PDA

View Full Version : Making a flood with magic?

Braininthejar2
2016-10-19, 06:50 PM
I need a river passing by a city to break its banks, to stall a siege.

How can it be done effectively if both sides have casters?

An improvised dam would not be hard to blow up. Flashflood is much too small.

Control weather is better - by the time the enemy counters, the water will already be there - but that's a temporary solution - is there any trick to make it last longer? What other ways can be used to cause a flood? are there any items or anything similar to circle magic, that could amplify the effect? I need to stall the siege for about a week.

Zanos
2016-10-19, 07:44 PM
Control Water?

MisterKaws
2016-10-19, 08:03 PM
Twin Repeated Widened Flashflood?

You'll need DMM, though.

illyahr
2016-10-19, 08:19 PM
Get a prepared caster to put create water in every one of their spell slots. Cast them all. At 2 gallons/caster level, it shouldn't take much.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-10-20, 01:11 AM
Get a prepared caster to put create water in every one of their spell slots. Cast them all. At 2 gallons/caster level, it shouldn't take much.

I think you underestimate how little 40 gallons of water is. An olympic swimming pool has some 66,000 gallons of water in it. And while that's a pretty big pool, it's not going to cause a flood.

Ruethgar
2016-10-20, 01:27 AM
War Create Water can do a bit better 25*CL*2 gallons 8 gal per cu ft. I once abused that with the feat that replaces Gnome SLAs to get CL?iIterations of a 1x5x5 ft cube of water. (CL? Is shorthand for a function that is the sum of all positive numbers up to CL, so 3?=3+2+1).

Also, Precipitate Complete Planar Breach(or something to that effect) to the plane of water would be a pretty significant flood potentially.

Or Powdered Water, can technically be created as an attended object from Prestidigitation(though true creation would be more RAI). 1oz to 1gal if I remember, you could make quite a bit of it.

weckar
2016-10-20, 02:00 AM
As I have recently learned: when something needs destroying or at least heavy damaging nothing quite beats Tornadoes (control winds).

Moreso if you can stack on it, in order: Elemental Substitution (Cold), Flash Frost & Explosive Spell.

It's like a more violent LCB that has a safe hole built in.

Inevitability
2016-10-20, 03:24 AM
Tsunami? It's a (Creation) spell, so all that water has to go somewhere.

Braininthejar2
2016-10-20, 04:29 AM
Well, losing a large part of the siege camp along with all the soldiers would be a major setback :smallcool:

An extended control weather from a druid could cause 4D12 x 4 hours of heavy downpour somewhere upriver...

Just to make sure - if multiple people cast contradictory "control weather" there is no contest, just whoever casts last?

sleepyphoenixx
2016-10-20, 08:18 AM
If you can cast Control Weather you could just summon up a bunch of Oreads (SNA 6) and Earthquake the whole thing until there's nothing left but rubble. No need to get elaborate and there's very little the enemy can do to defend against it since Earthquake is long range. Summon at the edge of the range and chances are the enemy won't even spot your Oreads before they have bigger problems.

About contradictory Control Weathers, per the rules it's "whoever last used a standard action to designate the weather". Since it takes 10 minutes for any changes to occur pretty much nothing happens.
Personally i'd let the casters make opposing CL checks, but that's a houserule.

Braininthejar2
2016-10-20, 09:32 AM
That's true too. The siege will be over, one way or another, the moment the high level characters on either side decide to throw caution to the wind and go all out.

illyahr
2016-10-20, 11:51 AM
I think you underestimate how little 40 gallons of water is. An olympic swimming pool has some 66,000 gallons of water in it. And while that's a pretty big pool, it's not going to cause a flood.

Yeah but one casting creates 333 pounds of water. Make a force cube, fill it with 17000 pounds of water, dismiss the force cube. Not as flashy as other methods, but a lot of fun. :smallbiggrin:

denthor
2016-10-20, 12:00 PM
If both sides have casters you want a stall?

Look a necromancy spells

5th level waves of fatigue.

6th level waves of exhaustion

Combined with improved invisibility you can stop workers if they can not dig or work 8 hours at a time there is delaying tactics. There is feat that can double that time

lylsyly
2016-10-20, 12:06 PM
Yeah but one casting creates 333 pounds of water. Make a force cube, fill it with 17000 pounds of water, dismiss the force cube. Not as flashy as other methods, but a lot of fun. :smallbiggrin:

But that is only 2048 gallons of water, not much flood there. Where's Gandalf when you need him:smallbiggrin:

Braininthejar2
2016-10-20, 02:36 PM
can air elementals interact with the weather in any way beyond becoming whirlwinds themselves? Herding clouds or something?

Mordaedil
2016-10-21, 04:37 AM
It is said that on the elemental plane of air, air elementals herd tiny cloud elementals like sheep and they stare at the great sky lying on a Altocumulus cloud and pondering what better he could do with his life as he guards the tiny cloud elementals against the dreaded thunderclouds.

Or so they would have, if the elementals weren't completely invisible.