PDA

View Full Version : Monk Ability Priorities

AchwardSilence
2016-10-19, 07:32 PM
In my continuing endeavor to make my monk character (thank you for the input to those who responded to my previous threads), I find myself at another crossroads: Ability scores.

I rolled two 16s and an 18. I'm prioritizing Con, Dex, and Wis, so as a half-elf I can increase two of those by 1. By Level 15, where the character is starting, I can have a 20, two 18s, and a feat; two 20s, a 16, and a feat; or two 20s, an 18, and no feat (ignoring the option of a 20 and two 19s).

Which option would you choose, and how would you prioritize the three? I don't know if AC, HP, or Wis modifier (which going Long Death helps determine the number of temp HP I get when I down opponents) is better.

For the record, if I take a feat, I'm looking at either Lucky, Tough, Martial Adept, or maybe Mobile (probing not Mobile). Also, with the MC I'll likely be doing, I'll already have two Combat Maneuvers but won't have Diamond Soul yet.

Thank you!

Naanomi
2016-10-19, 07:37 PM
20 Dex and wisdom, 16 Con; for a feat take lucky, alert, or mobile. IMO

lunaticfringe
2016-10-19, 07:40 PM
2 20s (Dex, Wis), a 16 (Con), and a Feat (Mobile, Defensive Duelist, or Lucky) gets my vote.

AchwardSilence
2016-10-19, 08:55 PM
So it seems topping off my AC is better than bolstering HP?

I'm leaning toward Lucky. I don't really need the movement bonus from Mobile, and getting inside the character's head, he's not the kind to step away from a scuffle, and if he needs to, it's probably important enough to disengage or burn Ki. Defensive Duelist sounds good, but he fights with a pair of brass knuckles, so it doesn't really feel right (though the image of dismissively backhanding a sword blade away from him does kind of amuse me).

Neither of you like Tough?

Naanomi
2016-10-19, 09:04 PM
Monks don't tank by taking the hits. They avoid the hits by maneuverability (not being where they can be hit; mobility helps doubly here) or evasion (AC plus ki-fueled dodge action). Death monks have a temp hp buffer for the cases when they do get thumped. Toughness just assumes you get hit (and isn't a highly rated feat in most evaluations anyways)

Defensive Deulist needs a weapon, but an offhand knife (fan?) should do it

Willie the Duck
2016-10-19, 09:16 PM
Ac, Initiative, attacks, damage, Dex saves, acrobatics and stealth rolls. If there's one die that you will be rolling (or you opponents rolling against you), chances are your Dex is the biggest factor. Wisdom next, although a 18/18 Wis/Con split would not be horrible (or another ASI into stats).

lunaticfringe
2016-10-19, 09:20 PM
What Naanomi said. Toughness might be Good if you went Hill Dwarf, with 16 Con your getting 11HP/Level with average HP. But ya didn't.

Sooooo Avoid is the Plan. Mobile is Sexy because of the free Disengage from Punching People. You didn't seem keen on it so Defensive Duelist is a good runner up. Monks are made for Skirmish, only take hits when you have to.

Specter
2016-10-19, 09:25 PM
20dex, 18wis and 16con is fine, I say. You get two feats going that way. Tough is pretty nice for everyone, especially because you're already got the CON save. I'm not fond of Defensive Duelist because it applies to only one attack and uses your reaction. Mage Slayer can be an alternate solution, to stun wizards before they do anything and save with advantage against them.

AchwardSilence
2016-10-19, 09:55 PM
Monks don't tank by taking the hits.

The problem with that is that he's bad at being a monk. Just like you can make a fighter be a thief, but you'd be better off making a rogue, he's a monk who thinks more like a barbarian. That doesn't mean he won't maneuver in a fight, but he's probably going to get hit more often than a "correctly" played monk would be.

Mobility would definitely be nice, and I'm considering it, but I can't help but think that being able to take a punch might be better.

Lucky would help bolster his cocksuredness. Martial adept would supplement his fighting style with a couple extra dirty tricks.

SillyPopeNachos
2016-10-20, 05:12 AM
The magic initiate and lucky feats are both really good, picking one of those and maxing dex and wis will help your career as a monk