavor is fantastic.

Thanks!

Though looking at it in more detail I think I'd stick with Totem. Resistance vs Magic is too good. XD

GlenSmash!
2016-10-20, 06:44 PM
So Gestalt got confirmed, and now I'm debating making the second class Sorcerer.
Though my main concern here is no spellcasting while raging.

Thanks!

Though looking at it in more detail I think I'd stick with Totem. Resistance vs Magic is too good. XD

Oh yeah. Bear Totem is fantastic. I have to ask, Why Sorcerer?

CaptAl
2016-10-20, 08:13 PM
I'd suggest going Rogue for gestalt. Reckless Attack for an almost guaranteed sneak attack every single round, plus uncanny dodge for halving damage on top of your already ridiculous damage resistance.

MeeposFire
2016-10-20, 09:57 PM
I'd suggest going Rogue for gestalt. Reckless Attack for an almost guaranteed sneak attack every single round, plus uncanny dodge for halving damage on top of your already ridiculous damage resistance.

If you go far enough you also get evasion with your barbarian ability to get advantage on dex saves. Even if you start off as a barb that should be some nice additional defense.