PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sylvanas Windrunner build...but the best one

Eilif
2016-10-19, 05:23 PM
I've been playing pathfinder for a good long while now, but recently made the jump to 5th edition. During my less creative days, I made a pretty good clone of Warcraft's Banshee Queen, Sylvanas.

I just finished up my first 5e campaign, where I went straight fighter, and am about to jump into a friends campaign that's at a half way point. The party that he has now has a bunch of melee PCs and I wanted to try my hand at a more complicated character (plus I want to see what multiclassing is like in this edition), so I figured I'd just update my Sylvanas clone from pathfinder to 5e. It's a fun character to play and it shouldn't take me very much time at all. I think I was wrong.

I mean, I have a build in mind, but I feel like there must be a better way to do it. I have seen pretty impressive things on here and you all have a much better understanding of 5e than I do. So I figured I'd post what I was thinking and maybe someone will be inspired.

It might be reaching, impossible to include everything that I feel like I want, especially in 10 levels. I'm not usually a minmaxer, but a lot of my soon to be party members are and I'd like to not be the super under powered in comparison.

So, Sylvanas is an undead high elf. She uses a longbow and shoots arrows that are poisonous/enchanted with corruption. She is extremely mobile and looses many arrows at a time, as she moves between vantage point. Aside from being deadly with a bow, she also has the abilities (in all her incarnations) to silence spellcasters and dominate the minds of her opponents, taking control of their actions. She's a fearsome warrior but also duplicitous and cunning leader.

In D&D terms, I was thinking a Drow with Fighter 2/ Rogue (assassin) 3/ Mystic (ascended) 5 levels. Since I'm starting at 10, probably getting up to second attack at Fighter 5, then going straight Rogue after that.

This gives me multiple ranged attacks with decent damage, and the Ascended lets me use Conquering Mind to mess with people's minds.

Alternatively, I was thinking Arcane trickster (5 levels)/ Deepstalker conclave Ranger (5 Levels)- That gives me 3 attacks (i think) if I move before the enemies (3 poison arrows in their back) and I can take the Enchantment spells from the trickster....

None of these really focus on her undeadness... but as the recent World of Warcraft lore has established she has no way of raising new undead herself, I have ignored things like necromancer and death cleric. I'm not even sure how I would fit that in anyways... not that I'm opposed to it, just clueless!

GlenSmash!
2016-10-19, 07:12 PM
It looks pretty solid to me. Have you considered the Revenant race from Unearthed Arcana?
https://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf

CantigThimble
2016-10-19, 08:24 PM
Well, it might be a little less interesting of a build than you wanted but have you considered Valor Bard 10?

You'll get extra attack, medium armor and all the mind control you could want, including but not limited to:
Dissonant Whispers, Charm Person, Crown of Madness, Enthrall, Suggestion, Hypnotic Pattern, Compulsion, Confusion, Geas and Dominate Person. You can use Magical Secrets at 10th level to pick up Swift Quiver and Hex. Swift quiver can get you up to 4 attacks per round with a bow and hex can add necrotic damage to your arrows.

On top of that, you get bardic inspiration and a host of illusions, 'duplicitous and cunning leader' indeed.

With this you'll pretty much be starting with all her iconic abilities. Fighter, rogue and ranger would all be solid options for progressing after this. I'd definitely grab the archery style from somewhere. 4 more levels of bard for war magic are an option but I don't think they're as essential as dominate person so it's really up to you where to take the build from here.

Eilif
2016-10-26, 11:47 AM
I had completely forgot about the revenant. I ended up going with a revenant Valor Bard. When we level up next I am going to take level in Fighter so I can pick up the archery fighting style. I also went with the apothecary background and after some talking to the DM, we decided that I will pretty much manufacture poisons for all my arrows. I also took the sharpshooter feat. I feel like after the fighter dip I will be pretty complete.

Thanks for the ideas.