PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items that Give DR

Yogibear41
2016-10-19, 10:38 PM
Hey all, I'm looking for magic items that give some amount of DR. I am mainly looking for things outside of the DMG and the MIC as I have already looked over those and picked out the items that give DR from them. I am also aware of the Impact armor from Magic of Eberron.

Was curious if anyone had any suggestions on items that provide DR outside of the sources I have already listed. Thanks :smallsmile:

Venger
2016-10-19, 10:54 PM
Hey all, I'm looking for magic items that give some amount of DR. I am mainly looking for things outside of the DMG and the MIC as I have already looked over those and picked out the items that give DR from them. I am also aware of the Impact armor from Magic of Eberron.

Was curious if anyone had any suggestions on items that provide DR outside of the sources I have already listed. Thanks :smallsmile:

I think there's some armor in eberron that gives dr/byeshk.

there's always the astral vambraces from magic of incarnum, too. they're a soulmeld and not an item, so you can get them with either an incarnate dip or the shape soulmeld feat.

Gruftzwerg
2016-10-19, 11:31 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#invulnerability

Invulnerability: +3 Armor enhancement gives 5/magic and can be put on any armor or with crafting rules on your bracers of armor (the target item needs an +1 enhancement bonus to AC to be a valid target).

But imho, the Point where you can effort a DR item is almost to late and not worth it in most cases. To make DR work, you need enemies who attack often but don't hit so hard. And with rising level, this becomes a rare scenario. Cause the game becomes more rocket tag. If the enemies start hitting for 40, 50+ the 5/magic DR won't make much off a difference, when you look at how many swings you can east from the enemy.
A permanent blur item or a activate able displacement item will bring you much more reliable defense.

If you aren't fighting big armies of low lvl fighters/monsters in your campaign, skip DR for something better. But if you fight big swarms of enemies, this becomes incredible strong.

Venger
2016-10-19, 11:38 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#invulnerability

Invulnerability: +3 Armor enhancement gives 5/magic and can be put on any armor or with crafting rules on your bracers of armor (the target item needs an +1 enhancement bonus to AC to be a valid target).

But imho, the Point where you can effort a DR item is almost to late and not worth it in most cases. To make DR work, you need enemies who attack often but don't hit so hard. And with rising level, this becomes a rare scenario. Cause the game becomes more rocket tag. If the enemies start hitting for 40, 50+ the 5/magic DR won't make much off a difference, when you look at how many swings you can east from the enemy.
A permanent blur item or a activate able displacement item will bring you much more reliable defense.

If you aren't fighting big armies of low lvl fighters/monsters in your campaign, skip DR for something better. But if you fight big swarms of enemies, this becomes incredible strong.

Yeah, spending actual resources getting dr isn't worth it. it's better to invest in a miss chance, such as a minor cloak of displacement instead. even a dozen goblins roll 20s sometimes

Fizban
2016-10-20, 03:31 AM
ECS, eberron shard items, armor: Stonemeld. DR 5/- and more for a flat cost, within Artificer infusion limits.

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-20, 05:58 AM
Dude isnt asking for miss chances, hes asking for DR. So lets try being helpfull, okay?

Earthsilk shirt from races of stone is nonmagical DR. If you can adjust race, vril (race from oone of the drow or underdark books. Make sure you find the erratta) get DR that can change.

The DR vs. Byeshk Venger mentioned is from a 3 feat chain.

I remember seeing a few martial PrCs that can brew potions that give DR. Dont remember where though.

Fizban
2016-10-20, 07:50 AM
I remember seeing a few martial PrCs that can brew potions that give DR. Dont remember where though.
You're probably thinking of Anointed Knight (BoED), but those are basically just class features fluffed as having come from a potion, no duplicability or transferability given. With enough cha bonus you can get it in a single level dip, otherwise it's about the same as any other PrC that gives DR except you only get 3/- instead of 5 or 6.

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-20, 12:30 PM
You're probably thinking of Anointed Knight (BoED), but those are basically just class features fluffed as having come from a potion, no duplicability or transferability given. With enough cha bonus you can get it in a single level dip, otherwise it's about the same as any other PrC that gives DR except you only get 3/- instead of 5 or 6.

Hmm... I wonder if level drain could get stacking DR, if you abuse the fluff and hold on to the potions. Also I think the version I saw was evil, but did about the same thing.

SorenKnight
2016-10-20, 12:47 PM
The only item I can think of off the top of my head is the Belt of Stoneskin, but that's Pathfinder and has a cap on how much damage it can absorb a day.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-20, 02:15 PM
Also I think the version I saw was evil, but did about the same thing.
There is an evil version of the same PrC, Warrior of Darkness.

You can get some okay DR with Astral Vambraces, but no more than 18/magic, and that's with 15 incarnate levels, a feat, and a magic item (~10 000 gp). It's probably more efficient to take a nice template, such as quasilycanthrope, for DR 10/silver. That's hard enough to overcome, but combined with a living breastplate, you have DR 10/silver and byeshk, which is impossible to beat, barring specific magic.

Fouredged Sword
2016-10-20, 02:27 PM
There is an armor crystal that can do this for a set amount per day. I actually like it as an addition to my squishier characters. GMV your no acp armor to +5 and slap a Iron ward diamond, greater armor crystal on it and for the cheep price of 8,000 gp you to can have an extra 50 HP in up to 10hp increments each time you are hit with a physical attack without messing with your other enchantments.

Erit
2016-10-20, 02:53 PM
There's a series of shirts in the MiC that grant DR 3, each one being bested by a specific alignment or damage type.

Braininthejar2
2016-10-20, 03:40 PM
There is earthplate armor in MiC - once a day it casts a 90 damage stoneskin for 90 minutes, also gives 5 foot tremorsense while the armor effect lasts. It's pretty expensive though.

Braininthejar2
2016-10-20, 03:44 PM
also, if you're high enough level, shapechange into a rakshasa, then use its SU transformation ability to change back into yourself - you'll have 15/good piercing.

darkdragoon
2016-10-20, 07:36 PM
Earth elemental grafts (Magic of Eberron)

Dragon grafts?

That's it not counting a wand/dorje of Stoneskin or Immovability etc.

Rebel7284
2016-10-20, 09:08 PM
The spell Mineralize Warrior will give you DR8/adamantium and +1 LA

Fizban
2016-10-20, 10:57 PM
Hmm... I wonder if level drain could get stacking DR, if you abuse the fluff and hold on to the potions. Also I think the version I saw was evil, but did about the same thing.

There is an evil version of the same PrC, Warrior of Darkness.
The Warrior Darkness gets their DR as a separate feature from "scarification" rather than its magic brew tables.

Another non-gear option, but more variable than a PrC: take the Planar Touchtone feat and plug in to the Were-Glade: once per day (and a total of twice per recharge) you can go werewolf. Doesn't specify weather you should count as afflicted or natural, but that's at least DR 5/silver.

Or even more simply if you're looking at feats, Roll With It from Savage Species just gives you 2/- per feat, as long as you have the 20+ con required to take it.

Fouredged Sword
2016-10-21, 06:24 AM
I did a.stacking roll with it build once. It was lots of fun on my dwarf crusader / incarnate / ironsoul. Each time you take it you stack. Mixes well with high energy res.

ShurikVch
2016-10-21, 05:17 PM
Should it be "constant" DR, or just "temporary"?

Anyway, epic Ring of Ironskin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/rings.htm#ironskin): DR 15/adamantine.